Close

Anonymous

Default 83 capri hatch swap bubble to strait window, can it be done?

i'v done a search, and i see people swapping bubble hatches out from their 79 capris for 85 GT hatches... but nothing about swapping same model year hatches from Bubble to strait window...
    I wanted to know if it would be possible to swap a strait window hatch out of an 83 capri RS and put it in an 83 capri RS with a bubble hatch... would the locking mechanisms be different, would the tail lights line up. if the tail lights didn't line up could i swap in different ones?
    ~J
    P.S. if i posted in the wrong place could someone move my post.. thanks

Malleus Banificarum

I wanted to know if it would be possible to swap a strait window hatch out of an 83 capri RS and put it in an 83 capri RS with a bubble hatch
    All 83-86 Capris came with the bubble hatches, all 79-82 Capris came with the same hatches as Mustangs...

Anyway...

If you do it (which I'm not a fan of, cos the bubbles are so hard to find), you'll want to swap rear bumper and taillights. The bubble bumper looks atrocious with a flat hatch. Someone had done this to my RS and I demanded the bubble be put on otherwise I'd not buy the car. Looked really, really bad...

If it's an 83, any 79-84 Mustang rear bumper cover will work, or 79-82 Capri, they're the same. You'll need tail light housings as well as lenses. They are completely different than Mustang/early Capri style. Also, due to the way the bumper is up and around the license plate area, the car may need to be painted there when swapping to a different bumper cover.

Anonymous

the latches wouldn't be a problem?
    i think i should just find another car..
    thanks
    ~J

ALL units from the '83 model year had the 'bubble' hatch as OE or was that an early- or mid-model-year changeover?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Malleus Banificarum

Started with the beginning of Model Year 83. Not a changeover.

Latches wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, if this car is not already in your possession, just look for a flat-hatched Capri to start with. You'll be ahead and hopefully another bubble back car can keep part of its identity.