Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1985 Mustang low-miles stock cat-back

Name:  IMG_4499.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  93.2 KBPutting feelers out there.

My 1985 Mustang GT that I bought as a roller has an incredibly nice original cat-back on it. You know the one - dual 2.25" exhaust. The parts I'm talking about includes the cat to muffler pipe (midpipe), stock mufflers, and stock tail pipes. Its low mileage and nice.

I am also thinking about just running this stock stuff on my car as the big performance gains come from induction work on the motor then better headers, and a bigger X or H pipe with cats that I have......

AFAIK, the mufflers are good to go up to significant power levels. Albeit most people upgrade the mufflers and tailpipes first to get more rumble -- the cheap way.

Anyway, the original parts for that minty restored ride just aren't getting any newer or easier to find. These parts have been long gone on every other fox I've ever owned.

Make me a reasonable offer realizing what they are and pay for shipping from the Austin TX area.

Otherwise "1985-006", my four eyed Saleen build keeps its minty cat-back.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-21-2018 at 10:52 PM.

I received a PM. FYI your inbox is full

we will be dropping the rear axle as part of the rebuild. That is about the only way the stock cat-back will come out or go in without cutting the factory welds. Not difficult just more work than a typical exhaust job.

Ive been asked about $$$ and I don't have a specific number in mind. I feel like I should be able to at least replace this one with an OE quality aftermarket kit. Especially given the value of this to the right car based upon what's there.

Its not for just anyone. It's worth it to the guy with a special car. A Saleen, a Preditor, an ultra low miles or concourse level restoration for a show car GT, etc.

Many owners will just shrug and throw on kit and call it a day. I'll either do that after someone who wants this is found or I'll just run them.

Get any more pics yet ?

Sorry - the car is in a shop near Austin getting built. I'm in Nebraska. when the guys get a chance they will snap some more.

Interested, but definitely need more pics than the one posted to back claims of it being mint. I have the “special” car for them, but still have the original exhaust on the car. If better than what I have, I would be interested in upgrading. Even have an extra stainless catback that would be perfect for yours. ��

More pics. They need a little metal polish taken to them but overall nice for their age!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-23-2018 at 11:06 PM.

A few more

keep in mind the car is currently a roller. No motor or trans so the exhaust is tied up but hanging a bit wonky at the moment. Just needs to be properly positioned in its mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-23-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Just went and looked at OE quality exhaust kits. It's going to cost around $440 to replace the catback with a near OE quality kit.

Stock is not for everyone but show cars do best with these parts and they are getting harder to find. Would be a bit of a waste for me to run them.

Whatever you decide, just make sure the shop knows how to remove these without cutting off the tails.
    It's not as hard as it looks...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

They know, but I'll remind them.

I've decided to pull these and not run them on my build. As much as I love the sound of old school stock everything this is not the car for that.

Where I've landed on it is I will be rolling Austin to Omaha when the car is done then Omaha to Charlotte when I go out to the SCOA event. I can meet whomever wants to buy the catback along the way. I plan to sell it cash only in person. $440 buys it because that's what it's costing me to buy a decent OE quality car back that is not obnoxious.

Haven't they already been cut in front of the mufflers already? Did the factory connect them with exhaust clamps like that? I'd have to go crawl under mine to compare...but I'm too lazy at the moment
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I am not sure. My 86 was that way in front of the muffler but it had been apart multiple times before I bought it.

tailpipe to muffler is factory weld which is what shocked me so much.

OK, the suspense was killing me I stand corrected....I just looked at my factory exhaust on my '85 GT and they certainly did use typical exhaust clamps to connect the flow-tubes to the mufflers. Only welds are muffler outlet to the tailpipe.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Whatever you decide, just make sure the shop knows how to remove these without cutting off the tails.
    It's not as hard as it looks...
    Don't worry the shop know how to remove the tail pipes and mufflers as a single unit without cutting them.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Exhaust system removed from car.

Name:  2018-02-27 17.36.37.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  170.4 KB

Name:  2018-02-27 17.35.49.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  170.1 KB

Name:  2018-02-27 17.35.55.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  174.7 KB

The mid pipes were connected to the mufflers with clamps. Mid pipes were cut off before the mufflers. The connection will most likely need to be heated up a bit for removal of the short sections of mid pipes left, but shouldn't cause any damage to the mufflers during removal.

Tail pipes are definitely stainless steel, but need some TLC to shine again. Much of the overspray came off with a power washer, but the rest will take some elbow grease.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Stock headers.

Name:  2018-02-27 15.13.23.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  2018-02-27 15.13.37.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  154.4 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The stock headers looked nice and were original to the 1985 GT they were on. Also willing to sell those headers either with the mufflers or separately. The parts are in the Austin area now but will be making their way back up I35 landing in my storage in Omaha with my car if nobody jumps on them.

Selling would help put some funds back into the build budget (which has gotten as insane as some might have assumed when I started it)

Are those mufflers and tailpipes the same as what was used on the 85.5 or 86 Svo with the y pipe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by endub View Post
    Are those mufflers and tailpipes the same as what was used on the 85.5 or 86 Svo with the y pipe?
    Good question... the stock, oem mufflers on my low mileage '86 9L are E6ZC-5232-FA (LH) and E6ZC-5230-CA (RH). Obviously the part numbers are different from those shown in this thread, but I would interested in knowing the physical dimensions and inlet location.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Wish I was closer to Austin... (did I just say that???)
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

What's the difference in '85 headers and 86+. I see the add on piece and valve on the driver side...but what does it do? Reason I ask is I will be removing my single exhaust from my '82 GT next winter to preserve it, and I am installing a factory catted midpipe that was a low mile take-off form a ~88-89. I have the mufflers and tail pipes, just need to find some headers. Was thinking 86+ headers are what I need buy really not sure the difference.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    What's the difference in '85 headers and 86+. I see the add on piece and valve on the driver side...but what does it do? Reason I ask is I will be removing my single exhaust from my '82 GT next winter to preserve it, and I am installing a factory catted midpipe that was a low mile take-off form a ~88-89. I have the mufflers and tail pipes, just need to find some headers. Was thinking 86+ headers are what I need buy really not sure the difference.
    85s are carburetad and those are for the heat risers going up to warm the choke. 86 are efi so don't need that. If you're staying carb you could use the 85 style and keep the heat risers or use the 86 style and eliminate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I get that part...but what does that extension block do that has what appears to be a vacuum valve with the short hose? Is that part of what drives the flappers in the inlet tubes or something else?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Its a vacuum operated valve to redirect exhaust back thru the exhaust crossover in the intake to heat the intake and carb during warmup. Not used on the fuel injected years.

1982 Mustang GT in progress

Default 1985 Mustang low-miles stock cat-back

As mentioned above, the flapper valve (via a vacuum signal) blocks off exhaust on the driver side of the exhaust y-pipe. This forces the driver side exhaust through the exhaust crossover in the carb intake to help with warmup. All exhaust then goes through the passenger side of the y-pipe with the little light off cat, until the engine is warm and then the flapper opens.

I know you are very familiar with the originality and showing of these cars, but it would seem to be a shame to take off the factory single exhaust twin-tip. To me, that’s one key item that really marks originality on the 82-84 (and early 85 CFI) cars (and also the 79 cars with their own version, maybe 80-81, too). Are you worried about the exhaust rusting out? I would think with the few starts that you put the car through the exhaust would outlast you and me. If you just want to try something different and get rid of the ugly factory cast iron exhaust manifolds, I can understand that, but then where do the mods on such a low mile car stop?

Sorry for hijack ... forgot this was someone else’s for sale thread, but I felt compelled to reply to sowaxeman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Saturn V; 03-05-2018 at 08:02 PM.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast