Close

Question 79 Fairmont backspacing?

Decided to concentrate on some upgrades for my 79 Fairmont Sports Coupe...
    Not having any luck with Google trying to find the backspacing on the factory 14" 4 lug steel wheels, anyone got that number?

Wanting to swap them out for some of the 4 lug 15x7 "phone dials" from an 85-93 Mustang LX and just want to make sure I'm not going to have any issues.

Thanks!

FEP Member

Not sure what size you are going to, but I have test fit 17x8's and 17x9's both with a 30mm offset on my '79 and they are perfect. Only thing is my car has had a 9" rear swapped into it so I don't know for certain if it is the stock width.

I've seen plenty of F/Zs sporting those wheels. I actually think they are the best Ford wheel on them. I don't believe you'll have any trouble.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    Not sure what size you are going to, but I have test fit 17x8's and 17x9's both with a 30mm offset on my '79 and they are perfect. Only thing is my car has had a 9" rear swapped into it so I don't know for certain if it is the stock width.
    Going to the standard 15x7 10-hole. Looks like I'll be good to go, and have a lead on a good deal to go look at tomorrow.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I've seen plenty of F/Zs sporting those wheels. I actually think they are the best Ford wheel on them. I don't believe you'll have any trouble.
    I agree. They don't really call for a muscle car wheel, and I don't care for wire spoke "thug" wheels. The 10 hole are a close match to my original hubcaps so they work.

I like ten holes. I think I have three sets. I pick em up on Craigslist with tires for $50-100 for a set of two or four.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Well I got the wheels, not a bad deal at $125 for all 4 with caps. Little acid wash and some Mothers and they're shining right up!

My factory tires are 185/75-14, will going to a 215/60-15 with these wheels cause me any rub issues?