Close

Default EFI conversion- AOD

Okay so my plans have been finalized after being on the fence for so long.

Doing the CFI to EFI conversion on the LTD, originally was going to use the T5 I have but instead have decided to keep it an automatic.

First question, will the 86 harness be alright to use with either T5 and/or AOD or will I fry my computer?

Second question, I plan on pulling the AOD out of the 93 F150 I have at home and using it since I’ve read that it should have the wide gearset and good OD band. Is that going to be straightforward to swap, and am I correct on the gears/OD?

Third question, which valve body/ shift kit should I be looking at? New converter? Car will be 99% street cruiser (future bruiser) with maybe a trip to the strip once or twice a year.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

F-150 trans is longer. Regular aod is the same length as the t-5.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

This is a rehash of what I posted for 84foxgirl.

I scared her off with too much babel, but I'm sure you'll be okay.

You really cannot use the old 1984 CFi AOD rod kickdown on a Port EFi, and the shifter has to mate to the later 93 F150 AOD. Not sure if its electronic, probably not. All truck parts have tended to use the slightly longer FMX/ C6/ C5 truck length transmission, which requires some prop shaft and trans mount thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Yup, custom builds get geeky quick alright. But its okay because somewhere, You've decided your going Port EFI,

Then hook it up to a Cable TV AOD.

That means, somehow, you gotta link it to your transmission shifter, without messing up the donar cars TV cable.

If its an 87 onwards AOD, and a Port EFI 5.0 you've got, that will be REALLY easy, but then you have to fit it in the non Aero Mustang console

"somehow".

The TV cable on the port EFI 5.0 goes to the Throttle body on the engine.

If its a Port 5.0 EFi, then you just use a cable.

The TV rod on the AOD M code 5.0 HO goes to the Central Fuel Injection unit

If you are using a 4-bbl carb, you have to fit either a rod or cable TV to the AOD transmission

Its this geeky stuff down here that varies, here it is:-

Item A. Your AOD has to use either a TV rod or cable

And

Item B. Your AOD needs to be shifted by a shift rod or cable

Four types

Type 1 Lincoln set up v

Type 2 Panther/Fox set up v

Type 3 Variation Reversed v

Type 4 Variation v

For the TV cable or rod, two types

For the 1980 to 1985 Panthers, long wheel base Foxes and the carberettor looking 84 and 85 CFi 5.0 EFI HO GT,

it was rod TV, like the C4 and FMX's and C6's from 1968 on all over again

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/10768/33518#content

Make sure the O2 harness matches the body harness, it would ground to the ECU through the clutch safety switch or the neutral safety, THAT is what will fry an ECU if not proper.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Make sure the O2 harness matches the body harness, it would ground to the ECU through the clutch safety switch or the neutral safety, THAT is what will fry an ECU if not proper.
    I’m using a harness I got from a member here out of his 86 mustang with the matching o2 sender harness.

1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    This is a rehash of what I posted for 84foxgirl.

I scared her off with too much babel, but I'm sure you'll be okay.

You really cannot use the old 1984 CFi AOD rod kickdown on a Port EFi, and the shifter has to mate to the later 93 F150 AOD. Not sure if its electronic, probably not. All truck parts have tended to use the slightly longer FMX/ C6/ C5 truck length transmission, which requires some prop shaft and trans mount thinking.
    Okay so I would need to grab the tv cable setup off of a later mustang and adapt it to the f150 transmission? And I don’t believe it’s electronic, the transmission does have a drain pan that says metric AOD on it. I’ll have to crawl under and look at how it’s set up. I have read that I will need to shorten up my draveshaft or swap tail housings

Double check and identify what the actual transmission in your '93 is. It probably came from the factory with an E40D which is not what you would want in your LTD. 4R70W's also came in the F150's behind 302 engines but I think that might not have started until '94-95 model years. For some reason I have it stuck in my head that 1991 was the last year for the AOD in trucks.

My '92 F150 w/ 302 has the E40D in it.

Default EFI conversion- AOD

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    Double check and identify what the actual transmission in your '93 is. It probably came from the factory with an E40D which is not what you would want in your LTD. 4R70W's also came in the F150's behind 302 engines but I think that might not have started until '94-95 model years. For some reason I have it stuck in my head that 1991 was the last year for the AOD in trucks.

My '92 F150 w/ 302 has the E40D in it.
    The E4 wouldn’t have a drain pan that said AOD in script on it would it?

Either way I found a guy willing to trade all his auto stuff from an 89 mustang for all my t5 stuff so I think I’ll just use that.

most important thing is to use the o2 harness from an auto, not a t5 car. You'll fry your computer otherwise. The harness itself can be repinned. Information on google about that
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip