Close

Default Found my Very first car by accident! 1978 Fairmont Sport Coupe..

Ok, you know the ending now, so I’ll give you the rest! I had bought a 1978 F100 short bed for a project.. I decided to look for a 351W.. I checked the Craigslist ads, and found one about 20
    Miles from the house..I pulled in to the guys house and introduced myself to him.. when I told him my name, he said “ I just bought something a few months ago that you used to own”. We walked behind his garage and there it was...
    My 1978 Fairmont Sport Coupe.. I bought it in 1983! The car was an original 6 cyl. With Auto. The 6cyl didn’t last long. So,
    I had a machine shop build a mild 302 and they recommended a guy named Mike to install it.. ok now skip a few years... drove the heck out of it and took it to the drag strip a few times.
    The 302 let go!! Blew it up, rod bolt broke..brought it back home with dreams of making a drag car.. started on it, then life happened.. I was getting married, and didn’t have a place or money for a project/ race car..so I traded the Fairmont for a 1979 F150 that Mike ( the engine installer).. fast forward to 1/2018. The guy that I bought the Fairmont from delivered it to my house, I asked how long ago he had bought it and who he got it from..
    He said he only had it a few months and he bought it from a guy named Mike! Yes, the engine installer, and guy I traded it to in 1989. Almost the same as it was after blowing it up almost 30 years ago... same interior and even had the tires on it that was on it when I traded it off... it has set for almost 30 years.. let the fun begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet!

'78 Fairmonts FTW!

Mike

FEP Member

Sweet! Looking forward to updates as the project comes along.

Man...That's sweet keep the update coming.

Nice!!!!

Fun times!

Just for something unique throw in a 351 striker with an SROD and a 9"
    and http://hone-o-drive.com/hone-o-drive/

Well I’ve put in a ‘69 351w, and an 8.8 posi with 3.73:1 gears, but I’ll have to keep the C4... knees can’t do the clutches anymore!

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

That's a pretty amazing lost-and-found story! Look forward to seeing more updates.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

If buying or using an older engine. Change core plugs before installing! Ask me how I know!

Great story! Good luck with the project