Close

New User

Default 1985 GT Bumper Cover Rivets

Greetings all,

I'm mostly a lurker however, due to circumstances I've had to replace my original nose on my 85 GT. My local shop who I selected to do the work mistakenly put a non-GT, non-Fog Lamp bumper cover on the car. Needless to say they are redoing it. Redoing it means the current non-foglight bumper they are going to have to repurpose the fiberglass innards and transfer them to the repop avaliable from CJ Pony Parts.

Which leads me to - rivets.

I've seen a lot of discussion about them via the search button, but nothing concrete saying the exact ones to buy on the market. I know buying the wrong length has the potential to be disasterous. I've found these:

https://www.foxresto.com/ProductDeta...79002&CartID=2

Can anyone weight in on if these are 100% correct?

Thanks,
    Stephanie
    85 GT 2nd owner was 95% original - Hood stripe going back on in a couple weeks.

Name:  20151028_174518_HDR.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  126.4 KB
    Name:  ouch.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  158.8 KB
    Last edited by zoso80; 02-20-2018 at 06:38 AM.

Those are the correct rivets it appears.

The fog lamp openings on the GTs are pretty crude. You can cut them into an LX bumper cover and it won't show- shops used to do it all the time. A little bead from a flex bumper repair kit keeps them from tearing out for years.

the stupid part here is they had to have known they had the wrong parts given the fog lamps on the car. Great example of something that should never be done to a car without getting permission from the owner FIRST.

End result here is what you get if the person doing the work plain doesn't give a damn. The type of employee that shop owner would be better off for having them work for the competition up the street so they can drive the business their way instead of away. Sad really.

New User

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was pretty upset they just did it, tossed the car at me without any communication. The critical point is when you realize the Marchal foglamps require REMOVING to install the non-fog light bumper cover. That's when at the latest I should've gotten a phone call or email. Trust me, I've given the owner the business end of the stick and shop manager. They've assured me they will be doing it right and they'll be eating the costs for blindly bolting on parts to just kick it out the door. They have saved everything. If they threw away my brackets and lamps, there was going to be hell to pay. They have not.

Here's another kicker:
    Name:  Stripe 1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  83.3 KB

They didn't didn't even do the C-Stripe right on the nose. Just terminated it at the nose/fender junction. That was just LAZY.

The profits aren't going to be great on this job for them, the manager tried to get me to buy the bumper cover from CJ Pony Parts. I told him no, he needs to buy it.

Name:  2-13-18.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  106.5 KB
    (This was last week post - wrong bumper assembly)

I took it to my mechanic yesterday. He said he hated even looking at the car with the wrong front end.

Don't blame him. My mechanic even called and gave the shop manager hell (they are friends).

It'll all work out, but what a overly complex way to get there!

Cheers.

FEP Power Member

The exact correct rivets are hard to find. The original ones have circular rings visible in the head. They should also be anodized black and not painted body color. There are generic ones out there that will work but not look correct.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

New User

Thanks.

I guess the question anyone have a lead on a NOS set? I'd prefer to keep it original.

Cheers.