Close

Default Engine build-Rockers

So I’ve decided that I want a 80/20 drag/street car. I eventually want to run a 351, current engine is a 302, so I’m building my engine around my goals. Since Im basically getting new everything I decided to just go with a solid roller. The guys at comp cam recommended this

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Code=K35-772-8

Now this kit doesn’t include rockers, but I was looking at the Ultra gold arc series from. They seems fine for my application. Now I know that shaft mounted are probably better for higher rpm applications, and I found these on eBay but I have no idea what to look for. I know shaft rollers are usually $800-1500.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172575516519

They’re a cheaper alternative and I thought it’d be fun to try for $250 compared to the $340 for the comp rockers. What are your guys thoughts on this, I’m looking to have some fun with a build I have. Currently the heads that I’m running on right now are some ported gt40s but I’m getting some AFRs 205s late summer. I’d like to bring in some dyno info to the community about different combos so I’m running my current drag setup with those heads. Would I even be able to run shaft mounted rockers on the gt40s let alone the AFRs? I heard on some AFRs you can’t run shaft but I haven’t confirmed. If I ran the comp rollers, I could always use them on the aftermarket heads.

The rockers are basically a ProComp style item of unknown quality. I wouldn't bother with shaft rockers for the cam you have picked. I you want to beef up the valve train a bit above just a normal quality aftermarket rocker, get a set of stud girdles. Locks the rockers all together, and reduces weird harmonic vibrations. Really, with that cam you should be fine with just quality rockers.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

FEP Senior Member

Frankly, to me, going cheap on valve train parts is not a good idea at all, especially with a solid roller. I have been running the Comp stainless roller rocker on my 331 for years, no issues at all. I have AFR 185 heads, with rocker studs, and no stud girdle, but I am only running a solid flat tappet cam. My buddy has the Jessel shaft rockers on his AFR 205 heads, I don`t believe he had any issues installing them.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

I appreciate the info guys, I’ll definitely go with the comp rockers. Probably the safest bet and suitable for my application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree completely with Jess and mcFairmont on those ebay no name rockers, I would not run them on anything!

I also agree with Jess that shaft rockers would be overkill and a good stud mount rocker with that cam will be completely fine. I also don't think you will need a stud girdle.

However, I have a couple of things I want to add. While you are buying rockers, go ahead and buy them for 7/16 studs (stock is 3/8 ) and purchase a good set of ARP 7/16 studs to go with them. The 7/16 studs are significantly stronger and more rigid.
    I'm by all means not knocking Comp, but you might look at Scorpion rockers. I have had very good luck with them. They are made in the USA (Florida) and come with a lifetime warranty.

These are a few bucks less than the Comps you referenced:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...1018/overview/

These are there endurance series which are not quite as strong as there race ones listed above, but are lighter and allow the engine to rev quicker. They are only about $35 more than the Comps. These would be my choice for your application.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...3018/overview/

Daniel
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

Blog Entries

Just a thought - are you actually going to be ringing this thing up to 7K? Is this a stock stroke 351?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Pm me I may have something of interest to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    Just a thought - are you actually going to be ringing this thing up to 7K? Is this a stock stroke 351?
    With the Gt40 heads probably not, but definitely when I get the afr205s. Stock stroke 302, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin'Montdude View Post
    I agree completely with Jess and mcFairmont on those ebay no name rockers, I would not run them on anything!

I also agree with Jess that shaft rockers would be overkill and a good stud mount rocker with that cam will be completely fine. I also don't think you will need a stud girdle.

However, I have a couple of things I want to add. While you are buying rockers, go ahead and buy them for 7/16 studs (stock is 3/8 ) and purchase a good set of ARP 7/16 studs to go with them. The 7/16 studs are significantly stronger and more rigid.
    I'm by all means not knocking Comp, but you might look at Scorpion rockers. I have had very good luck with them. They are made in the USA (Florida) and come with a lifetime warranty.

These are a few bucks less than the Comps you referenced:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...1018/overview/

These are there endurance series which are not quite as strong as there race ones listed above, but are lighter and allow the engine to rev quicker. They are only about $35 more than the Comps. These would be my choice for your application.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...3018/overview/

Daniel
    Thanks for your input, yeah I’m definitely going 7/16 studs. As far as rockers go, (scorpions) what can necessarily go wrong with the endurance ones compared to their race?

The endurance series are just lighter and have less aluminum in them, so they are rated for less lift and spring pressure.

Scroll down to about the middle off the page and they show a comparison between the two:
    http://www.scorpionracingproducts.com/rockers.html
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    g2G

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin'Montdude View Post
    The endurance series are just lighter and have less aluminum in them, so they are rated for less lift and spring pressure.

Scroll down to about the middle off the page and they show a comparison between the two:
    http://www.scorpionracingproducts.com/rockers.html
    Thought I found 1.6 endurance rockers for $294*

Correction: I found these http://www.jegs.com/i/Scorpion-Racin...085BL/10002/-1 for about $44 dollars cheaper than what i could find elsewhere, but they're a split 1.5/1.6. Not sure if that will even be beneficial if I use the 1.6 rockers on the exhaust side and the 1.5 on intake since my cam's duration already kinda compensates for the smaller exhaust valve.
    Last edited by ironcore10; 02-24-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: wrong parts

Glad I could help! I think you will be happy with them.

Yeah, I think I would run the part#3018 set that isn't split if I were you.
    Last edited by Flyin'Montdude; 02-24-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    g2G