Close

Default Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid? Hose Routing

Hey guys,

A while back I posted a thread looking for some general advice about the rough idle/stalling issues on my 1984 5.0L, general consensus was to replace the plugs and go from there. So did that but the problem persisted. I ended up looking under the car and found 2 hoses with just hanging from a little canister. Figured a quick look should show a part number and I could figure out how to fix it.

Problem is the part number is rubbed off the canister and I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to automotive repair so I was hoping somebody could help me out. I think this is a Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid but I'm not 100% certain, I also don't know where to attach the hoses, on the junction at the top of the little module there's an arrow that says "TO CARB" so obviously that hose goes to the carburetor but I have no idea where...

Name:  IMG_0613.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  44.0 KBName:  IMG_0610.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  42.5 KB

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Moister Oyster
    Last edited by Moister Oyster; 02-17-2018 at 11:20 PM.

1984 5.0's are very difficult. I cannot quickly locate it , but another guy here had some snapped off Vapor Canistor purge lines.

One guy here was able to reglue his damaged 1984 Vapor recover lines, but we got a part number and trace on a replacement.

You have to get the right ones for your transmission type, because the transmission governs what kid of carb or EFi system a 1984 5.0 has.

Is it:-

4bbl and 5 speed manual?

You most likley need this http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...acumm-troubles

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Don't know if this will be any help but figured I might as well post it again. This is the underhood diagram from my '85 with high altitude compensation equipment.

Attachment 112226

See

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Yup, you nailed it.

"https://picclick.com/NEW-OUT-OF-BOX-OEM-Ford-182493197208.html"

E3ZE 9B982 A2A

Be carefull they match OEM spec

"NEW-OUT-OF-BOX-OEM-Ford-E4AE-9C915-AA-Vapor-Canister-Purge-Valve" isn't gonna do.

I've got the 5spd 4bbl, pretty sure the carb's a Holley 4180C. The part number on the picture you posted looks like it could match what I've got worn out on the sticker confirming it is the purge valve. Someone on Reddit sent me this link:
    http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...uumDiagram.jpg

which should make locating the hoses a little easier. Fairly certain the Charcoal Canister is going to be somewhere on the passenger side mounted by the wheel well, and if I trace hoses coming from the throttle body I should be able to find the other broken hose.

Cheers mate!

Careful; There's a Canister Purge Valve (9B982) and a Carburetor Bowl Vent Valve (9C915).

9B982 is N/C (normally closed), and is used to allow stored vapor to flow from the canister to manifold vac.

9C915 is N/O (normally open), and is used to seal the carb bowl vents after the engine is started.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Quote Originally Posted by Moister Oyster View Post
    I've got the 5spd 4bbl, pretty sure the carb's a Holley 4180C. The part number on the picture you posted looks like it could match what I've got worn out on the sticker confirming it is the purge valve. Someone on Reddit sent me this link:
    http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...uumDiagram.jpg

which should make locating the hoses a little easier. Fairly certain the Charcoal Canister is going to be somewhere on the passenger side mounted by the wheel well, and if I trace hoses coming from the throttle body I should be able to find the other broken hose.

Cheers mate!
    Charcoal can should be under the battery on the frame rail.
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

Looking at the remnants of the part number on the module I pulled out, I don't think it could be 9C915, but in fact 9B982.
    Thanks for the warning though!

The Carbureted 5.0s never used an electrical solenoid for canister purge. Judging by the size of the hose nipples,
    the photo in Post #1 is most likely a bowl vent solenoid, or possibly altitude compensator as xctasy mentioned.
    Canister purge solenoids tend to have ~1/4" or smaller hose nipples, like this one (used on the '84 - '85 CFI 5.0) -

When it comes to emissions devices, keep in mind most people are confused about which systems do what, and
    will often mis-identify the parts they are selling.

On all the carbureted 5.0s, canister purge is done using purely mechanical purge valves, that are controlled by EGR
    vacuum (or distributor ported vacuum for cars without an EGR vacuum source).

Your car would have originally had two canisters, one on the passenger side front frame member, the other
    tucked up under the fender in the same general area. Each canister had it's own purge valve.

Lotta useful information in this thread -
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...vap-components
    Last edited by JACook; 02-21-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

^^^ This
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

9B982 would have been used as an air bleed for altitude compensation.
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)