Close

Default Auto Trans Shopping List

Alright guys so my AOD took a poo. The torque converter is shot and I randomly lose first gear. I have a 1986 thunderbird 5.0 AOD. I bought a used aod out of an 84 Lincoln Town car.

My question is what can I buy to make this a little better while it's out. I'm going to buy a new torque converter, anything else I can replace while it's out without actually ripping the trans apart? Any thoughts on performance flexplates?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FEP Member

I just had mine built with the plan for it to hold up to my future turbo motor. I know you suggested no disassembling the trans, but one of the best things you could do is add a good high performance valve body. I strongly recommend a constant line pressure valve body. I personally am using one of the Silver Fox Valve Bodies with constant pressure, electric overdrive shut off, and a trans brake, part number SPT-MAC-TB. See here: http://silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxt...om/VB_AOD.html

Look into/research a 4R70W upgrade for AOD case. Much more durable.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Town car aod is longer. Driveshaft isn't gonna fit without mods or swapping the tail shaft housing. Don't ask me how to do that, never tried.

The 87-93 gt and truck aods are beefier, so is basically every 88 up and. The strongest factory would be from an automatic 89 up super coupe. A bunch of the upgrades come from these transmissions from the factory.

The only really critical part of an aod is the tv valve cable or linkage. If that stays put, you really don't have to worry about anything. I have one at 350k miles, all original as far as I can tell, and I've personally put around 80k miles on it since I've owned it. Your probably not gonna blow anything up with a stock 150no motor.

If upgrades are planned down the road, start calling transmission shops and see what you need.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

www.clickclickracing.com

Best AOD/AODE/4R70W info on the web.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)