Close

Default Brake Pedal and Throttle assembly.

Has anyone had trouble with their work boots fitting between the brake pedal and the rise in the body for the trans?

I was debating finding a way to shift the assembly to the left an inch. That or is there a narrower brake pedal that we can easily swap to?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You don't state what year, model, and transmission you have.

The early cars have a flat skinny throttle pedal. The later ones a slightly wider and arched throttle pedal.

The automatic cars and the SVO have the wide brake pedal. The manual cars have a smaller brake pedal pad to give clearance for the clutch pedal.

Your post is a bit confusing as to me the transmission tunnel is next to the throttle pedal and not the brake pedal. I do on occasion depending on shoes do have an issue with my foot hitting the throttle pedal a bit when stepping on the brakes due to lack of clearance. I think that is what you mean.

Other than possibly swapping between throttle pedals, which probably wont gain much, the only other options I can think of is possibly swapping in a different pedal arm that is shaped differently or actually using a torch and carefully bending yours over a bit for more clearance.

The SN95 pedal arms can be swapped into a Fox and they are definitely shaped different and allow for some different spacing of the foot pedals. If swapping a brake pedal you will have to make sure the actual M/C pushrod pin is at the same height as original. That is nothing more than a little grinding, drilling a new hole and welding the pin again. I have been working on all of that with my 1982 GT and 5.4DOHC Hydorboost swap. Hope that helps some.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You don't state what year, model, and transmission you have.

The early cars have a flat skinny throttle pedal. The later ones a slightly wider and arched throttle pedal.

The automatic cars and the SVO have the wide brake pedal. The manual cars have a smaller brake pedal pad to give clearance for the clutch pedal.

Your post is a bit confusing as to me the transmission tunnel is next to the throttle pedal and not the brake pedal. I do on occasion depending on shoes do have an issue with my foot hitting the throttle pedal a bit when stepping on the brakes due to lack of clearance. I think that is what you mean.

Other than possibly swapping between throttle pedals, which probably wont gain much, the only other options I can think of is possibly swapping in a different pedal arm that is shaped differently or actually using a torch and carefully bending yours over a bit for more clearance.

The SN95 pedal arms can be swapped into a Fox and they are definitely shaped different and allow for some different spacing of the foot pedals. If swapping a brake pedal you will have to make sure the actual M/C pushrod pin is at the same height as original. That is nothing more than a little grinding, drilling a new hole and welding the pin again. I have been working on all of that with my 1982 GT and 5.4DOHC Hydorboost swap. Hope that helps some.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0 AOD. My boot tends to get a little wedged between the brake pedal and the rise in the center of the body where the aod is. They really have the assembly cramped to the right. I think I will swap my brake pedal to one from a manual fox. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackthemind View Post
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0 AOD. My boot tends to get a little wedged between the brake pedal and the rise in the center of the body where the aod is. They really have the assembly cramped to the right. I think I will swap my brake pedal to one from a manual fox. Thanks for the info!

See, I have little to no experience with the Thunderbirds, so . . . .

Being a Fox you can most likely look as the Mustang stuff and see if that helps to gain you needed clearances. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I have the same problem. I wear a size 12 wide boot. It's a tight fit eve with the manual trans setup. Nearly impossible in my svo. The whole setup is made for a size 9 sneaker I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I have the same problem. I wear a size 12 wide boot. It's a tight fit eve with the manual trans setup. Nearly impossible in my svo. The whole setup is made for a size 9 sneaker I think.
    I feel ya. When I wear my sneakers I'm fine. But these boots are a bitch haha.