Close

Default Ignition key does not return back to the run position after start

When I start the car the key does not return from the start position without me having to turn it back by hand. I think this is causing the starter to hang up because the idle is real high until I do that. Is it possible to just clean the key mechanism or should I just pick up a replacement key and tumbler assembly?

You can try cleaning the key cylinder, but most likely your issue is in the actual ignition switch and/or the rod linkage that operates it. The key cylinder/tumbler moves a rod/linkage down to the steering column that connects to the electrical ignition switch. That is what actually turns the car on and starts the car.

I would bet either you have an ignition switch that is starting to come apart and/or you may have some wiring in the column that is obstructing the movement of the linkage. I personally would check that out first. You will need to remove the lower panel on the dash and the steering column covers to gain access, but nothing too bad. The switch is the large rectangular unit on the under side near the end of the steering column housing. If the switch is original then there will be either anti-tamper screws or the snap off style screws holding it in. Often a die grinder is needed to cut a straight slot in the screws so you can remove them with a flat blade screw driver. Some of the break off screws can be grabbed with a pair of needle nose vice grips for removal. I would definitely suggest a new switch if original as these are a common problem on the Fox as they age. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks. I have seen pictures and read about the tamper resistant screws on the forum here last night and how guys slot the screws. I wasn’t sure exactly how things operate it once you turn the key. I’m guessing mine is original. I will take a look this weekend and then I guess if I can’t clean up the movement I will order the switch the lock and tumbler assembly and the actuator rod if needed I guess.

I don't think the rod is available. Shouldn't be anything wrong with it anyway.

Shoot some graphite into the lock for starters. Might not help but can't hurt.

I hit it with some lithium grease spray and it works real good now. Thanks. The problem now is that when the last owner was sending me the second set of keys he forgot to give me to my house via USPS his wife just stuck them in an envelope. Well the envelope got to me with a note on it from my mail carrier that it was 'received like this', and it pointed to the missing corner of the envelope where the keys apparently fell out. So now someone potentially has my address and keys to one of my cars. LOL. So I ordered a Ford/Motorcraft key and cylinder yesterday. Crazy.....