Close

Default Sound System on your verts?

Want to upgraded my system on my 86 drop top. Nothing real crazy but a nice quality build. So please share your pics or recommendations.

Thanks,
    Hec
    93 Blk/Blk Mustang Cobra #1133 SBF with Twins 76's
    86 Black Gt Droptop

I'll follow your thread... there is nothing in my '86 drop top, lol
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I'll follow your thread... there is nothing in my '86 drop top, lol
    LOL, So it seems it's going to have to be me.
    86 Black Gt Droptop

I've got the original 6.5" speakers in the rear quarter panels which still work fine, but I upgraded to Rockford Fosgate tweeters in the dash and Rockford 6.5" mid range in the door panels. It sounds great for what I want. It's powered by a period correct Panasonic Supreme Series cassette radio. What I didn't want was an overwhelming bass sound sound in my car.
    Name:  P1040791.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  79.0 KB
    Name:  P1040663.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  101.7 KB
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    I've got the original 6.5" speakers in the rear quarter panels which still work fine, but I upgraded to Rockford Fosgate tweeters in the dash and Rockford 6.5" mid range in the door panels. It sounds great for what I want. It's powered by a period correct Panasonic Supreme Series cassette radio. What I didn't want was an overwhelming bass sound sound in my car.
    Thanks for the info. It looks great. As of know it looks like I'll be doing the same however, with a JL audio system
    86 Black Gt Droptop

Blog Entries

Does it sound ok with thst much separation between the mids and the tweeters? Debating similar locations.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I recently did an install with a Retro Sound head, JL amp and some other pieces. The installation hardware supplied was pretty week so I made my own. I also 3D printed a face plate and a console insert for auxiliary inputs and a bass control knob. This is an 86 GT vert.

Name:  retro sound 1.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  retro sound 2.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  72.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    Does it sound ok with thst much separation between the mids and the tweeters? Debating similar locations.
    Yes, it sounds great!
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I've always been an Alpine and Kenwood guy myself.

No cutting needed:
    Attachment 122200

Well its been a while that I have posted up. But the my vert is going The Custom Shop next week for the system. I will post pics soon.
    86 Black Gt Droptop

I built a carpeted box to replace the seat bottom.
    Last edited by dso41; 01-09-2019 at 12:29 AM.

Hey Smitty do you have a pic of your doors with the panels off?

You say you put 6.5 speakers in the front doors. I had 5.25's in mine and last year I switched to 6.5's but i never got the placement right. mine are all the way in the lower corners of the door so the door panels dont fit over the speakers correct. I cut away door material as much as I could to still have power window function without hindrance but maybe I'm missing something.

That's my mistake. They're 5.25's in the door and no, I didn't take pictures with panels off.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

That's my mistake. They're 5.25's in the door and no, I didn't take pictures with panels off.
    I had 5.25's there and I thought they didnt have enough punch. i thought an extra inch a quarter wouldn't take up too much space. It does. My door panels lay on top of the edge of the speakers. I'm gonna try one more time to get them to fit better.

Also the stock speaker covers for 87 door panels I put on my 84, they look OK but I think they muffle too much the sound also. The stock reak quarters, they cover the speakers with carpet. its a crappy setup that muffles the sound of my stereo. I'm debating cutting the rear quarters open and finding a cover.

We have some black carpet covered custom door pods in my garage that we took out of my son’s convertible. He wanted the foot room

They hold a 6-6.5” speaker. If you watch depths they can go over the existing door panel. Power lock switches have to be moved or removed

He has details about what came out and what went in posted in his most recent interior thread

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    We have some black carpet covered custom door pods in my garage that we took out of my son’s convertible. He wanted the foot room

They hold a 6-6.5” speaker. If you watch depths they can go over the existing door panel. Power lock switches have to be moved or removed

He has details about what came out and what went in posted in his most recent interior thread
    Can you post pics of them?

Here are the pods erratic50 was talking about:

Name:  Capture12.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  204.4 KB

I know I am late to the party.... lol

Pods were in the car when I bought it in 2016.

I had 6.5" CS series Kickers in the pods for a couple years. Ended up just moving them to the rear quarters and putting new TMI door panels on this past spring.
    Triple black '86 GT Convertible 5.0/5spd (T5Z, hurst short throw, VM-1, 93 leather, all black tmi door panels, 93 cobra wing, strut tower brace, sub-frame connectors, 13.5 degrees base timing).