Close

Default 1986 correct battery orientation in the tray and ground cable question

I have seen pictures both ways but on an 86 does the positive lug go towards the front of the car? On the car I just bought which looks to have OEM cables it is facing front. My new repro positive cable from one of the fox resto sites is too short for that. Also as has been discussed the computer quick connect wire is different between 86 and 87. I ordered a ground cable as well that is listed on their site as 86-93 but the box that it came is says 87-93. The 1986 connector is flat and the new one on the cable I bought is round. What is the best way to adapt these two together? Just cut the quick connector off and put the wire on the ring connector if possible? It's not a show car or restoration just trying to clean up old wiring. Thanks.

the post should be away from fender so in accident they do not short out
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

So that puts it the way it was when I bought it and the positive cable I was sent is too shor. Only around 14”. Can anyone tell me what the round female plug is for on the negative cable?

Positive should be closet to solenoid if memory is correct. Check you group size of the battery. Wrong battery??

Positive should be closet to solenoid if memory is correct. Check you group size of the battery. Wrong battery??

Its a group 56 as per the book. I believe if I do that then the terminals are closer to the fender and not the motor. I never heard the other theory as mentioned above about keeping the terminals away from the fender. Sounds logical though.

I have an 86 vert with 20k miles on it. It has a group 56 in it with the original cables and mounting hardware. The positive post is forward and on the inside towards the engine (away from the fender). Not sure if this is correct but it looks like it from the routing of the cables. I just bought an Interstate MT-56 to replace the original battery and it is exactly the same (post placement) as the original.

Matthew

QUOTE=86FOX4EYE;1873447]I have an 86 vert with 20k miles on it. It has a group 56 in it with the original cables and mounting hardware. The positive post is forward and on the inside towards the engine (away from the fender).
    [/QUOTE]

That is correct. Sorry about the aftermarket battery... old pic

[ATTACH]118988[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Thank you guys.

From a practical perspective if you need an oversized battery for one reason or another (say better cranking capacity or a big stereo that draws more amp hours than a small battery can tolerate) then you will want the positive towards the rear because there is very little distance between a correctly adjusted hood and the battery. The old rubber protector eventually goes bad and you get a spark show. Ask me how I know......

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    From a practical perspective if you need an oversized battery for one reason or another (say better cranking capacity or a big stereo that draws more amp hours than a small battery can tolerate) then you will want the positive towards the rear because there is very little distance between a correctly adjusted hood and the battery. The old rubber protector eventually goes bad and you get a spark show. Ask me how I know......
    That doesnt sound good. Just using the OEM size battery. Does anyone know what the round connector plug is for on the ground cable? I have looked at schematics but it doesnt show up. There is also a ring terminal which terminates on the inner fender but there is another lead.

Pictures always help.

I decided to orient the battery with the positive facing rearward. It seems that 86 is a strange year with a lot of one off type of things including the negative and positive battery cables and no one is tooling up the make the reproduction stuff. It's not a 100 point show car in the making but I am trying to make things a little cleaner. I ended up splicing that connector with quick disconnect terminals I was asking about and heat shrinking it. I think that the battery tray needs replaced now too. LOL.

Battery retailers wont always stock or choose the correct battery, nor will past car owners.
    Many sources. Chains, gas stations, repair shops. Sometimes people simply use what they have.
    At least its not in a bad spot, like in a fender.

My Cobras Exide 96RC battery is on the pass side. Positive is near solenoid, has short wire.
    Reverse terminal battery.
    Reverse terminal batteries have the positive post on the right side of battery, like your current one.
    Description would be Group 56R. Positive post on left would be Group 56, no R.
    My Rangers BXT-65-750 battery is on the drivers side, positive post on the left.
    Again, has short wire to solenoid. Is factory configuration on both vehicles.
    Safer, if in a front end collision, with positive end toward the firewall, connections on engine side away from fender.
    Less chance of any unintentional arc welding action.

Changed to a wider, lower profile 96 series battery. Mustang engine bays slant down up front. Ranger, no problem.
    Never liked battery close to hood if, somehow, it came loose on a bumpy piece of road or from a pothole.
    More hood to battery terminal clearance allows clearance for battery charger clamps with hood lowered or even closed.
    Replaced oem battery tray with the largest one that would fit to use larger batteries, like the Group 96.
    Has stainless hardware on the hold down for easy removal when the time comes.

Extra generic connections on aftermarket cables enable use of same cable for multi-applications.
    Modify as needed.
    Marine wire heat shrink tubing works best to seal out moisture, wont burn, is stronger than regular PVC.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-17-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks gr79. I went right to the Deka battery plant store near my house and what they actually gave me is a S655 battery after checking their books. Who knows but at this point after talking to LMR and finding out that no one actually makes repro battery cables for an 86, especially the negative cable with the plug attached, I just decided to run what I have for now and modify the cables as clean as possible.