Close

Thread: 302 or 351w?

Threaded View

Default 302 or 351w?

Hello, new member here and also new to the world of fox body mustangs. Recently bought a 84.5 Gt t-top mustang to restore with my 16 year old son( he's a huge mustang fan). Car is a little rough and needs some tlc but for the most part the body and the motor were solid. Previous owner took the 302 out as it was leaking coolant from a bad head gasket. Anyways my son and i and my brother have stripped the motor down to block and were going to rebuild it and possibly stroke it to a 331 until i started looking into doing a 351w swap. At first it seemed like a no brainer and we even scored one out of a 89 f-150 for free but now looking a little more at it it might be more of a pain in the ass and more costly. This is my first restoration of a car so I don't have that much knowledge when it come to all this stuff. Interior work I can handle, motors not so much. We are not really wanting a 500hp powerhouse since it's going to be a street car (for now)but we would like it to have at least 350hp and be a fun little car to drive. It will be driven by my my son 90% of the time.

So I guess my question is to you all. Which way would you guys go with this car? Also what is going to be more cost effective the 302 or 351w?

Thanks and looking forward to learning all about 4 eyed foxes from you all. I'm going to need all the help I can get lol

Attachment 118966
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 02-13-2018 at 09:40 PM.