Close

Default Pretty Good Fairmont Article!

Just found this on a random photo search the other day. It's pretty good! The guy really seems to know what he's talking about!

https://oldcarmemories.com/1978-ford...obile-history/

Interesting tidbit is where he says the 5.0L/4-speed combo was added to the option list for 1979. I also liked the blurb about the ES. The guy who ordered mine did NOT do a good job checking the right option boxes. I-6 automatic, COME ON.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I imagine dealerships did most of the ordering guessing what the general public wanted and would in turn result in a fast sale. Ordering a Fairmont with a V8 and four speed competed with the Mustang and had the potential of sitting on the dealers lot longer than a 6 cyl. with an automatic and a/c.
    The company I worked for in the early 80’s bought Fairmonts for its sales staff. Even the president had a two door box sedan. All had 200 sixes with automatics and a/c.

It certainly seemed to be the engine Ford figured most people would choose. I hated driving mine with the 6. My foot was on the floor ALL THE TIME. When I had my first car, a '79 Mustang with the same engine, I would always say how it's the worst of both worlds. Bad mileage AND no power. Might as well go to the 4-cyl at that point. Although I would go on to have one of those later, and the experience really wasn't any better.

I can't really complain too much though. Even if mine had come with a V8, I would've yanked it in favor of a SEFI roller. It's just a bummer for the people that had to suffer with these things when they were new.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

My '80 'mont with the 3.3/C4 was unbearably slow accelerating, but once up to speed, it cruised pretty much effortlessly. Oh, and the mileage sucked too. 1 bbl carb, lol.