Close

Hybrid View

Default Anyone ever see this hood before?

Just bought the car with this hood on it. I know it's ugly as sin and honestly plan to go back to stock with it but I have yet to see another car with this hood. Anyone else?Name:  20170610_154102.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  125.0 KB
    Last edited by Sega2010; 02-12-2018 at 10:31 PM.

I've never seen a hood like that.

Does the car have a supercharger, or some other physical need for the raised center section?

Imho, with the inlet ports painted white, it might look decent.
    Then, the hood might be something to consider keeping, since it's either very rare or one of a kind.
    For a 4-eye, I'm not overly keen on ground-effects. But, it does make it look like the Aero Fox GTs.

Fwiw
    , I know that *I* would not want to drive a car with a raised center section in the hood like that in heavy traffic.
    I like my car as my summer, good weather daily-driver. And, that can mean bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Are you in a non-snow State??
    Imho, other than the hood, that's a nice looking car!

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    I've never seen a hood like that.

Does the car have a supercharger, or some other physical need for the raised center section?

Imho, with the inlet ports painted white, it might look decent.
    Then, the hood might be something to consider keeping, since it's either very rare or one of a kind.
    For a 4-eye, I'm not overly keen on ground-effects. But, it does make it look like the Aero Fox GTs.

Fwiw
    , I know that *I* would not want to drive a car with a raised center section in the hood like that in heavy traffic.
    I like my car as my summer, good weather daily-driver. And, that can mean bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Are you in a non-snow State??
    Imho, other than the hood, that's a nice looking car!
    Engine is all stock except for exhaust. And the weird thing with the hood is the front slots and the back slots are just painted black, but the side holes are cut open.

Thanks man. I'm really loving the thing. I'm thinking the skirts may come off too. I really think i want to take the body back to stock. Just put wheels on it though and it's got me thinking otherwise. LolName:  20180212_180504.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  94.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    Fwiw, I know that *I* would not want to drive a car with a raised center section in the hood like that in heavy traffic.
    Maybe it's just that I'm used to it but I don't feel my hood interferes with my vision at all in traffic.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

It almost looks as if someone did some creative swiss cheese cutting on a common cowl hood.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    It almost looks as if someone did some creative swiss cheese cutting on a common cowl hood.
    I would agree with you but the only actually holes are the ones in the side. Front and back is just painted black designs.

I'm getting a very 'Star Wars' vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    I never thought of that but you're right, it does though. Hahah

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Yeah, totally. I think someone just glued a star destoyer to the hood.

... or was it intended for a Corvette Summer sequel... ??

I would smash that hood to bits. Send it to hell before it ruins the look of someone else's car.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Goes to show how tastes vary. Obviously somebody thought that looked good. I'm betting it was a young fellow.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Goes to show how tastes vary. Obviously somebody thought that looked good. I'm betting it was a young fellow.
    Actually I know for a fact he wasn't young. I bought it from my girlfriends dad and he bought it from his cousin who was original owner. Said cousin is the one who did the work before he bought it about 8 years ago.

The hood is a bit over the top for me, but at least it is well done. Not my personal taste, but I have seen MUCH Worse! Honestly I think the fact that there's few other black accents on the car such as the body side moldings, headlight buckets etc. cause your eyes to really be drawn to the black on the hood scoop. Not saying that your eyes wouldn't be drawn anyway, but I just think it's more so due to the stark white of the body.

Looks like a really nice car and well done. I personally like the side skirts, although you can't go wrong with a stock 85/86 GT IMHO either. Congrats and Good Luck with it!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The hood is a bit over the top for me, but at least it is well done. Not my personal taste, but I have seen MUCH Worse! Honestly I think the fact that there's few other black accents on the car such as the body side moldings, headlight buckets etc. cause your eyes to really be drawn to the black on the hood scoop. Not saying that your eyes wouldn't be drawn anyway, but I just think it's more so due to the stark white of the body.

Looks like a really nice car and well done. I personally like the side skirts, although you can't go wrong with a stock 85/86 GT IMHO either. Congrats and Good Luck with it!
    That's exactly what I keep saying. Anyone that looks at the car, the first thing they see is that hood cause it stands out so much more than the rest. But thanks man. I'm really at war with myself to decide what to do with it.

I think you should leave it as it is and name it " Stormtrooper "

Quote Originally Posted by 4idfox View Post
    I think you should leave it as it is and name it " Stormtrooper "
    That would be really fitting for it. Lol

Along the lines of the Daytona Turbo hood found on '80's Camaros and Vettes.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

FEP Senior Member

There was a a variety of ugly fiberglass hoods for FOX Mustangs available in the late 80s and 90s. That one is probably a Cervinis (sp?), which had several differnt versions.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Would there possibly be any markings on it somewhere to see who made it? I've looked already but could have missed it.

I remember seeing hoods similar to that on late 80's IROC Z28's as aftermarket hoods. They were listed as Daytona style. I don't remember the company's name making the though.
    Not sure how I feel about the look. I like the wheels and skirts. The hood would grow on me I think.

Y'all are pretty close with this Daytona turbo hood. I see cervini does have a hood currently they call the twin turbo that has the front "ducts" and the back slots but no holes on the side and the front ones are farther apart. I'm gonna say it's probably an old cervini hood. Problem is this it though I was looking at it closer tonight and it's actually not in the best shape. Very front center just on the underside it's cracking and there's cracks running up the front ducts on the outside portion of each of them.

It kinda looks like the hood on a Callaway Corvette that I saw many years ago. Stormtrooper is a great name for the car, it looks really good other than the hood. The side skirts look good.

I would bet the hood is an old Cincinnati Composites or one of the many other names they operated under years ago. Quality was pretty poor, but they had several wild and crazy designs and mixed many styles between the Firebird/Camaro, Mustangs and others back in the day.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller