Close

Default Holley4180 to Edelbrock hook up

I have done several searches online and in the Ford manual but cant find the info I need.
    I took the factory Holley off and put an Edelbrock carb on my 85. Now I'm trying to figure out the vacuum line hook up. The one vacuum line comes from the non electric ported vacuum switch at the middle fitting to a fitting on the passenger top side of the Holley. The second line comes from the bottom of the electric ported vacuum switch to the front of the Holley.
    Can somebody tell me which vacuum line should at least go to the vacuum fitting on the Edelbrock? The Edelbrock manual shows one port is for emissions engines and the other side is for non emissions engines. Should i simply hook both vacuum switch ports together in a tee and run both from the single port for emissions style engines?
    BTW, the dizzy vacuum line goes to the center port of the non electric ported vacuum switch.

Anybody ??

You'll have to compare things. I don't know anything about all your switches, but "emissions" in this case is secret code for ported vacuum, vacuum that isn't fully present until the throttle is open some to uncover a port in the carburetor throat just above the closed throttle plates. Look at the underside of Edelbrock and eyeball which vacuum nipple is in line with which passage in the bottom of the throttle base or a bit up throttle bore above the throttle plate. Don't quote me, I think the passenger side small vacuum nipple on an Edelbrock is ported vacuum, and the others full manifold vacuum.

The bean shaped passage of this Edelbrock in the top right (primary) throttle bore seen here, connects with the small driver's side vacuum nipple in the front of the carburetor... that's below the throttle plate, that's full intake manifold vacuum...

Whatever hosing was connected to ported vacuum with the 4180, in your quest, requires to be connected such again. How well T-ing a single ported vacuum source for switches and emissions functions will work... I dunno... I presume it shouldn't matter...

The 4180 vacuum nipple here by the blue tag... folks can argue vertical throttle bore locations of the port, whatever... it's a ported vacuum source, since it's signal pickup is above the throttle blades, and gets connected to EGR...

I don't have the (4180) carburetor in front of me anymore, so I can't be sure, but I think the small vacuum nipple out of the front of the base plate is full manifold vacuum.... this image and the small passage hole in the throttle base bore in line with the small front vacuum nipple suggests that it is full manifold vacuum...

Again, don't quote me. You'll have to look at and compare your carburetors. Good luck with it.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Thanks that is the info I needed. Especially the port on the passenger side of the Holley.