Thread: 79 Cobra

Default 79 Cobra

Name:  IMG_1937.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  75.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1987 (2).jpg
Views: 68
Size:  55.5 KB
    This was as good of a picture as i could get of the buck tag, I'm not really sure if there is a better way to get to it short of taking off the bumper cover.
    Name:  IMG_1996.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  110.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1997.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  51.2 KB
    I couldn't find an axle or trans tag and the interior is gone so I'm assuming the build sheet would have gone with it.
    Last edited by Xemia22; 02-09-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: edited buck tag photo for clarity
    85 lx coupe 5.0 c4
    mostly a collection of leftover 80's speed parts and ingenuity

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I can't tell from the buck tag on the radiator support but if it were a true Cobra, you would see a CBR or a COBRA on it. Besides those designations, there are other features that were Cobra specific only and those include round Cobra emblems on each inner door panel and another one on the right hand side of the passenger dash bezel. Those dash bezels should also be "Engine Turned" and not woodgrained. On the outside of the car, it should have COBRA decals on the doors, Blacked out trim around the windows except for the drip rail that runs along the roof and down the A pillar. That would be the only aluminum colored piece of trim on the outside. The sail panels were painted body color and not Black but the entire bottom half of the car should be Satin Black. Chrome door handles and stainless key locks/antenna were standard. It would have a hood scoop like the one in your picture but it would not have a rear spoiler or lower front spoiler with fog lights. The Cobra hood decal was an option and some have it while others do not.

If that buck tag does not have that CBR or COBRA stamped into it, it's not a true Cobra.
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 02-09-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    I can't tell from the buck tag on the radiator support but if it were a true Cobra, you would see a CBR or a COBRA on it. Besides those designations, there are other features that were Cobra specific only and those include round Cobra emblems on each inner door panel and another one on the right hand side of the passenger dash bezel. Those dash bezels should also be "Engine Turned" and not woodgrained. On the outside of the car, it should have COBRA decals on the doors, Blacked out trim around the windows except for the drip rail that runs along the roof and down the A pillar. That would be the only aluminum colored piece of trim on the outside. The sail panels were painted body color and not Black but the entire bottom half of the car should be Satin Black. Chrome door handles and stainless key locks/antenna were standard. It would have a hood scoop like the one in your picture but it would not have a rear spoiler or lower front spoiler with fog lights. The Cobra hood decal was an option and some have it while others do not.

If that buck tag does not have that CBR or COBRA stamped into it, it's not a true Cobra.
    I didn't mention it in the post but that is the back side of the buck tag looking up from the bottom. It appears to me as if the tag reads MOON COBR and the rest is obscured. In regards to the rest of the items, there is a cobra badge on the passenger side door panel.
    Name:  IMG_1995.jpg
Size:  78.9 KB

The dash is completely cracked and hacked so I wouldn't be surprised if it was not original.
    Name:  IMG_2043.jpg
Size:  91.9 KB

On the outside the upper part of the car was resprayed in a lighter red colored primer so i can't see any COBRA decals. The window trim is not blacked out but looks like there are flakes of black paint in the corners so it may have peeled off/been removed.
    Name:  IMG_2044_2.jpg
Size:  79.7 KB

the sail panels appear to have been painted body color (2p bright red) and the entirety of the bottom of the car is painted black.
    there is also no fog lights or rear spoiler

I feel there is enough circumstantial evidence on top of what appears to be COBRA on the buck tag to safely call it a true cobra.
    Last edited by Xemia22; 02-09-2018 at 10:13 PM.
    85 lx coupe 5.0 c4
    mostly a collection of leftover 80's speed parts and ingenuity

VIN
    9 = 1979 model year
    R = San Jose Assembly
    03 = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    F = 5.0L V8 engine
    179249 = 79,249th 1979 Ford scheduled for production at San Jose Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 07/79 = July 1979 scheduled build date
    GVWR - 3871 lb/1755 kg = gross vehicle weight rating
    Front GAWR - 2074 lb/940 kg = front gross axle weight rating
    Rear GAWR - 1817 lb/824 kg = rear gross axle weight rating
    F0107 = 107 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0012 = 12 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 2P = Bright Red
    DSO - 73 = Salt Lake City district sales office
    Body - 61R = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    Mldg - 90V = Black bodyside molding with Light Orange inset stripes
    Int Trim - MA = cloth & vinyl seating with interior accent group and high-back front buckets (M), Black interior trim color (A)
    A/C - [blank] = no factory air conditioner
    R - 7 = AM/FM stereo cassette
    S - C = flip-up open air roof (sunroof)
    Ax - Y = 3.08:1 axle ratio, non-locking differential
    Tr - W = Ford C4 automatic transmission
    LL = front springs
    MM = rear springs

Buck Tag
    9R03F179249 = VIN
    2P_ = Bright Red exterior paint color
    A = Black interior trim color
    FW = 5.0L engine (F), C-4 automatic transmission (W)
    H = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    K
    (Z?)
    (Q?)
    (S?)
    (T?)
    B
    P
    D
    I
    C
    MOON = moonroof (sunroof)
    COBRA = Cobra
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 02-09-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xemia22 View Post
    I didn't mention it in the post but that is the back side of the buck tag looking up from the bottom. It appears to me as if the tag reads MOON COBR and the rest is obscured. In regards to the rest of the items, there is a cobra badge on the passenger side door panel.

the sail panels appear to have been painted body color (2p bright red) and the entirety of the bottom of the car is painted black.
    there is also no fog lights or rear spoiler

I feel there is enough circumstantial evidence on top of what appears to be COBRA on the buck tag to safely call it a true cobra.
    It sounds like you've got enough evidence to prove that it's a true Cobra! Check that buck tag to find out for sure. Mine was also a Red/Black with Black interior Cobra when it was new.

Name:  1979 Mustang Cobra 2-25-00 I.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  151.1 KB
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38