Close

Default Fender flares help

Looking to install fender flares on my 86 Thunderbird to give it a unique look. What is the suggested process? Do I mount them flush with the stock wheel well line, or do you mount them slightly higher and and cut out the excess sliver? I found a set at a decent price that I think will fit, I just need to re-measure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

It's going to depend on what you're after when installing them. Do you want to run wider wheels and tires, or just have a flare look? If you want the wider wheels, you'll probably want to cut out the metal behind the flares to give yourself the room for the tires.

I am about to finish up my widebody, which involved cutting the rear metal out. I have the process detailed if you want to see how I did it and decide if that's how you want to do it on yours (if needed).
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post
    It's going to depend on what you're after when installing them. Do you want to run wider wheels and tires, or just have a flare look? If you want the wider wheels, you'll probably want to cut out the metal behind the flares to give yourself the room for the tires.

I am about to finish up my widebody, which involved cutting the rear metal out. I have the process detailed if you want to see how I did it and decide if that's how you want to do it on yours (if needed).
    Thanks for the info man. I'd definitely like to see how you did yours as to incorporate that with the Thunderbird body.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Subscribing for pictures.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

FEP Senior Member

This is one of the photos I have on my Instagram and YouTube. I have the whole build of my car there. I have a build thread in the "Show" area of the FEP site also.

Attachment 118962