Close

Default 180 mph SSP Mustang

......That's what the retired CHP officer says.
    Jay Leno has an '82 Highway Patrol Mustang on the show.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyDP3eE-s2M&t=337s
    About four minutes in, the retired CHP officer says that when the fuel injected models came out, he drove one to 180 mph !?!

I highly doubt that....
    130 mph sounds more like it, maybe 140 on a good day. Especially with the spotlights and the notchback hurting the aerodynamics.
    My '85 GT 5.0 5 speed hatchback did 138 mph on a cool night, bone stock.
    Mildly modded, it ran mid 13s and topped out at 144 mph.

So the added HP that dropped my ET from a bone stock 14.8 down to a 13.5 ONLY got me 6 mph more on the topend.

Pushing air out of the way takes a bunch of HP....

180 mph takes a LOT of HP.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TURBO4JOE2; 01-07-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Agree. 130 or a little more sounds a lot more reasonable.
    I can't help but wonder how a stock height, stock tired, stock suspensioned mustang would feel like at that speed. I would imagine a bit squirrelly! Not much downforce out back.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I saw it on jay Leno’s garage, great looking car!

I worked for a Ford dealership from 1988-2008 as a senior master tech. We had one South Carolina Highway Patrol ssp Mustang in our area, it was a 1990. The Officer was like 6’6-6’7 tall, 260+pounds, they had extended the seat track rails and the front seat was just about touching the back seat. Every time he would bring it in for oil changes, I could barely reach the pedals to drive it in the bay.

He would tell us all these stories about chasing people and running 160 mph in it. I finally told him one day, that it was basically a stock 5.0 mustang with an oil cooler on it. He just keep telling me, it can’t be it’s the fastest thing around.

He was a pretty cool guy and loved to shoot the breeze with us.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.