Close

Thread: Rear Calipers

Default Rear Calipers

Been trying to do some research on this topic and having trouble coming up with any good or relevant information besides install threads.

What are the differences between the turbocoupe/cobra rear calipers and the SN rears?

I’ve read the SN rears were used across multiple models with many different front brake styles.

Would it be possible to use SN rears and keep the 4 lug brake system?

I already have the whole rear brake setup (planned on 5 lug but too out of reach financially for awhile) so figured since I have it may as well try to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Just found some information saying that the lack of a rotor option and the wrong offset is why. Guess I wasn’t using the correct key words in my search

1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

If you use SN95 to fox brackets the brakes will bolt on. If you don't swap axles to 5 lug you would have to drill the rotors as 4 lug to make a one-off rotor that fits

SN95 and 87-88 tbird and 1993 Cobra all use a 3/4" wider on each side rearend. The front rotors on the 93 cobra had the 3/4" space built into the front rotors and different offset wheels to make everything fit

modern disc builds usually use all SN95. Mainly because it is cheaper. Bird/Cobra style retains 4 lug but has less repeat stopping power.

there are ultimate 5 lug conversion threads and ultimate 4 lug 4 wheel disc threads here. Happy reading !

On my 85 I have $1500+ wrapped up in 4 wheel disc with good factory production parts while retaining 4 lug.

On my 86 I have less than $1000 in my SN95 setup. I do not expect the 4 lug setup to even come close to the SN95 setup in terms of stopping power.

the brakes on the 86 saved my life by a very narrow margin last summer. Stock or 4 lug disc wouldn't have cut it.

Unless you have a specific reason to stay 4 lug (like I do on my Saleen) goto 5 lug. It's both cheaper and all around better.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-07-2018 at 01:17 AM.

The tc rotors are thicker, vented (vs the solid non vented sn-95 rears) and the same diameter. They would hold up better to repeated braking.The tc calipers are also used on the taurus, windstar and a handful of other ford products.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    If you use SN95 to fox brackets the brakes will bolt on. If you don't swap axles to 5 lug you would have to drill the rotors as 4 lug to make a one-off rotor that fits

SN95 and 87-88 tbird and 1993 Cobra all use a 3/4" wider on each side rearend. The front rotors on the 93 cobra had the 3/4" space built into the front rotors and different offset wheels to make everything fit

modern disc builds usually use all SN95. Mainly because it is cheaper. Bird/Cobra style retains 4 lug but has less repeat stopping power.

there are ultimate 5 lug conversion threads and ultimate 4 lug 4 wheel disc threads here. Happy reading !

On my 85 I have $1500+ wrapped up in 4 wheel disc with good factory production parts while retaining 4 lug.

On my 86 I have less than $1000 in my SN95 setup. I do not expect the 4 lug setup to even come close to the SN95 setup in terms of stopping power.

the brakes on the 86 saved my life by a very narrow margin last summer. Stock or 4 lug disc wouldn't have cut it.

Unless you have a specific reason to stay 4 lug (like I do on my Saleen) goto 5 lug. It's both cheaper and all around better.
    I do very much appreciate your input on this thread, your wealth of knowledge is invaluable!!! But the reason I’m looking to stay 4 lug is because the car needs new tires and the only wheel I have laying around are some 10 holes.

I’m going to update to later v8 spindles with porter field pads and stainless hoses/sliders.
    Then just throw some porter field shoes and rebuilds at the rear drums.

I hear ya - my best suggestion - get the maximum motorsports pad and like kit for 87-93 foxbody mustangs. 60-0 in 114 feet on all stock style brake parts. Vs 155 out of the 93 Cobra and 160+ out of the SVO and even worse yet out of the 87-93...... worse still out of the 79-86.

its only about $250 if memory serves me correctly. Cheap insurance

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    The tc rotors are thicker, vented (vs the solid non vented sn-95 rears) and the same diameter. They would hold up better to repeated braking.The tc calipers are also used on the taurus, windstar and a handful of other ford products.
    I believe the TC rear rotors are 10" while the SN95 rear rotors are 10.5"
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Never been on the road but I have 93 cobra rotors, offset caliper adapter brackets,TC calipers(which are 1996 Tares rear calipers iirc) and SN95 parking brake cables.

Cut the splash shields and bolted on from the inside of the brackets, looks like it all could have been factory.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I believe the TC rear rotors are 10" while the SN95 rear rotors are 10.5"
    You are correct. I was thinking the mark 7 vented rotors.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I hear ya - my best suggestion - get the maximum motorsports pad and like kit for 87-93 foxbody mustangs. 60-0 in 114 feet on all stock style brake parts. Vs 155 out of the 93 Cobra and 160+ out of the SVO and even worse yet out of the 87-93...... worse still out of the 79-86.

its only about $250 if memory serves me correctly. Cheap insurance
    That’s basically what the plan is right now, just this is all going on an LTD LX, so I have the 10” drums instead