Close

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Default Any tips for 3.3 valve cover gasket?

Not sure I'll get to it this weekend, since the weather won't be particularly comfortable for working in the driveway, but at some point I want to replace the valve cover gasket on my recently-acquired '82 Zephyr. The engine and front cross-member are absolutely covered in oil grunge; I'm going to do a thorough degreasing, but there's no point in doing that if the valve cover gasket is just going to leak all over the place again. (I imagine the oil pan gasket is probably also to blame, not sure if/when I'll get to that.)

I've got a Fel-pro gasket on hand. In shopping around I only found cork gaskets, so that's what I've got. Are there any tips for the 3.3 valve cover gasket? Spots where one should put RTV to help the cork seal? Or coat the whole damn thing in RTV? Or don't use the cork at all and just use a bead of RTV?

Thanks!

Use a thin bead on the valve cover itself. Set the gasket into the RTV. Let it set up a little until the gasket won't slide anymore. Install the valve cover and torque to specs (or just tight but not too tight).

I think I remember those valve covers having little tabs that hold the gasket so you might be able to get away with not using the sealant at all. It won't hurt though as long as you don't go crazy with it. It doesn't need to be on both sides of the gasket. I've always just used it to keep the gasket from sliding around when you install the cover.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Sounds good. I did notice the gasket itself has little tabs poking off the sides, so I guess those are what help hold it in place on the valve cover. Pretty sure somewhere in the garage I've got some gasket adhesive stuff that's handy for keeping gaskets in place, so I'll probably use a bit of that if the tabs don't seem to be doing the job on their own.

I have a rubber one installed on my car. I think it was a felpro but it has been a long time since I purchased it. I did not use any RTV on mine. The tabs hold it in place fairly well for installation. Just install all the bolts before you torque it down.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I have used this method for years. Done right you can remove and install the cover multiple times before you replace the gasket.

1) Flatten out the cover edges. You would be surprised how warped they get over the years. While you are at it, use a deep socket and a small ball peen hammer and ever so slightly dimple the bolt holes up (toward the bolt head side), just slightly!
    2) clean both mating surfaces well. final wipe with brake clean.
    3) Apply contact cement (I like Wilwood brand and acid brushes) to the rocker cover and the mating gasket side.
    4) Let this set up 15 minutes or so
    5) Place the gasket onto the cover a bit at a time. Once the pieces touch, they are stuck! I hold the gasket high and place down an inch at a time, starting at a bolt hole.
    5) Once it is all in place you can bolt it to the engine. If you plan on taking it off much, run some chapstik around the gasket surface first. This will keep it from sticking, yet let it seal (works will with Holley Gaskets also!).
    6) snug it down in a criss cross pattern starting in the middle. snug a little at a time. I use an inch pound torque wrench. I slowing torque them to specs.
    7) let is sit an hour, come back and torque them 1 more time.

Has worked for years. Once installed and removed, you don't have to do the second torquing. With this, I used 1 pair of gaskets in 2 years on a stock car that I removed the covers bi-weekly. at least 15 times a year.

Good luck!