Close

Default Speedometer Gear Help, with 140mph Speedometer

I thought that I had everything figured out so that my speedo would be pretty accurate. In the end, driving around, its reading about 15 mph faster than my actual road speed.

I am running 275-35-18 rear tires, and 3.73 rear end, and I installed a red speedo gear (forgot to count the number of teeth, but I think its 20 teeth).

I called the company I got the speedo from, and they have no idea what to run.

Does someone know, if I get a new gear, do I need to increase or decrease the number of teeth to slow the speedo down?
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

You are missing one piece of the puzzle...number of teeth on the speedometer DRIVE gear (the gear inside the transmission, on the output shaft).

P275/35R18 = 789 RPM*

Speedometer Drive Gear Teeth x Tire RPM x Rear Axle Ratio / 1000 = Speedometer Driven Gear Teeth

7 x 789 x 3.73 / 1000 = 20.6
    8 x 789 x 3.73 / 1000 = 23.5

*This is a calculated tire RPM, which may not necessarily be the actual RPM. Actual RPM is determined by the tire manufacturer.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

A "red" Ford Parts Dept manual transmission speedometer driven gear is 21T.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...UsageChart.pdf
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Member

More teeth on the driven gear = lower speed indicated on the speedometer. If you are reading high, get a gear with another tooth, or two.

The best way is to calculate what gear you need:
    Drive gear teeth x axle ratio x tire revs per mile / 1000
    7 x 3.73 x 846 / 1000
    22.1 teeth
    The red gear should be 21 teeth

You may have to change the drive gear to a 6 tooth if you can't get a 22 tooth driven gear.

Hope this helps, Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

If you look in the opening for the speedometer drive, most of of the T5 7 tooth main shaft gears are yellow afaik.

Ourobos, that is exactly what I bought today. I don't know which drive gear I have on the output shaft, but I am guessing it must be the later 8 tooth gear, otherwise my speedo would read much less. I think the 23T driven gear should be compatible with the 8 tooth drive gear... if that is in fact whats in my tranny. I should have looked when I had the trans out of the car.

Either way, 2 teeth should slow the speedo down a good bit. From what I can see, that is the highest tooth count, 23, for any of the driven gears, so unless I change the drive gear, that is the best I can do for now.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

If you look in the opening for the speedometer drive, most of of the T5 7 tooth main shaft gears are yellow afaik.