Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Every now and then it is just as important to know where to get parts from as anything else.

Many of us have gutted the stock valve and went to an adjustable, but what if you want to keep the factory look? Where can you find the parts to rebuild a broken proportioning valve?

Another FEP member posted some info in another thread I found useful concerning the brake proportioning valve.

They found a "1960-1970 Ford Mustang Fairlane Comet proportioning valve for disc drum" on Ebay.

Important info about this.....
    * It mounts identically
    * All the port locations are in the same locations
    * Some of the ports are a different size so if trying to just use it, adapters are needed to fit the existing lines.

The above valve contains the all the parts needed to rebuild a factory fox proportioning valve with the added bonus of still being more widely available.

The adapters needed for the connections
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 [h=1]Brake Line Adaptors for Inverted Flare 7/16"-24(Female End) to 3/8"-24(Male End) Pack of 2[/h]

Doing more reading on parts sites looking for a 4 lug rotor that mimics the SN95 rotor

I do not see any 10” versions of the SN95 rear brake. That means 14” rims and 15” SSP rims are out much like the 87-93 V8 front rotor swaps.

Size wise what’s in 10 vs 10.5” really debatable looking at SN95 pad contact area.

1999 - 2002 cougar rotors may work nicely even though they are smaller. Ignore the diameter and focus on the area contacting the pad surface there is 1/4” of no contact on the SN95 rotor. Even at 14 mm smaller C2 rears still just might work. I hope to find time to mock it up eventually. Just have to tear apart my 2000 cougar and an SN95 rear diff and swap in fox 4 lug axles to figure it out

it looks like there are many different versions of SN95 rear brakes, but two most typical.....

non vented and vented

267 mm - 10.5”
    4.5” lug pattern 5 lug
    70 mm hub hole
    49.5 MM hat depth

The brake surface on the non vented is 13mm

the surface on the vented version which uses thinner pads is 22mm

cant tell if there are different calipers for vented and non vented but it does not look like it

Example: https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...80_205475_2708

Cougar rear rotor for reference:
    https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...63_205475_2708
    I noticed they are 43mm hat depth. Seems to me when using SN95 brackets flipped side for side you usually have to use washers to space the caliper bracket back a bit. But is it 6mm? That may put the brackets back where they belong and no spacers actually

So far I’ve noticed there is a Brembo rotor that looks like it may work straight away too. Not certain because they don’t give all the measurements though. Worth calling Brembo
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-brembo-p...iABEgIuj_D_BwE

the other thing I saw is a deep hat rotor that could work with the caliper bracket spaced even further back — by 15 mm
    https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...68229_205733_0

what we plan to do at this point is find a 95-98 SN95 8.8 in decent shape with 3.27 or 3.55 rear gears. We have spare fox axles. Would let us mock this all up in the garage and figure out brackets and rotors and pads and calipers and everything. Once we are sure it all fits we can install it in glidethunder’s 86 GT convertible
    Last edited by erratic50; 11-03-2020 at 03:59 AM.

Just looked at my 86’s SN95 rearend

There's an extra 1/4" of rotor beyond the pads

The hub diameter on the 99-02 Cougar rotor is dead on for a fox axle.

Hat depth looks near dead on without a spacer using flipped SN95 bracket setup depending ..... SN95 is 49 mm hat depth, 47 on the Cougar front rotor, 43 on the rear. Stuff to play with!

The rotor thickness looks in the ballpark with both vs vented disc SN95

So I’m getting more sure all the time that either front or rear Cougar rotor or the other is going to work .... either one may and just boil down to how it’s setup

I do like the 20mm thickness of the Cougar rear. That’s only slightly thinner than the SN95 vented rotor that’s 22

Also the Cougar front rotors are 7mm larger than the 253MM Cougar rear. That’s only 10” while the SN has a 10.5 but when you look at where the pads ride there’s quite a lot of wasted surface out there

specs for Cougar front rotors
    https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...5475_2708_6396

260 mm dia
    47 mm hat depth
    24mm thick

If using a Cougar front to gain back 7MM of the 14MM the Cougar rear rotors give up to the SN95 it may be necessary to turn off some thickness or knock down the pad surface or machine the dead side of the calipers some to allow for clearance - will have to mock it up

Fortunately we own 2 C2 cougars and 3 mustangs ...... so there’s not much need for runs to a parts store, just time in my shop
    Last edited by erratic50; 11-03-2020 at 02:54 AM.

Still playing with search engines to see what might worki haven’t researched this one much yet but it hit when searching 267 and 4x108. ID on hub, hat height and thickness all are plausible, maybeLate 90’s Honda Accord it seems https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one is not much smaller and may work. 2006 Nissan Sentra
    https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...yABEgL9MPD_BwE

Honda - bolt holes would have to be opened up because the pattern is 4x100
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c.../civic-del-sol

162 mm
    44 hat height
    21 mm thick, min is 19
    Hub ID is 64.1 so a hub locator bushing/shim is needed

Fiesta Titanium
    rear
    https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...56_205475_2708
    252.7 mm
    165 mm center
    33 MM hat height
    10mm thick, non vented

Fronts
    258mm
    148 mm center
    have 43.9mm hat height,
    63.6 hub opening
    23mm thick
    Last edited by erratic50; 11-03-2020 at 06:55 PM.

I just noticed that the C2 Cougar V6 front rotors ID at the axle flange is just barely too small to accommodate a Mustang 4 lug axle. It’s still a good option but the axle ends will need to be turned down a little bit.

they are by far the cheapest rotor of any I’ve seen so far, but long term availability may be just as bad as 87-88 tbird

There’s an Audi rotor that’s flat not available even special order that’s right on the money it looks like

The other rotor that’s near perfect in every way is actually a 1985-1989 Merkur XR4Ti 2.3L turbocharged car

Hat height is 7mm more than an SN95 which can be taken up with washers on the back side of the axle flange easily but I would have to cut down the antimoan brackets and use an exhaust clamp to secure them. Oh well, big deal

But the question with the Merkur is will the rotor hat fit over a foxbody axle. Nobody publishes this demension for this rotor that I’ve found so far. I’ll keep googling until I solve this puzzle

the prize? 10.5” vented rear disc brakes on a fox that use SN95 calipers and pads. Wouldn’t that be plain cool?
    Last edited by erratic50; 11-16-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Too bad the car the part is sourced from is just as damn old as our foxes. That’s disappointing as hell.

Can't tell if these will go over the OD of the axle flange or not.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...204692&jsn=821

Finally got my hands on an 85-89 Merkur XR4Ti to measure the inside of the hat and the area that rides by the axle flange. The inner hub seems ok but the area inside the hat is 1/16” too small to fit over the axle

The hat depth and diameter on that rotor and also the Tbird is nearly perfect. Just 1-2 mm too deep. A spacer would be needed to move the brackets further back from the flange. The real issues are they both have a discard thickness that is still too thick for an off the shelf SN95 caliper and availability of those rotors SUCKS. They are expensive at $35-45 each for a mcparts store variety.

2005 Fiesta is a similar story but too large and too thick and even more expensive

There is plenty of meat on the pad stops on a factory caliper — 13MM worth... but getting that precise abd straight and removing 1.4mm of material seems a bit challenging. Then if a caliper messes up youre doing it again even if you’re miles from your shop and good luck talking someone into doing it for you!

The 2002 Cougar on the other hand has a discard of 18 which leaves plenty of room for pads inside of an unmodified. The problem there being its rotor diameter smaller yet so it will require moving the caliper bracket in towards the axle where as Merkur or Tbird would not

So Cougar / Contour rear rotors are most compatible with an SN95 caliper but require slight modification of the axles. Easily accomplished spinning the pinion with a drill and running an angle grinder on them but it’s a 2 person operation

Modeling it out further the E brake bracket and an area that sticks down on the caliper hits on the SN95 bracket if the caliper is moved down and interference is even worse if you do not rotate the caliper bracket slightly on the bracket.

it looks like spacing from an SN95 caliper bracket outward to accommodate the lack of rotor hat depth is around 13mm.

The caliper brackets need to be modified slightly in the rotor run area to allow adequate clearance

But once mods are completed you have 4 lug disc with a rotor made this century and a standard SN95 caliper and standard SN95 rear vented disc brake pads

Couldn’t really hide that this is an actually hands on project with Devon being home for Thanksgiving.

i tried to post up some pictures, still doesn’t work.

in have some welding and grinding and painting left to do before final assembly.

Hi what about the 88 Turbo coupe large front rotors and calipers on an 84 ?

Quote Originally Posted by GUSS View Post
    Hi what about the 88 Turbo coupe large front rotors and calipers on an 84 ?
    no idea...... do you have links to the specific parts you’re referencing?

The setup Ive landed on is going to work and it avoids parts last used in production 30+ years ago,

The contours that used these rotors stopped in around 04. Same with the SN95 calipers.

Trey did an 87-88 Tbird setup with brackets from North Racecars on my 85 Saleen clone. Very simple bolt on operation
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

The 1988 Thunderbird TC uses the 1987-93 V8 Mustang front spindles and its larger 11" rotors. These rotors can't be installed on the spindle for 10" brakes. The calipers won't fit and the bearings are different.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

thanks for grabbing that one Jack. I couldn't make sense of what 84 was being asked about when I first looked at it.

SVO has 11" fronts where-as none of the other foxes had that advantage until 87 and then only V8 cars got it.

My one-off custom build rear-end is assembled and ready to install in Devon's 86GT convertible now

I started with an old 1986-1998 8.8 rear housing with 3.55 gears. It has extra clutches in the diff, etc. I bought the housing from Mark Beacom. That particular 8.8 came from Frank Safranek's race car. Frank's #79 was built by fixing/rebuilding parts Paul Brown had put in his dead bone pile at Paul's shop back in the day. Frank and Mark Beacom raced with Paul a lot back in the day. Frank pulled this 8.8 out when he got a chance to put in a 9" and its sat at Mark's shop ever since - I bought it from Mark and got some cool pictures of some old racecar stuff to boot. Glad to have gotten acquainted with Mark and Frank this past year -- they carry massive amounts of knowledge with them everywhere they go to say the least.

One point of interest is that the lower control arm mounts are modified to drop the rear control arms for better pinion angle and better rear control arm geometry for improved weight transfer and traction. A modification you visually will never see without looking up inside the brackets. Frank did an awesome job on them.

The brake brackets were originally 1994-1998 8.8 rear brake brackets. They were notched and flipped side-for-side as typical with an SN95 on fox brake swap.

From there I had to extensively modify the brackets to move the brake calipers towards the axle.

I'm using 13.5MM of spacing via stacks of washers I first tacked then welded and ground to shape on the brackets.

The rearend uses 1994-2004 Mustang rear calipers and pads designed for vented discs.

The rotors are 2002 mercury cougar vented rear rotors. They had to be turned down to 19.30MM to provide sufficient room for the pads and rotor in the SN95 calipers

The caliper mount brackets /pad brackets had to be opened up wider to avoid bracket/rotor contact. This is not a critical tolerance so I simply used and angle grinder for it. As C-clips wear, they may need to be opened up more -- time will tell.

The axles were sourced from a 1991 Mustang. I believe they are all the same in the Mustangs from 79-93. The axle flanges had to be turned down around 1/8" to clear rotors

The brake hoses and banjo bolts are normal SN95. They are fastened by using pan head philips TV mounting bolts. M10 I believe. I notched then end and used one to cut threads in the 8.8 housing's flange in the usual place.

splash shields are typical run-of-the-mill SN95 riveted on

Hard brake lines were custom made from 3/16" copper 30" lines off the shelf at OReily. I had to increase the fitting on one end to fit the SN95 hoses which was done with an off the shelf fitting. Lines were bent to fit by hand then a new double flare was added on the new end.

"Hard brake lines were custom made from 3/16" copper 30" lines off the shelf at OReily. "

COPPER BRAKE LINES? Uh oh..a typo?

For a Direct fit Master Cylinder with a 1" Bore and 9/16-18 Primary, 1/2x20 Secondary port, Which should fit Mustang 82-86 is the Cardone 101525; its under 73 Ford LTD With Power Brakes. I have not personally tried this but according to the specs it looks like it will fit. I will be purchasing this soon for my brake upgrade on my 84 mustang.

SPECS;

Port Count 2
    Reservoir Type Integral
    Reservoir Included Yes
    Reservoir Material Cast Iron
    Package Contents Master Cylinder
    Installation Hardware Included No
    Product Condition Remanufactured
    Master Cylinder Material Cast Iron
    Mounting Hole Quantity 2
    Bore Diameter (N) 1.00"
    Primary Port Size 9/16 x 18
    Secondary Port Size 1/2 x 20
    Master Cylinder Color/Finish Gray
    Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): D6AZ2140A
    Last edited by stang80s; 01-10-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Sorry for the very delayed response -- did not see your question here.

M1525 or 10-1525 is a direct fit and works beautifully with a stock or stock style booster and stock brakes or reasonable upgrades.

You may need to adjust your booster rod length to taste.

My son ran one in his 1986GT convertible with factory stock brakes. We put performance friction pads in front. It works great, though it does inspire more braking confidence than warranted. The stock brakes still get hot and fade like they always do.

These days he's running the rear disc setup I manufactured for him along with the factory proportioning valve and 10-1525 / M1525 master cylinder.

I've driven the car and it works pretty good

He still needs an adjustable proportioning valve so he can dial in some more rear brakes. Plans to do that when he switches to 87-93 spindles with slotted rotors in front.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    "Hard brake lines were custom made from 3/16" copper 30" lines off the shelf at OReily. "

Not a typo. They are a copper alloy that is carried by many of the Mcparts stores. It is just a ton easier to work with than the stainless steel lines if you have to bends stuff to fit yourself.

Maximum Motorsports carries brake line kits for brake lines for those who do not wish to make them. If I remember right they are different part numbers for the SN95 brakes and cobra/tbird brakes.

Forgot to mention -- the 02 Cougar rotor based setup also required longer wheel studs. Not because they technically wouldn't have worked. Because the amount of threads that catch with the factory 10 hole rims in place made me nervous. Was straight-forward to change them as we had them out already once when we were machining the outer edge of the axle flange and the center hub slightly.

It turned out good and WAY cheaper than a kit. Still not sure I will ever do another one.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post

Nickel/Copper brake lines are great! So much easier to work with.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

The Nickel in the Copper is used to make it stronger and make it much more fatigue resistant. It is usually sold as NyCopp. The color is strange looking, but the stuff is super easy to bend and flare.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

I love the nicop lines, that's all i use anymore
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

No major updates

Devon is finally getting around to doing an adjustable proportioning valve after running it as-is for about a year with the stock proportioning and disc rather than drum brakes

It works as is and is an improvement vs drums but the discs have a lot more to give

Thinking about an all in one

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-class...chrome/p/BPV4/

Has anyone seen this? Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/-RMXl2RPBlE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have their brackets, but I will be using them with SN95 Cobra rear brake calipers on my 82 GT once I get done with my 86 GT Road Racer Project.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller