Close

Default Ford Fox Engineer joins your website

Hello- Yes I was there for the engineering development of all the great Fox vehicles. I bought 83 TBird and a 79 Fairmont . Our team worked hard to bring these unique products to market-glad to read you are keeping them on the road.

Welcome to Fep. Thank You for your work and a great car. The fox mustangs is a great and easy to work on car. Being a mechanic, I wish all cars was as easy to work on as the fox.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Welcome to Four Eyed Pride. Looking forward to hearing more.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Welcome! What area of Michigan are you from?

FEP Member

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing what input you might have on these great little cars! I'm currently in the process of restoring/upgrading a '79 Fairmont myself.

You've got some 'splainin' to do, senor... just kidding, welcome to the site! I know I, and likely many others here, will have brain-picking questions if you'll be entertaining inquiries.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Default Name change

Thanks for the welcoming- I just learned about this site-very impressive cars, talk and enthusiasm. I am remembering some of my favorite prototypes and press shows where we showed off the new cars- 1979 Fairmont/Zephyr Z7- 1979 Red Mustang V8 - 1980 WhiteTurbo Mustang - 1980 Red Capri - 1984 Thunderbird - I was there a long time. I have a favorite picture of me standing next to the 79 Capri on the Ford Test Track. Many of the Ford people were excited about our cars and jobs. Now I am excited seeing the nicely preserved cars you work on. Roger
    Last edited by FoxEngr; 01-30-2018 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Realized mistake

Welcome to the site Roger, glad you found us! I'm sure everyone would love to see some of those pictures if you don't mind sharing.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Roger

We're glad you found us, and joined our forum.

I hope you will start threads in the General BS (or other) sections, discussing some of your activities and remembrances. I for one find it interesting and fascinating to learn about all the work that it takes to make a car happen. Details make these stories come to life. Pics are always welcome too.

As an example, I remember reading in a book (might have been about the development of the Taurus) about the struggle an engineer was having to claim the "real estate" under the hood of the car, in order to place the component he (or she) was responsible for. Those sorts of inside info are fun to hear.

The Fox was obviously an extremely successful platform, you should be proud of your work.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Welcome to the forum!! And as others have said Thank You for all your work at Ford to bring us these cool and fun rides!

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Welcome FoxEngr it will be nice to hear some back stories on the development and production of the Fox platform.
    I worked with the Torrington Co supporting intermediate and upper tilt shaft production.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Welcome to FEP

Detroit engineers often get a bad rap that they don't deserve. After working on my '79 Futura, I've always thought that the Fox platform was one of Ford's best designs. The Fox was designed with the knowledge that improved features (dual exhausts, upgraded suspensions, etc.) would be coming in the future and the early Foxes were built to accept the later hardware when it came available. Good planning.

These successful products have stood the test of time, unlike others from similar and different eras.
    Real good results with limited or no use of computer aids. Warm wide intelligent analog thinking.
    The cold digital era has produced comparatively fewer practical, fun, simple, durable, useful, or eye candy products.
    Narrow micro thinking has created more 'paperwork', added huge costs, time, complexity, to accomplish less.

There are some unsolved mysteries that may be roadblocks in keeping these products alive.
    Repair issues, replacement parts, tech info, and sourcing are ongoing.
    Reverse engineering puzzle pieces.
    Thankfully, have gotten many enjoyable, safe, reliable miles (and counting) from one.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-30-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard- it would be nice to get a bit of inside information on how things came about on these cars. Maybe we can finally solve the mystery of the 1,000 extra holes in the engine bay!
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Welcome! You are going to be a celebrity here!

Loved the 83 TBirds so much I bought one new in 1983 and still have it. What a great car.

Do you recall much of the SVO program?

Looking forward to hearing anything you want to share.

Name:  83 TBird.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  1984 SVO.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  62.5 KB

Welcome! The foxbody captured the hearts and imaginations of many of us when we were young and still has them both today!

For me the first time I saw the 85-86 GT I just had to have one. Years later, that's exactly what all my lawn mowing money went for! A black one with red interior, 5.0, 5 speed, etc. Every young man's dream (and possibly Camaro owners worst nightmare!)

My 1986GT was my daily driver my senior year in high school, all of college, and much of my children's childhood. 18 years of daily abuse in Nebraska, rain, snow, or shine. I've amassed nearly 1/2 million miles on it, many were 1/4 mile at a time admittedly. Many more done more-so like a cannonball run, or something, lots within the posted limits too.

Around 7 years ago I took to testing parts under the hood that I eventually want on the car after it's all redone and rebuilding the worn out suspension under it. (Broken springs left front and right rear, go figure...). Intake, throttlebody, headers, T5Z, SN95 suspension and brake parts, etc.

I say all this with enthusiasm to convey one thing - I've enjoyed my foxbody Mustang about as much as anyone could ever hope enjoy a car in a lifetime.

My now wife drove an 89 LX 5.0 convertible when we first started dating and it's a car we kept until around 7 years ago. It also amassed miles but not like my 86. My son grew up and bought an 86GT that's just the same as my car was except his is a convertible.... so a blend of the two he grew up in, go figure. And so it continues!

With that, thank you for spending your time engineering the platform we love!

Welcome, Roger!!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold