Close

Default '79 Capri Clutch Pedal

My '79 Capri 5.0 has the SROD that I'm replacing with a '87 WC T-5.

If I want to go with the '82-on quadrant-style clutch cable, I've read numerous references to...

Please Note: To install this kit in 1979-80 vehicles with manual adjustment clutch mechanisms, the 1982 and later self-adjusting quadrant mechanism must be purchased from Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealers.

...and yet I cannot find this mechanism for sale anywhere.

Anybody know how I might source it?

Short of replacing the entire pedal assembly with one from '82-on, could I get just the clutch pedal & quadrant only from a '82-on and install it to use the '82-on cable?

Or should I just stick with the '79 - '80 style cable?

Thanks very much - David.
    ============================
    David in Boston
    Current = '79 Capri 5.0
    Former = '90 Mustang LX 5.0, '86 LTD LX 5.0

The auto-adjuster mechanisms were JUNK. Everyone switches to aftermarket manually adjustable units.

The 3 prong kit from UPR comes with a firewall adjuster. Its pretty decent, but the clutch cable is pure garbage.
    http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-q...-cable-79.html

As far as most everyone is concerned -- get a cable from Maximum Motorsports! Dont bother with the other ones. It's made by the same company that made the OEM cables for Ford originally so its outstanding.
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM...2-04-P897.aspx

I haven't tried their kit because I already had the UPR three prong setup installed, but they do make one.
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Cl...kage-P385.aspx

Make sure you watch your clutch vs pivot vs flywheel shim adjustment if you're putting one together. If you get it wrong you'll suffer with it until you find a work around or pull it down and fix it.

I put in a new flywheel on my car when I redid the clutch this last time so I didn't know where I was and had to guess on my release fork vs pivot ball vs flywheel thickness. I guessed wrong. I took too many spacers out from between the flywheel and the crank unfortunately.

work-around: I knocked the guts out of a pilot bearing and used the center section for a spacer for the cable at the bellhousing. I also used the cable shim on the quadrant end the MM kit came with.

In the end with the manual adjuster where I want it (most of the way in), the setup works great. Low effort new 93 Cobra pedal feel from an obnoxiously firm pressure plate designed to hold way more power than I have.
    Last edited by erratic50; 01-28-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Nothing wrong keeping anything simple as possible, using quality parts.
    The manual adj cable version is easy to adjust once under car.
    Allows location of clutch pedal release point to individual driving style.
    Installed a 45.00 Pioneer brand from AZone in 2001.
    So far, 100,000+ miles of dd use.

As to self adjusting, hyd clutch systems are more involved, but work well.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-29-2018 at 12:40 AM.

To install the quadrant setup on your 79 requires the clutch pedal to be replaced with a pedal and shaft (one piece) from a latter model quadrant style vehicle.
    This is almost impossible to do without removing the entire pedal assembly.
    Even then you will need a donor pedal assembly. Why not just replace the whole thing at that point.
    But why do it at all?
    The 79 cable with a manual firewall adjuster worked best for me.
    79 cables are different than the 82-93 cables that are popular in most kits.
    79 cables are available from NPD.

For clarity - are there pictures of the differences? Links to the suggested parts?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...tch+cable,1972

Here is a Rock auto link that will show both cables.
    the 79 cable installs over a pin with a hole for a clevis pin to retain it
    The 82-93 cable installs over the quadrant.
    The quadrant will not fit the 79 pedal assembly unless it is updated.
    Sorry I just went through all of this with my car, and i did not take pics.
    I wish I had.

Good info, all... I think I'll stick with the 79-80 style. The 79-80 pedal shaft/bell crank has an upright and then a pin onto which the cable end hooks with a hairpin to hold it... no quadrant fits. Then the clutch adjustment is made at the bellhousing.

Here's a pic:

Name:  79-80 Clutch Cable.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  18.1 KB
    ============================
    David in Boston
    Current = '79 Capri 5.0
    Former = '90 Mustang LX 5.0, '86 LTD LX 5.0

This is one repair area where our 79 cars shine with simplicity and low repair costs.

Shift the money and time from the aborted quadrant mod toward a good aftermarket T5 shifter.

On my 79 2.3T, the oem cable broke at the trans end 11pm on new years eve 12/31/85.
    A triage parking lot repair, using flat jaw vice grips to splice the 2 ends together.
    Wired the tool to the car frame so would not lose it. Never came loose.
    Was able to clutch it for red lights. Took freeway 30 miles. Made it home.
    Replaced cable Friday, 1/3/86 in 1 hour.
    Dealer D9ZZ-7K553, D version. 37.90
    Second replacement cable in 2001 took 1 hour.
    Have a new 3rd one in the bag ready to go.

Have been keeping a data base about the car since 2/5/82.
    Initially used a spiral notebook. Transferred recording data to pc sometime in the 90's.
    Invaluable when keeping anything like a car for a long time.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-29-2018 at 03:37 PM.

FYI...my sons 1980 cobra has a T5 conversion with an old style donor pedal from another 1980. I ordered the long cable from NPD with clevice and cotter pin and it fit good. I think it was the only place I found with that older style.

I also thought it would be handy to have a firewall adjuster, so not knowing I purchased one (probably for an 82+ pedal) and then found that the clevice style attachment prevented the cable from going through the aluminum sleeve on the adjuster.

I am not sure if they make an adjuster for the old style cables or at least I never seen one during my searching.

Not to be outdone I got out the die grinder and file and made a notch in the aluminum sleeve just big enough for the cable to slide through. Now we have a coarse adjustment at the bell end and a firewall adjust for tweaks...works good in my opinion if you don't mind modifying the adjuster slightly. It is sure nice to give it a couple clicks either way without crawling under the car.

FEP Senior Member

One more vote to keep thefactory early style pedal and cable. I have converted 2 different automaic Fairmonts, as well as my 85 Mustang from automatic to T5s using the early non quadrant clutch setup. I bought stock replacement Pioneer brand clutch cables from my local auto parts store. (Tell them its a 79 Mustang V8 4 speed). The cable has a threaded ajuster at the bottom, and works fine with the stock T5 bellhousing and clutch fork. I see no reason at all to do a bunch of work, and spend a bunch of money, to upgrade(?) to a more complicated, less reliable quadrant style setup. And if you decided to eliminate the self adjusting quadrant, and buy an adjustable cable, you would be spending even money money and effort , all to duplicate what you already have!
    I am also using the early non quadrant clutch mechanism in my low 10 second all motor 331 78 Fairmont, works great!
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

That is the fun part. Getting the pedal just right. Crawling 2-3 times under.
    Or as many times as it takes, since jack and everything is set up.
    Takes longer to set up and put away than does the actual adjustment.
    Once done, final setting will last for years of driving.
    I like both the car and the truck to be close to the same.
    After the shop installed the last clutch, pedal was too low.
    Had to deal with that until had time and was in the mood to do the job.
    Like in hockey, dump the puck in, then skate in to make a play.
    That firewall adjuster make the play easy. Good to know it can work with an adj. cable.

I forgot to mention that on my other 1980 cobra I did the swap to the 82+ model pedal from an 80's 6cyl mustang which I rebuilt with an aftermarket aluminum quadrant (not sure of the type now) also with a firewall adjuster and also the adjustable cable at the bell end.

It fit good in the end but was a bit of work to swap the assembly in. I found you need to loosen a few things under the dash to get them in place. Not impossible though with a bit of patience working in an awful awkward position. Removing the driver seat is almost a must. While it was out I also rigged up and mounted a safety switch which I have yet to splice in.

Having basically the same cars with both the new style and old style pedals I can say that the newer style with the upgraded quadrant is noticeably easier to operate...not a huge difference but noticeably easier...so this may be a consideration for a daily driver in traffic or someone who runs a stiffer pressure plate (as erratic mentioned)