Close

Default repair power window track 84 convertible

The last thing I need to do to finish my resto of my 84 is the finally get the power window operation corrected. Especially on the driver side.

Two things I need to do are;

drill out the rivet and replace the pop rivet in the door stop (puck).
    Problem is Ford never left access to this item so I'll have to cut an access hole to get a rivet gun into. Also I don't see a way to drill out the old rivet if its spinning and since its mounted in glass I cant use a center punch to hammer it out. Any suggestions/

Name:  window stop.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  98.0 KB

the other thing I'd like to do, but it may not be 100% needed, is to replace the regulator guides that float back and forth in the track. There's resto parts as well as NOS on ebay for these but I don't see a way to get the guide roller out without removing the entire regulator. has anyone changed these out before?

Name:  regulator guide.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  73.0 KB

Drill, quickly so hopefully it doesn't get spinning, and carefully... or is the reason you want to replace the rivet is because it's loose already? If that's the case, you might have to sacrifice the puck in order to get ahold of the rivet from spinning... or maybe get ahold of the back side of the rivet?...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Drill, quickly so hopefully it doesn't get spinning, and carefully... or is the reason you want to replace the rivet is because it's loose already? If that's the case, you might have to sacrifice the puck in order to get ahold of the rivet from spinning... or maybe get ahold of the back side of the rivet?...
    The puck on the driver side is very loose so I need to replace the rivet and not destroy the puck. I cannot find a replacement just like the one I have. Its impossible to hold the rivet from the back. Its the kind that splits into 3 fingers. Last time I tried to hold one while drilling it cut into my fingers pretty good.

That puck is the hard stop when the window closes. The slop prevents me from properly adjusting my hard stops.

Oh, those are nasty. Ouch, be careful... I meant with some vice grips or something to get ahold of the rivet. Could some epoxy be applied, in and around the rivet head and around the puck and the glass, and it positioned snug against the glass again for the epoxy to cure, to stabilize it... maybe? Not sure how else to solve this without removal...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Oh, those are nasty. Ouch, be careful... I meant with some vice grips or something to get ahold of the rivet. Could some epoxy be applied, in and around the rivet head and around the puck and the glass, and it positioned snug against the glass again for the epoxy to cure, to stabilize it... maybe? Not sure how else to solve this without removal...
    any suggestion about the regulator guide?

The roller for the regulator guide is easy. There should be a clip holding the roller to the regulator pin. Reach in, pull the clip out. The regulator arm has enough flex that you should be able to pull the arm out just far enough to slide the old roller out the end of the track. Install new roller in reverse order.

Do you have a dremel tool that you can reach in there with to grind or cut one end of the rivet off the puck? You could put another rivet in there but you could also use a short 1/4" bolt and locknut. I have done this in the past withou any problems. Plus it's inside the door where nobody will be the wiser.
    Last edited by dagenham; 01-28-2018 at 03:49 PM.