Close

Default New to Foxbodys and possible wheel fitment.

So I'm about to pick up my first foxbody. 1986 GT completely stock suspension/brakes all that. First thing im buying for it is wheels and tires cause I'm not a fan of the 10 holes on it and the tires are flat spotted. I'm really wanting to go with the 17x9/10 staggered set from lmr with the nittos mounted on them. My question is how much does it take to make them fit? I'm not afraid to do some modifying to an extent. Spacers required? Any information would be great.

This is the set I'm talking about: https://lmr.com/item/WTK-1007DBA/198...ire-Nitto-Tire

Their page list most of the requirements to make them fit on your 86 GT.

A front spacer usually 1/8"-1/4" will be needed to clear the struts unless you swap out to 87-93 V8 front brakes.

You may need to add rack limiters to the Rack & Pinion to prevent rubbing when turning lock to lock.

Most likely the quad shocks will have to be removed.

A Good chance you will need to the roll the rear fender lips to prevent rubbing on the tires.

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'll have to dig around on their site a little more then cause I didn't see that. Appreciate the response. Ive rolled fenders and used spacers before so thats no worry to me. And from what ive read removing the quad shocks is a crap shoot whether it have any problems or not. Guess im just gonna wing it and see what happens! Anyone have any pictures with these wheels on? Mines a white hatch but I'll take as much inspiration as I can get.

Scrolling down...

"
    Wheel Clearance Notes
    -1979-93 Mustang All: Steering rack limiters may be needed to eliminate rubbing issues when turning.
    -1979-86 Mustang All: Requires a wheel spacer OR upgrading to 1987-1993 5.0 struts, spindles & brakes.
    -1987-93 Mustang 4-cyl: Requires a wheel spacer OR upgrading to 1987-1993 5.0 struts, spindles & brakes.
    -May require an 8MM spacer to keep the grease cap from pushing out the center cap.
    - 1979-93 Mustangs All: Quad shocks may need to be reversed or removed for proper fitment. Please check for clearance issues before driving the car."
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I ran 17x9 all around, no rubbing issues after just a simple 1/4" spacer in front. Ran 18x9 and 18x10 bullitts with the same 1/4" spacers (unilug spacers from LMR) and only needed to roll rear fenders. 255/35/18 and 285/35/18 tires. Kept quad shocks and just cleared them.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-N-Y View Post
    I ran 17x9 all around, no rubbing issues after just a simple 1/4" spacer in front. Ran 18x9 and 18x10 bullitts with the same 1/4" spacers (unilug spacers from LMR) and only needed to roll rear fenders. 255/35/18 and 285/35/18 tires. Kept quad shocks and just cleared them.
    Good info! Thanks for the reply.

I can tell you from experience ..... if you look up the SN95 17" tri-bar rims, they are either 8 or 8.5" wide. Can't remember right now. But on my 86GT those fit about perfect so look up that offset and backspace info and start from there. I ran a 245/45/17 tire with them and had only minimal rubbing. A 255/40/17 would have been better IMO but would have needed a spacer so the tire didn't rub on the strut.

Details on how I made it fit was 83 Ford Ranger 5-lug rotor and 86GT spindles. They JUST cleared the struts. So tight that the wheels cleared but the wheel weights hit the strut. a 1/4" spacer would have helped the rub less when turning and would have let me leave the weights instead of moving to stick-ons.

Today I run the same tires under my 86GT with SN95 spindles, Baer drilled/slotted discs, performance pads, 99GT calipers, X2 balljoints, stock low mileages GT springs, HPM caster/camber plates. (etc..... lots of parts were researched and thrown at it) My car sits right at 1.5" lower than stock. Handling and braking performance is night an day better compared to the same wheels/tires hung off the stock stuff, believe it or not.

Some guys talk about Lincoln fenderwells having more room and fitting. This much is true. I simply jacked mine where I wanted them and screwed them in and called it good.

This is what I know will work.

17x9" rims can work also. A buddy has them on his 86 with 255/40/17 tires. They JUST clear the A-arms -- JUST. Rack limiters were required. He cannot turn anywhere near as sharp as my car can.