Close

Default Pulsating lights. Entire car issue

I cleaned all my grounds. I added a ground from my battery to my frame. Same size wire as ground to engine block. Replaced voltage regulator. Been debating on going 1 wire 130 amp alt to eliminate some wiring/ possible issue. Battery measures 900 caa rates at 730. I been dealing with this over a year. I just don't drive at night. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stangsgt83 View Post
    I cleaned all my grounds. I added a ground from my battery to my frame. Same size wire as ground to engine block. Replaced voltage regulator. Been debating on going 1 wire 130 amp alt to eliminate some wiring/ possible issue. Battery measures 900 caa rates at 730. I been dealing with this over a year. I just don't drive at night. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have an 83 gt. 5.0 5spd

FEP Supporter

"Pulsating". Is it a consistent pattern or random? Also when you say entire car when the lights are on; interior, dash, parks and headlights all the same time?

My first thought was that it may be a loose wire at a connector and that you may want to wiggle and check some of those. Maybe I am thinking more of a "flicker" than a pulse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Have you replaced the headlight switch?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    "Pulsating". Is it a consistent pattern or random? Also when you say entire car when the lights are on; interior, dash, parks and headlights all the same time?

My first thought was that it may be a loose wire at a connector and that you may want to wiggle and check some of those. Maybe I am thinking more of a "flicker" than a pulse.
    Interior lights and exterior lights pulsate at the same rate. If i give it gas it increases the rate of pulses. I'll take video tonight so it's more visible and post it.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Have you replaced the headlight switch?
    Multi function switch replaced but not the pull out on off switch.

Sounds to me like a bad headlight switch if you have done everything else. I would definitely give that a try. You don't state what year and model you are working on, so we can only guess.

The Fox headlight switch is know to deteriorate over time and it seems to be even worse on GT/RS models with Fog lights in my experience. Ford runs a lot of load thru the switch, so its only a matter of time before things start overheating.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The pulsing indicates a voltage sine wave. Only way that is happening is from the alternator; probably has some bad diodes in it. It'll likely die outright soon and your lights will just be constantly dim, problem solved.

Multi function switch replaced but not the pull out on off switch.

The plug on the pull out on off headlight switch might be loose, vibrating with vehicle vibration...

In case you're not versed in this, and this is an '83 we are talking about... headlight switch removal:
    - disconnect battery negative cable from battery
    - reach up behind the dash in there and you'll feel a button on the top of the headlight switch case, press that down
    - pull the knob and stem all the way out
    - unscrew (counter clockwise) the chrome/other outer trim collar where the knob/stem was
    - take the switch back and down
    - see what shape the plug (and the wires/connections to it) is in and whether it's loose, and/or replace the switch if it's "relaying" out sporadically shutting lights off and on...

Otherwise, may be a charging (alternator, regulator, wires/connections continuity, etc.) issue, which will be affecting more than just the lights. What does a volt/multi meter say when connected to the battery terminals while idling?...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 01-28-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    The pulsing indicates a voltage sine wave. Only way that is happening is from the alternator; probably has some bad diodes in it. It'll likely die outright soon and your lights will just be constantly dim, problem solved.
    I tested my system with a snap on starting and charging system tester. Pic are the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    The plug on the pull out on off headlight switch might be loose, vibrating with vehicle vibration...

In case you're not versed in this, and this is an '83 we are talking about... headlight switch removal:
    - disconnect battery negative cable from battery
    - reach up behind the dash in there and you'll feel a button on the top of the headlight switch case, press that down
    - pull the knob and stem all the way out
    - unscrew (counter clockwise) the chrome/other outer trim collar where the knob/stem was
    - take the switch back and down
    - see what shape the plug (and the wires/connections to it) is in and whether it's loose, and/or replace the switch if it's "relaying" out sporadically shutting lights off and on...

Otherwise, may be a charging (alternator, regulator, wires/connections continuity, etc.) issue, which will be affecting more than just the lights. What does a volt/multi meter say when connected to the battery terminals while idling?...
    I have ordered a motorcraft switch to swap out this week. I am a tech just starting out. I do have a snap on charging system tester. I took a pic of the results. I'm trying to post a video of the lights in action. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a6e5bf9...128_181821.mp4

Interior lights and exterior lights pulsate at the same rate. If i give it gas it increases the rate of pulses. I'll take video tonight so it's more visible and post it.

Here is the videohttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a6e5db0...128_181821.mp4

Your voltage is out of range -- too high. Its probably the voltage regulator.

79-85 those are on the fender.
    86+ they are integrated into the back of the alternator

My son's 86GT did the exact same thing then it smoked a perfectly good battery so I replaced the alternator and battery and cables.

That is my educated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Your voltage is out of range -- too high. Its probably the voltage regulator.

79-85 those are on the fender.
    86+ they are integrated into the back of the alternator

My son's 86GT did the exact same thing then it smoked a perfectly good battery so I replaced the alternator and battery and cables.

That is my educated guess.
    That's what I was debating on. I been looking to see what 15 volts all the time would do to my car. I think I'm going to buy a 1 wire altenator with it integral to the case. My old wires are cracking now I been digging in to it. I wraped all the spots i found in electrical tape.

Yeah, I agree with the alt thing.

A good setup should be 13.5-14.5 under full load at idle. A completely stock 2g in my car while turning on every power sapping thing I could at once barely dropped it to 12.9 if I remember right.

I like my max voltage to be about 14.2v. If its higher then that, it will boil off the battery over time in my experience.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

^ this ^

what he said. Smoked battery, or exploded. Depends upon your luck. Mine have literally melted the case before. Took a good long while with baking soda to get all the acid neutralized.