Close

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Question '82 Zephyr 3.3 fuel filter location

As discussed in the "Other Four Eyes" forum, I recently acquired an '82 Zephyr Z7.

One mystery, as I'm buying some "tune up" parts online - where is the fuel filter? I expected to see one back by the tank, as it is on my '89 Mustang, but I guess that's the EFI configuration. On the Zephyr there's just a hose from the outlet on the top of the tank to a hard line on the chassis. I haven't traced that hard line the length of the car, but there's definitely not an inline filter at the rear of that hard line, and there's not an inline filter at the front of the hard line (where it emerges into the engine bay at the base of the driver side strut tower). There's just a hose that goes from the hard line at the frame rail to the fuel pump - no inline filter there.

Rock Auto shows a couple of different types of filters, but I don't see where they would go. Will I find a filter if I follow the hard line along the bottom of the car (and then feel really stupid for posting this question)?

Looks to me like it screws into the carburetor inlet.

Mike

Thanks! Having never seen the carb inlet, I would never have known that from looking at the picture. And I was expecting to find a filter upstream of the fuel pump, so I wouldn't have even thought to look at the very end of the fuel flow path!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Thanks! Having never seen the carb inlet, I would never have known that from looking at the picture. And I was expecting to find a filter upstream of the fuel pump, so I wouldn't have even thought to look at the very end of the fuel flow path!
    The whole carb is ass about backwards for the 3.3 liter Foxes. Two filters have historically existed, the various kinds of 1960-before 1974 fuel pump kind, which often had a spin on filter like this....

and the itty bitty stintered in line Holley 1940/1946 /Autolite 1100/1101/ Motorcraft 1-bbl carb filter.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

Check the item listed "HCI Valve" , the Hot Idle Compensator, is not shown in all 1946 rebuild info.

Eric the Car guys videos show it, and so does RED 78'

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    You can download them from my site.
    Here is the direct link.
    "http://myzephyrs.com/holly_carb_1946.htm"
    http://myzephyrs.com/holly_carb_1946.htm
    Jim's info is exceptionally good.

This lack of proper detail info created a lot of trouble for many carb rebuilders.

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75674

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    Confirming the factory1978 1946 Holley diagram with what might be the right hookups for 1978-1979 T code 200's.

1980-1982 B codes and 1983 X codes differ. Spark valve is in another place I think.

Proper answer from Bob the builder,

"Spark port on my Holley 1946 - manifold vs. ported vacuum"

Post #8 by 62Ranchero200 » Tue May 29, 2012 "

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=...521947#p521947
    Quote Originally Posted by 62Ranchero200
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFish
    "Spark Port" is most definitely a ported source, not manifold.
    The photos in those pictures are labeled differently than the Ford manuals.
    I am currently running my dizzy off the "venturi vacuum port, works fine. There's is no discernible difference between that one and the EGR port on the passenger side. You can hook up a vacuum guage and compare to verify this.
    RPM at idle should not change when hooked up to ported vacuum or not.
    What is the timing with no vacuum to the dizzy?
    Tonight I hooked up a vacuum gauge to each of the three vacuum ports on my Holley 1946:

"Spark" port - 15" at idle, 15" at 2000 RPM, staying at 15" as RPM increased further
    "EGR" port - 7.5" at idle, 15" at 2000 RPM, increasing slightly as RPM increased further
    "Venturi" port - 0 both at idle and at 2000 RPM

I hooked up the DS II vacuum advance to the "EGR" port. Now it doesn't advance too far at idle, but it advances at higher RPM.

Bob the Builder

Picture?

No one seasms to get the FoMoCo Duraspark II dual advance and three port vac 1946 Holley Carb hookup. The YFA has a different kind of hookup.

Each 1-bbl carb has to have the right emissions hookups to work.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    oldie but a goodie for 1978-1979 T code 200's with the early Holley 1946

ETCG Gets a New Car! -EricTheCarGuy 79 I6 Fairmont!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L22G...U14Vt7JJ_QSZvs

Carburetor Rebuild Basics (Part 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85nszLpbbXY

Carburetor Rebuild Basics (Part 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dprLQcQrAqE

Carburetor Rebuild Basics (Part 3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrJQRtBNck

I quickly pulled the (broken) air cleaner assembly off and verified I've got the little filter on the carb inlet, but I'm fairly certain it's not the one that Mike posted the picture of. That Fram G3596 appears to be a later style (11/81+, according to Rock Auto); mine looks to have the Fram G22A style, which is thinner and has a hose barb on the end rather than being threaded on both inlet and outlet. I'll take another look to be sure I'm getting the right part.

The previous owner rebuilt the carb to get the car running (after it had been sitting for many years); I'm going to trust he did that properly, since it's highly unlikely I would do a better job - I last touched a carb 30+ years ago in shop class on a B&S mower engine. I'm not sure if he replaced the fuel filter or not. Even if he did, it's only a few bucks, can't hurt to replace it again.

Proper 3.3 maintenance on a performance build car consists of immediate removal and replacement with a V8. The entire 3.3 engine assembly is considered a consumable in these cases.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

That is the plan, but in the interim, I'd like to be able to drive the car so I can move it around and get it to where I have access to a lift to work on things.

Oh, and it turns out my quick look under the hood last night was in error - I do have the "newer" style filter that Mike posted, so I'll pick one of those up tomorrow.

Rockauto.com can be your friend.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Proper 3.3 maintenance on a performance build car consists of immediate removal and replacement with a V8. The entire 3.3 engine assembly is considered a consumable in these cases.