Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Measuring for Custom Wheels - Advice Requested

With my widebody going, I went to measure for the new wheels last night. I would like to run a 315 tire on 18x10.5 wheels (square setup) if possible. I'm not opposed to spacers or going after longer studs if needed. Where I'm stuck is at the front. The back should be OK.

Here is the car being measured, and what I came away with last night.

Attachment 118523

Attachment 118524

Attachment 118525

Attachment 118526

I'm right now leaning toward a set of Rovos Pretoria in 18x10.5" (6.7" backspacing +23mm offset) that are made for the SN95 chassis.

My setup is:
    REAR
    Fox axle housing with 97 GT axles (3/4" wider per side)
    Eibach Sportline lowering springs
    OEM control arms (upper & lower)
    Maier Racing 3" flare

FRONT
    Fox lower control arm
    94/95 spindle, 97 brake disc & caliper
    Eibach Sportline lowering springs
    Maier Racing 3" flare
    Koni Red strut

This is going to be 95% street / show car, and maybe a track car a couple times per year to start.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

FEP Member

Looks like you have a good handle on it. I like taking an existing setup and plugging it into this calculator: http://www.willtheyfit.com to see how much closer the new setup will be to rubbing. Works pretty good if you have something to start with.

You state that the car is 95% street, with that I assume the wheel tire combo is as much for looks and the "cool" factor as much as anything. I say that with no malice or judgement meant, just trying to determine what the ultimate goal is here.

The reason I ask is that a 315 on a 10.5 rear wheel is a decent setup, but with the 3" flares you should have plenty of room for more if you wish. So my questions would be : Is this choice for costs?, What you have right now? Just personal choice? Etc.

I have the Maier 1.5" front fenders and I will be building my own rear flares since I honestly don't want to spend the $$ on flares that don't fit that well and ultimately cost me $1K by the time I ship them. I know with my setup that includes SVO rear brake and axles right now (what I had ready to go ) I can easily fit a 345/30/17 on a pair of Cobra R 10.5 (27mm offset) and fit under a 1.5" flare with plenty of clearance inside. The reason for that setup is once again using what I currently have. Personally I would prefer the 345 on at least an 11" if not 12" wide wheel for better fitment and wider track. For best tire fitment I will probably drop down to a 315 if I stay with the current wheels. I really think you should consider at least an 11" if not 12" wide rear wheel unless there are other constraints such as cost, style, etc. that are more pressing issues.

Here is a quick look at my 345 on a 10.5 setup with stock quarter. The tire sticks out past the outside of the quarter @ 1-1.25"

Name:  2018-01-25 11.03.33.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  2018-01-25 11.03.39.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  75.1 KB

Here is the setup with a quick copy of the 1.5" front flair to give me an idea of fitment. You can see that using the 345 I will probably have to push the flair out at least another 1/2" to be sure it clears the tire.

Name:  2018-01-25 11.05.52.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  104.3 KB

I will also comment on your front setup. I assume again that the Fox length front control arms are because that is what you had on the car or had available. I would recommend seriously considering at least a pair of OEM SN95 front control arms to widen the front track to help improve not only the handling of the vehicle as that will better match up with your rear track width, but that will also most likely help with front wheel/tire selection. You are most likely going to be severely limited in off the shelf options that will fit up front and yet provide a nice wide setup to fill your front wheel wells.

With your current setup a 9" front wheel with 24mm offset is about the max you can fit with a stock front fender and not rub on the outside. The 24mm offset is also about the maximum you can run without having strut clearance issues too. Now you have added 3" of additional clearance to the outside. So theoretically adding 3" of wheel (not guaranteeing that is possible just using as an example) You would have a 12" front wheel but you would need an offset of @ -12mm to keep the same @ 6" backspacing (clearance needed for the inside). Needless to say, in my experience that is a tough wheel to find. Obviously you don't need a 12" front wheel, I was just using that as an example if not a bit of an exaggerated one at that.

If you swap to the SN95 front control arms you will add @ 1" of track width per side that will increase your front grip, reduce understeer, increase corner speed, and will reducing binding in the front suspension if using OEM Ford SN95 ball joints. That will also most likely make more wheel choices available to you due to the difference in offset required to clear the front struts. If you use stock 99-04 OEM control arms you will also gain some additional tire clearance lock to lock due to the slightly different shaped control arm. Obviously you can also consider aftermarket options such as Maximum Motorsports, but since your current setup uses Eibach springs, that would not work as coil overs are required.

Another question I have is in regards to your drawing. The Front diagram appears to show you measuring from the back side of the rotor. I assume that is a mistake as your straight edge in the photo appears to be mounted to the wheel flange of the rotor. Not a big deal, just making sure.

If it were me, I would seriously consider at least an 11" if not 12" wheel for your setup up front. Not sure those are options depending on your wheel design choices and available offsets/bolt pattens. I also recommend looking into Forge Star wheels http://www.forgestar.com/wheels/collection/ They are a reasonably priced option and a well designed wheel that has a ton of offset and size options that are extremely helpful when doing these type of custom setups. There are more expensive options out there such as CC Wheels http://www.ccwheel.com/ if your budget allows as well as others.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Trey,

Thanks for the lengthy reply. Let me answer some of your questions. I think this discussion is answering my questions.

You state that the car is 95% street, with that I assume the wheel tire combo is as much for looks and the "cool" factor as much as anything. I say that with no malice or judgement meant, just trying to determine what the ultimate goal is here.

Yes, it's more "wow factor" than anything. I want to run in the Optima Series and I want to run some SCCA at some local tracks within a few hours, maybe even a GoodGuys event sometime. But, that will be so limited that I don't feel I should try and build a competitive car for a set of rules I may or may not run. I want this car to be somewhat comfortable, not beating me to pieces at every bump, and I can drive it a few hours if I have the nerve to do it. Cruising around and showing it off are really the main purpose. It won't be competitive against anything and it's meant to be fun to finish and just drive around. That is why I say 95% street.

The reason I ask is that a 315 on a 10.5 rear wheel is a decent setup, but with the 3" flares you should have plenty of room for more if you wish. So my questions would be : Is this choice for costs?, What you have right now? Just personal choice? Etc.

Right now I have nothing. No wheels, no tires. I have a set of 4-lug Cobra wheels that are up for sale. The choice is based off what I have seen others running with a similar set-up (I'm not smart enough to brave a new path in this area), and I do have a budget in mind. The Rovos wheels are ~$270 / wheel which is affordable to me. I'm negotiable to a point, but realistic in that I can't afford something 3-piece forged most likely and it needs to be replaceable without selling a kidney. The 315 isn't set in stone, but I have in mind that I want have a square setup for rotational purposes. I'm not opposed to a staggered setup either.

I have the Maier 1.5" front fenders and I will be building my own rear flares since I honestly don't want to spend the $$ on flares that don't fit that well and ultimately cost me $1K by the time I ship them.

I know your pain. I think I've finally figured out how to fix mine to my liking.

I really think you should consider at least an 11" if not 12" wide rear wheel unless there are other constraints such as cost, style, etc. that are more pressing issues.

Cost is driving the bus right now, and the ability to rotate the wheels (that may be silly considering the car). I'm still trying to figure it out.

I assume again that the Fox length front control arms are because that is what you had on the car or had available. I would recommend seriously considering at least a pair of OEM SN95 front control arms to widen the front track to help improve not only the handling of the vehicle as that will better match up with your rear track width, but that will also most likely help with front wheel/tire selection. You are most likely going to be severely limited in off the shelf options that will fit up front and yet provide a nice wide setup to fill your front wheel wells.

I put the front suspension off my wrecked '92 notch on this car (k-member, LCA, springs, struts). The spindles, brakes, and 5-lug hubs are the new pieces in the puzzle, but added for bigger brakes than the Fox pieces and 5-lug wheels. I would like to stay with the Fox LCA for now just to get the car up and running. I'm not opposed to changing eventually, but continually tearing the car down for more parts is starting to put a strain on me. I did have a 9" Cobra R type wheel on the '92 previously (the '80 had the steel OEM wheels until I tore it down). That is why I thought a 10.5 would be able to fit now.

Another question I have is in regards to your drawing. The Front diagram appears to show you measuring from the back side of the rotor. I assume that is a mistake as your straight edge in the photo appears to be mounted to the wheel flange of the rotor. Not a big deal, just making sure.

Yes, a mistake. I was doing a lot of other stuff while I was measuring (filming for YouTube and answering DMs). I put the line in the wrong place, and of course with pen you can't erase it.

If it were me, I would seriously consider at least an 11" if not 12" wheel for your setup up front. Not sure those are options depending on your wheel design choices and available offsets/bolt pattens. I also recommend looking into Forge Star wheels or CC Wheels if your budget allows as well as others.

I am still figuring it out. I started thinking about the 18" w/ 315 tire so long ago, I'm probably being bullheaded about it. I'll do what makes it work in the long-term. I put up a post on Instagram earlier today tagging a lot of wheel and tire companies looking for suggestions from their catalog. I added the pictures that I posted here, so they can see the same info (and mistakes!) that you did. Someone may have something they want to see on the car, and I'll go from there. I may just order a set for the rear at first that will work, then fit them on the front to gauge how close they are.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Yes, it's more "wow factor" than anything. I want to run in the Optima Series and I want to run some SCCA at some local tracks within a few hours, maybe even a GoodGuys event sometime. But, that will be so limited that I don't feel I should try and build a competitive car for a set of rules I may or may not run. I want this car to be somewhat comfortable, not beating me to pieces at every bump, and I can drive it a few hours if I have the nerve to do it. Cruising around and showing it off are really the main purpose. It won't be competitive against anything and it's meant to be fun to finish and just drive around. That is why I say 95% street.

If you are seriously considering running Optima Series, SCCA, etc. then I would advise that you at least be aware of the rule package that you might be subject too. I understand that you don’t want to add a huge cost to the build for something that may or may not ever happen. I would just hate for you to build the car, then have the chance to run one of the events/series you desire only to have to make costly changes to the vehicle to be allowed/legal/etc. At least know what the rules are and then determine if that fits into your build/budget before making what could be costly mistakes.
    Somewhat comfortable is a relative term, so I will leave that up to your decisions and choices as to what exactly that is or is not!

Right now I have nothing. No wheels, no tires. I have a set of 4-lug Cobra wheels that are up for sale. The choice is based off what I have seen others running with a similar set-up (I'm not smart enough to brave a new path in this area), and I do have a budget in mind. The Rovos wheels are ~$270 / wheel which is affordable to me. I'm negotiable to a point, but realistic in that I can't afford something 3-piece forged most likely and it needs to be replaceable without selling a kidney. The 315 isn't set in stone, but I have in mind that I want have a square setup for rotational purposes. I'm not opposed to a staggered setup either.

I understand the budget constraints and that is why I suggest Forgestar wheels. They are a bit more expensive than your current $270, but depending on style, size, and color options they can be purchased from several vendors in the @ $350/wheel range. So definitely more money, but not $1K/wheel kind of money. They may also allow you to get a better fit to your setup than any off the shelf wheels without option offset can too. Nothing wrong with the 315 size, they are affordable and work just fine. Although again depending on your wheel size, etc. You might want to at least look at larger sizes to really fill up the wheel wells.

I know your pain. I think I've finally figured out how to fix mine to my liking.

I have had the front fenders for probably 15 years now. They are actually the original fenders off Mike Maiers C Prepared Yellow Mustang when he converted it to the Aero body style. Surprising still how much work they will need to look “right” to me. Due to the same budget issues you have is the reason for my own fabrication of rear flares.

Cost is driving the bus right now, and the ability to rotate the wheels (that may be silly considering the car). I'm still trying to figure it out.

If you can work a combination that allows wheel/tire rotations that is great, especially for a street car. Not sure that will work considering your desires for the large wheel/tire combo and the stock style front suspension. I am not saying it’s impossible, but you definitely have some work ahead to sort it all out.

I put the front suspension off my wrecked '92 notch on this car (k-member, LCA, springs, struts). The spindles, brakes, and 5-lug hubs are the new pieces in the puzzle, but added for bigger brakes than the Fox pieces and 5-lug wheels. I would like to stay with the Fox LCA for now just to get the car up and running. I'm not opposed to changing eventually, but continually tearing the car down for more parts is starting to put a strain on me. I did have a 9" Cobra R type wheel on the '92 previously (the '80 had the steel OEM wheels until I tore it down). That is why I thought a 10.5 would be able to fit now.

I completely understand your situation and I struggle with the same on my multiple projects at this point. I still believe a pair of SN95 front control arms may be a better option and ultimately make some of your plans work out better, but . . . I get it. I would recommend crunching some numbers and at least looking at the option of the control arm swap. If you can find some at a local junk yard in decent shape you can often pick them up for $100-$150 for the pair. IF you have to put ball joints in them, then order a pair from Maximum Motorsports at <$60 each, so for around $250 you might be able to save some $$ on wheel/tire combo depending on how everything sorts out.

Yes, a mistake. I was doing a lot of other stuff while I was measuring (filming for YouTube and answering DMs). I put the line in the wrong place, and of course with pen you can't erase it.

Again, I completely understand and wasn’t calling you out, just wanted to make sure of the measurements.

I am still figuring it out. I started thinking about the 18" w/ 315 tire so long ago, I'm probably being bullheaded about it. I'll do what makes it work in the long-term. I put up a post on Instagram earlier today tagging a lot of wheel and tire companies looking for suggestions from their catalog. I added the pictures that I posted here, so they can see the same info (and mistakes!) that you did. Someone may have something they want to see on the car, and I'll go from there. I may just order a set for the rear at first that will work, then fit them on the front to gauge how close they are.

I am not running the same combo as you are, but I might have time this weekend to do a test fit on my Road Racer to show the fitment of a 17X10.5 (27mm offset) fits up front with the flares, etc. That may at least save you some time and $$. I will see what I can do, the wife and kids are out of town this weekend, so I just might be able to get it done.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

If you are seriously considering running Optima Series, SCCA, etc. then I would advise that you at least be aware of the rule package that you might be subject to.

I've read the Optima 2018 rules. Haven't gotten to the SCCA rules yet. On my to do list. I need some tow points, plus all the personal safety gear for Optima. SCCA who knows. Agreed on the "read the rules first" piece. I probably won't run it this year due to the extra costs for gear.

I understand the budget constraints and that is why I suggest Forgestar wheels. They are a bit more expensive than your current $270, but depending on style, size, and color options they can be purchased from several vendors in the @ $350/wheel range.

I put some feelers out today. I'll keep looking. They are included in the brands I messaged.

I have had the front fenders for probably 15 years now. They are actually the original fenders off Mike Maiers C Prepared Yellow Mustang when he converted it to the Aero body style. Surprising still how much work they will need to look “right” to me.

If they fit like my "new" ones do, I'm not surprised at all. I'll have mine wrapped up soon enough to my liking and be on to the next piece of the puzzle.

If you can work a combination that allows wheel/tire rotations that is great, especially for a street car. Not sure that will work considering your desires for the large wheel/tire combo and the stock style front suspension. I am not saying it’s impossible, but you definitely have some work ahead to sort it all out. I completely understand your situation and I struggle with the same on my multiple projects at this point. I still believe a pair of SN95 front control arms may be a better option and ultimately make some of your plans work out better, but . . . I get it. I would recommend crunching some numbers and at least looking at the option of the control arm swap.

The dilemma I have with this is the "crunch the numbers". I dont know where to start to prove they are a better choice long-term, or that I can work with I have right now in the Fox LCA and replace them later with over the Winter with SN95 pieces. I don't want to buy things twice necessarily, but don't want to keep refining a build to the point of never finishing it either. I will most likely just show and drive the car to town and back this year and not race it anywhere. There would be so much to do to make it capable and legal that I may never get there.

I am not running the same combo as you are, but I might have time this weekend to do a test fit on my Road Racer to show the fitment of a 17X10.5 (27mm offset) fits up front with the flares, etc. That may at least save you some time and $$.

Thanks in advance if you can get to it. It would be nice to see what it does look like.