Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-N-Y View Post
    Thanks man
    Wheels should look good. The body widening tricks Autokraft did back in the late 80’s and into the 90’s would be just the ticket for getting those to fit.

Or

Have you thought about narrowing the 8.8 and doing the inner wheel well mods guys have started doing to fit the 315/35/17’s under foxes without tubs?
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Wheels should look good. The body widening tricks Autokraft did back in the late 80’s and into the 90’s would be just the ticket for getting those to fit.

Or

Have you thought about narrowing the 8.8 and doing the inner wheel well mods guys have started doing to fit the 315/35/17’s under foxes without tubs?
    Not sure what the body widening thing from AutoKraft is lol. I ran the same size wheel and tire in the rear with my bullitts and had no issues. These seem to have a slight more negative offset than those. Or maybe the tires run a little wider.

Found a good deal on a set of cobra calipers from the All Ford Swap Meet here in Columbus a couple weeks ago. Cleaned them up good and painted them with VHT Burnt Copper enamel And VHT clear.

Finally have something in the bay lol. Sn95 booster, master and proportioning valve. Ran all my brake lines through the trans tunnel. Motor will be going in within a few days

Looks awesome! Did you have to slot the firewall holes to mount the booster?
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Finally have something in the bay lol. Sn95 booster, master and proportioning valve. Ran all my brake lines through the trans tunnel. Motor will be going in within a few days.
    Looks good!

Are you using an adjustable Proportioning Valve to balance the brakes?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by banzaibullitt View Post
    Looks awesome! Did you have to slot the firewall holes to mount the booster?
    Yes just a little. Also had to beat the crap out of the strut tower. Just barely fits now.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Looks good!

Are you using an adjustable Proportioning Valve to balance the brakes?
    I've been told that it isn't needed and also have been told that it is lol. So I'm going without an adjustable one until I see for myself.

Sweet Toby... uhhh... I mean Tony! LOL

But I can't help but wonder how the Cobra R's would look with the centers painted in the same VHT Cast Iron as the intake. Any plans to paint them or just going to leave them be for now?

OOOoooooh! Shiney!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I've been told that it isn't needed and also have been told that it is lol. So I'm going without an adjustable one until I see for myself.

Its Needed to properly adjust and balance the brake bias. I would recommend gutting the Prop Valve and installing one now rather than after you start bleeding brakes. I would hate to mess up the pretty paint.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Its Needed to properly adjust and balance the brake bias. I would recommend gutting the Prop Valve and installing one now rather than after you start bleeding brakes. I would hate to mess up the pretty paint.
    If he's using disc I the rear there should be no need for an adjustable prop valve. It's already set up for the right balance. Especially if it's from the cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTwilight View Post
    Sweet Toby... uhhh... I mean Tony! LOL

But I can't help but wonder how the Cobra R's would look with the centers painted in the same VHT Cast Iron as the intake. Any plans to paint them or just going to leave them be for now?
    Haha, you here too?? I have thought about doing that but I'll know how I feel once they're mounted up.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    If he's using disc I the rear there should be no need for an adjustable prop valve. It's already set up for the right balance. Especially if it's from the cobra.
    I'll cross that bridge when I get everything installed but I feel pretty confident my setup will work fine.

Pretty eventful day yesterday trying to get this motor in..after putting the motor mounts in on the wrong sides and wondering why the motor was about 2" too far forward lol. Finally got that all sorted out and she's sitting pretty in there.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    That's not entirely correct. The Proportioning Valve is tuned to the specific vehicle including vehicle weight, front and rear caliper sizes, etc. Once you start changing things such as installing said brakes into a different vehicle with different weight balance, center of gravity, etc. that can all affect the brake balance. Therefore it is always best to install an adjustable proportioning valve so you can tune the proper balance for the vehicle as needed.

Will the brakes function, sure . . . But there's no guarantee that the brakes will be tuned and adjusted properly for the best balance on said vehicle using the proportioning valve from the donor. Same is true even if using an original proportioning valve from the original vehicle.

Obviously the owner can choose or choose not to install an adjustable valve, but I would highly recommend it. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

That's not entirely correct. The Proportioning Valve is tuned to the specific vehicle including vehicle weight, front and rear caliper sizes, etc. Once you start changing things such as installing said brakes into a different vehicle with different weight balance, center of gravity, etc. that can all affect the brake balance. Therefore it is always best to install an adjustable proportioning valve so you can tune the proper balance for the vehicle as needed.

Will the brakes function, sure . . . But there's no guarantee that the brakes will be tuned and adjusted properly for the best balance on said vehicle using the proportioning valve from the donor. Same is true even if using an original proportioning valve from the original vehicle.

Obviously the owner can choose or choose not to install an adjustable valve, but I would highly recommend it. Best of Luck!
    Great info man and I definitely appreciate this! I'll see how the braking feels when everything is installed. As of now I only know from sn95's running cobra brakes up front with just the stock proportioning valve and never seemed to be an issue but I get what you're saying.

Finally got around to painting the rear calipers. Also had an old set of koni adjustables sitting around that worked great but looked rough. So I painted them. A tad ricey maybe but they look great lol

Got the front suspension together and threw the wheels on it. Feels so good to finally have it sitting on the ground lol. After 7 months!

Looks nice! I like the caliper and struts painted!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Haven't updated in months. fast forward here a little. Motor's in, dash all refinished and black carpet from LMR in. Finished all of the exterior trim and moldings as well.

Looks Great! Congrats!

Wish I were making the same type of progress.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Found a billet wheel on Craigslist for $60...couldn't pass it up. I knew when I seen it that I was going to refinish it.

A couple of exterior shots for ya

Looks Great! Congrats!

Wish I were making the same type of progress.
    Thank You!

Haha, whoa! Heck of an update post. Great job. Please post more pics, inside and out. What are you doing for seats?

Edit: I couldn't visualize that steering wheel looking good with any amount of work...until I scrolled down. Wow.
    Last edited by jlehma13; 12-16-2018 at 05:50 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Your engine and engine compartment look very clean. You did a great job of hiding the wiring.

I too wish I was making the same progress as you.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    Haha, whoa! Heck of an update post. Great job. Please post more pics, inside and out. What are you doing for seats?

Edit: I couldn't visualize that steering wheel looking good with any amount of work...until I scrolled down. Wow.
    Yea I raised a few eyebrows when I showed some people the wheel lol. I like how it looks in the interior. Not quite sure what I'm doing for seats quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cougman67 View Post
    Your engine and engine compartment look very clean. You did a great job of hiding the wiring.

I too wish I was making the same progress as you.

Patrick
    Appreciate it man.

Wow! Looks great!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Supporter

OMG!

That is one SEXY Fox!

T-O-N-Y, YOU ARE THE MAN!
    '85 GT