Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    The changes look great so far! I like a nice interior! I was wondering why you got nice new to you four lug wheels and then are changing to five lug? Are they universal?

For the fish eyes, I have been lucky and not had really any issues with that. Probably every other issue though!

I am sure you know already based on the work you have done but ensure you are doing the proper degreasing and cleaning on the substrate and gun. If those patch panels were off the shelf, they probably have a bit of machine oil/preservative from the forming and factory. Likely is that it is coming through the gun from the compressor. Do you have a dryer in line? Maybe need to upgrade or replace. At least the spots you showed are not too obvious locations. Hopefully you can figure it out before you do the rest.
    Bought the wheels because at the time I wasn't plan on doing much to the car but drive it. Wanted to go a little further with it and the lack of wheel choices suck lol. But yea man I've wax and greased removed everything so many times. Even wet sanded the clear with 600, wax and greased a few more times and recleared with 3 more coats. I have 2 water traps and a filter regulator as well as 2 ball filters in the line. Before I do the exterior I'd like to figure it out because like you said, they're not very noticeable where they are but they would suck to have them on the hood or something

What's the dimensions on those four lugs you were running?

Quote Originally Posted by Sega2010 View Post
    What's the dimensions on those four lugs you were running?
    17x9

I had bullitts on it for a couple weeks before I tore it down. 18x9/10

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-N-Y View Post
    Bought the wheels because at the time I wasn't plan on doing much to the car but drive it. Wanted to go a little further with it and the lack of wheel choices suck lol. But yea man I've wax and greased removed everything so many times. Even wet sanded the clear with 600, wax and greased a few more times and recleared with 3 more coats. I have 2 water traps and a filter regulator as well as 2 ball filters in the line. Before I do the exterior I'd like to figure it out because like you said, they're not very noticeable where they are but they would suck to have them on the hood or something
    In my experience, I use wax and grease remover at the beginning of the project right before I begin sanding and bodywork. This removes any wax,grease, residue from the body that might have come from detailing over the years.

I personally like to use nitrile gloves when doing body work to prevent grease from my hands getting on the car. I know that can be difficult, but I try. Once I start spraying any type of sealer/base coat/clear I don't use wax and grease remover anymore. I only use a final wipe product. Personally I like House of Kolors KC20 Post sanding cleaner. It's a water based product that works very well and I have had no issues with it over the years.

Bottom line I believe your issue is that you should have two cleaners a Pre sanding Wax and Grease Remover and then a Post Sanding Final Cleaner. Using the Wax and Grease remover in between base and clear is leaving a petroleum residue which is causing the fisheyes. Not as bad as say WD40 or a silicone residue, but still. Hope that helps and Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Looking great man! You won't get any grief in here unless you swap it out to an Aero look or part out a car that is worthy of saving...which you are doing nicely! Resto-mods have just as much a place as unrestored/original cars. Get'er done and take it to Foxtoberfest in Charlotte this year...it will be in good company.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

To comment on the fisheyes, first, where are you shooting the car?

it seems to me you’re doing the right things to make it clean enough to not have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    In my experience, I use wax and grease remover at the beginning of the project right before I begin sanding and bodywork. This removes any wax,grease, residue from the body that might have come from detailing over the years.

I personally like to use nitrile gloves when doing body work to prevent grease from my hands getting on the car. I know that can be difficult, but I try. Once I start spraying any type of sealer/base coat/clear I don't use wax and grease remover anymore. I only use a final wipe product. Personally I like House of Kolors KC20 Post sanding cleaner. It's a water based product that works very well and I have had no issues with it over the years.

Bottom line I believe your issue is that you should have two cleaners a Pre sanding Wax and Grease Remover and then a Post Sanding Final Cleaner. Using the Wax and Grease remover in between base and clear is leaving a petroleum residue which is causing the fisheyes. Not as bad as say WD40 or a silicone residue, but still. Hope that helps and Good Luck!
    Hmmm, never thought of wax and grease remover as something that would leave an oily substance. But I will keep that in nd for sure man thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Looking great man! You won't get any grief in here unless you swap it out to an Aero look or part out a car that is worthy of saving...which you are doing nicely! Resto-mods have just as much a place as unrestored/original cars. Get'er done and take it to Foxtoberfest in Charlotte this year...it will be in good company.
    Lol, cool. Thanks man and I plan to be at Mustang week but not sure about foxtoberfest. Although it would be awesome. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    To comment on the fisheyes, first, where are you shooting the car?

it seems to me you’re doing the right things to make it clean enough to not have that problem.
    Painting it in my garage lol. Not the best environment I'm sure. But it's the only place I can do it. Hey I got you message and I appreciate that man.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-N-Y View Post
    17x9

I had bullitts on it for a couple weeks before I tore it down. 18x9/10

What tire size did you have on the four bolts? Those bullits look awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sega2010 View Post
    What tire size did you have on the four bolts? Those bullits look awesome though.
    They were 17x9 with 235/35/17 front and 275/40 rear.

Got the motor tore down just to clean it up and refinish everything. Also putting all new gaskets, timing chain, valve seals, and oil pump in it. Finally got the Kmember back in after spending hours cleaning and por15 lol. PITA!

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Very Impressive work!

I doubt you will get any flak from Members here. We all want to see as many Four Eyes running,driving, and on the roads as possible. All of your modifications so far are no different than I myself and many others have made to our own Four Eyes.

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming we love that here at FEP! Oh and Welcome to FEP!
    Agree, love everything about it, especially cleaned up eng comp sheet metal.
    Very sharp............
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Got the head gaskets, timing chain, oil pump, timing cover gasket and water pump gasket all done last night. Shimmed and torqued to spec the Proform roller rockers. Keeping the heads stock and stock cam though. Not building a race car lol. Just preventative maintenance.

Couldn't tell you what name brand these headers are but they're a tad fatter than the stock ones. The inlets have wider openings...so I'm just going to run em cleaned up, flame proof paint from VHT and baked them. SVE valve covers from LMR

Painted the upper intake, VHT cast iron with VHT clear. Not the smoothest mold but it's good enough for me.

Can't wait to get rid of the ugly ass grey and brown distributor with bright yellow wires and put this msd with black ford racing wires on.

I'm cleaning up and prepping the engine tonight. I'll get it painted Saturday so I'll have more updates this weekend.

Gonna look killer....can't wait to see that engine bay completed. And the whole car for that matter.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Gonna look killer....can't wait to see that engine bay completed. And the whole car for that matter.
    Thanks broseph

These crappy cell phone pics do no justice, came out really good. VHT flame proof primer, VHT cast iron and VHT clear,

Strong work! I had a full restoration 69 Chevelle that I painted, cover in fish eyes as my air compressor was beginning to go bad. I ended up having to Sand down the entire car and repaint its again several days later with multiple in-line filters for water and oil and ppg fish eye additive. The car ended up being perfect and extremely straight because of how many times it was sanded down :-). I was happy in the end but it was a doubling of effort. Where in Ohio are you?
    Last edited by foot2floor; 02-12-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    Strong work! I had a full restoration 69 Chevelle that I painted, cover in fish eyes as my air compressor was beginning to go bad. I ended up having to Sand down the entire car and repaint its again several days later with multiple in-line filters for water and oil and ppg fish eye additive. The car ended up being perfect and extremely straight because of how many times it was sanded down :-). I was happy in the end but it was a doubling of effort. Where in Ohio are you?
    I've thought about using a fish eye remover myself. I hear good and bad about it though. I'm in Columbus

Looking good Tony! I have been wanting to bring my build thread here too.

Do it...a complete start to finish thread lol. You'd have to devote an afternoon I'm sure but it'd be epic!

Small update. Oredered some deep dish anthracite cobra r's. 18x9 18x10 with Pirelli P Zero 255/35 and 285/35 tires. Also got some sve subframe connectors and a bbk strut tower brace

Looks like you will have to roll the wheel lips

FEP Member

I always seem to get a big old nasty bug splatter or a bird bomb in my line of sight. Not sure I could eliminate washer/wipers. As far as heat goes. Yeah maybe, but it can be cold in the early mornings and defrost is always nice if I get caught in rain or one of those dense fog situations. The best time of year isn’t always going to be nice. Even if it starts out that way. We all know the weather man is only right maybe half the time. Lol

But your work sure does look clean. A very nice job. I’ll be busy soon enough on a project of my own.
    01 F250 Lariat SC 4x4 and it's paid for. Still loving the V10

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Lips are already rolled but may need to be a tad more aggressive with the fender roller no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by boss82gt View Post
    I always seem to get a big old nasty bug splatter or a bird bomb in my line of sight. Not sure I could eliminate washer/wipers. As far as heat goes. Yeah maybe, but it can be cold in the early mornings and defrost is always nice if I get caught in rain or one of those dense fog situations. The best time of year isn’t always going to be nice. Even if it starts out that way. We all know the weather man is only right maybe half the time. Lol

But your work sure does look clean. A very nice job. I’ll be busy soon enough on a project of my own.
    Thanks man, yea I've already taken all of that into consideration and my plan is to just use this as a weekend cruiser...on nice days. But yea there will be struggles that pop up here and there I'm sure lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Lips are already rolled but may need to be a tad more aggressive with the fender roller no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by boss82gt View Post

Thanks man, yea I've already taken all of that into consideration and my plan is to just use this as a weekend cruiser...on nice days. But yea there will be struggles that pop up here and there I'm sure lol.

Cleaned up and painted the tail light housings..87+ lenses. Just a personal preference. Only exterior change I plan to make body wise from the original four eye fox other than the cowl hood

Sweet ride. Those wheels are going to look great!

Quote Originally Posted by BrentX1 View Post
    Sweet ride. Those wheels are going to look great!
    Thanks man

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast