Close

Default Chassis dimensions?

Hi all, I've been looking all over for chassis/frame dimensions for my 85 gt. I have looked on the site here but couldn't find anything. I've seen a few other years but no evidence of those being the same as the 85 year. I have Google searched with no luck. If anyone has or knows were I can find them it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance

Did you try a Ford shop manual. The chassis section should have what you need. The chassis on these cars remained the same tru thru the years to my knowledge. The fender and quarter wheel openings got larger from 91 and up supposedly but that should be it.

Many of the overall dimensions are the same from 79-93 and even including some for the 94/95 cars. The front end of the chassis saw probably the most changes over the years.

The 79/80 K member is unique to those two year models. The 81-87 K members are all very similar, although there are differences there too. The Mathis Handbook has some decent information on the K members.

The was a geometry change for the 88 year model and again in 1990 to improve the front suspension handling, etc. The 90-93 strut towers are definitely different than the 79-88 models.

Here are some pictures that can help, but obviously the best option is to either get the correct year model shop manuals or get a print out from a local body shop for your specific model. That will most likely have the most accurate information for your vehicle and limit the possibilities.

Name:  Mustang Chassis Dimensions79.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  272.3 KB

Name:  Mustang Chassis Dimensions79a.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  276.1 KB

Name:  Mustang Chassis Dimensions.JPG
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  Mustang Chassis Dimensions2.JPG
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  Mustang Chassis Dimensions3.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  112.7 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the replies and the pictures, they will come in handy. I may give a call to a shop and see what they say. Thanks again, much appreciated.