Close

New User

Default C5 transmission with a C4 torque converter conversion

I'm in the process of changing out the inline 6 for a 302 in my 83 Zephyr. The Zephyr had the C5 and the donor car has C4 with the 302 bellhousing I switched the bell housing and torque converter from the C4 over to the C5. My question is do I need to switch the valve body from the C4 over to the C5. Or can I get by leaving it be.

Also here is a pic of my project
    Name:  zephyr.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  87.1 KB

I can't say with a buncha knowledge, but I would say probably yes the valve body should also be changed, since part of what makes a C5 a C5 is a different valve body to go with it's lock up torque convertor... and maybe the C4's different filter and pan too, so that the pickup never ever has a chance to suck air instead of transmission fluid. On the plus side, separation of the valve body gives opportunity to add a shift kit! Cool Zephyr BTW
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 01-23-2018 at 02:13 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

New User

Thanks for the info. I talked to the local ford mechanic a while ago and he said that he switched a few C5 transmissions into c4 bellhousings and torque converters without changing valve bodys and had no troubles. But I might follow your advice and change it out anyway on my workbench and save myself some future problems.