Close

Thread: New 81 Coupe

FEP Senior Member

Default New 81 Coupe

I´m sick... I know... but couldn't let this one pass...

Just bought a 1981 Mustang Coupe (hardtop in Mexico) to complete my Fox Body collection, since I already had the 81 hatch and 83 vert... why not?

This car belonged to a collector who has two other Fox Bodies, and he decided to let it go to make room in his garage for a 65 Fastback his about to complete restoring. He rarely drives his car but keeps them in great condition.

Car is a Mexican 1981 coupe hardtop (base trim, no power windows or locks) with only 20k Kilometers, second owner since the late 80s, original paint, all original engine (5.0 V. Interior has been re-done a long time ago with the upholstery from a Grand Marquis / LTD Crown Vic (seats and headliner) which look very good.

It only needs some minor detailing in the black molding section of both bumper covers and a new hood emblem. It drives like a brand new 81 Mustang, very comfy. Color is 3L Midnight Blue Metallic with medium blue interior, I love both interior and exterior colors.

It took some "arm twisting" to convince the seller to let it go (he genuinely loves his cars and is an elder very gentle person) but I promised him to become a great guardian of the car and to continue preserving it.

Here are some pics of this beauty:
    Name:  IMG_1352.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  153.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1353.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  99.7 KBName:  IMG_1355.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  140.8 KB

Would you be interested in helping me with figuring out VINs for these Mexican-built Foxes? The VIN decoder that I wrote only works for US- and Canadian-built Foxes. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Nice looking car, I dig it.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Would you be interested in helping me with figuring out VINs for these Mexican-built Foxes? The VIN decoder that I wrote only works for US- and Canadian-built Foxes. Thanks.
    I would love to help you out, but I am not sure the "VINs" on these cars were as complete as in the US built cars. From what I know Ford changed to same VIN configuration of US built cars somewhere in the middle of 1982.

Both of my cars have a "short" serial number:
    My 81 Fastback is AF02XT - #####
    This new hardtop is AF01YJ - #####

Let me try and see if some of the other members of my local club would be willing to share with me their "VIN" numbers for all 1981 cars (mine is the only fastback but there are other 4 hardtops from the same year). It would be interesting to see if the 2XT or 1YJ mean something. My guess would be that 01 is hardtop and 02 is fastback.

FEP Supporter

Cool looking car and a nice, well taken care of example by the looks of it! Nice work convincing the collector to let go and pass it along into yours! What is the paint colour and was that a regular production colour for 1981?

I know really nothing in regards to the differences the Mexican Mustangs had other than the obvious typical "Capri" but the 5.0 wasn't available in the 81 Canadian and US cars. Were they in the Mexican ones only then?

That and I do not ever recall seeing wooden, burled auto shifter handle before

I think you need to show more pictures.

Wow! That’s a beautiful coupe. Nice find.

How’s your green mustang coming along? that’s such a nice looking car.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Cool looking car and a nice, well taken care of example by the looks of it! Nice work convincing the collector to let go and pass it along into yours! What is the paint colour and was that a regular production colour for 1981?

I know really nothing in regards to the differences the Mexican Mustangs had other than the obvious typical "Capri" but the 5.0 wasn't available in the 81 Canadian and US cars. Were they in the Mexican ones only then?

That and I do not ever recall seeing wooden, burled auto shifter handle before

I think you need to show more pictures.
    I promise to take better pics! The color is called Midnight Blue and was available for the 81 and 82 model years in Mexico, but I am not sure it is the same "3L" color code as in the US built cars.

All Mustangs built in Mexico (from 65 til 84) came with a V8 engine, even all Mustang IIs from 74 til 78, Mustang II and Fox Bodies they all had basically the same "decaffeinated" 302 cc engine with minor changes with around 150 hp stock (2V carburetor)

The faux wood shifter handle is not original to the car, but it does look like an original Ford shifter handle.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Wow! That’s a beautiful coupe. Nice find.

How’s your green mustang coming along? that’s such a nice looking car.

The green car is "almost" done save for some minor details. I've been driving it on weekends and its a blast to drive!

Name:  IMG_1251.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  97.9 KB

Man that’s pretty!

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Man that’s pretty!
    Thanks a lot!

FEP Senior Member

Here are a couple more pics of the blue hardtop coupe after detailing it. I was amazed at how good the condition of the body is, all panels straight, not a door ding. Only both bumper covers need a refresh but aside from that its in great shape.

Tomorrow it has to undergo the evaluation of classic car / originality in order for it to get the classic car license plates

Name:  IMG_1381.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  128.8 KB

Name:  A6B2AAE9-0E76-4F9E-BAE3-C88892394E77.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  148.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1383.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  126.5 KB
    Last edited by blueandsilver; 01-29-2018 at 08:25 PM.

FEP Senior Member

The car is back from the shop, it got a complete service with engine oil, spark plugs, carburetor tuneup, etc.

I got both bumper covers repainted since those were the only parts that had many details and the paint looked very old. They were able to fix the wave in the right section of the rear bumper.

This car drives fantastically well, its very soft and comfortable, you can barely listen the engine running. It totally fits its coupe personality, quite a change from my fastback and the green convertible which are both more sporty and have an aggressive sound.

Name:  IMG_1402.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  147.1 KB
    Name:  c14445cb-f174-4983-86b9-593f5636614b.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  138.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1403.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  146.5 KB

Sharp!!!!!!!

Super nice.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

FEP Senior Member

Thanks a lot

Man, that is a very good looking car...

The pics with the tile floor...your garage? Very nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by endub View Post
    The pics with the tile floor...your garage? Very nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Thanks! It is my garage! easy to clean but can get slippery...