Close

Default Holley Systemax 2 intake

I will be running a Holley Systemax 2 and trick flow twisted wedge heads, trying to figure out if i need to run a spacer to clear valve covers. If so what size spacer 3/8” or 1”. Not gonna run tall valve covers, just ones that clear 1.6 roller rockers, either ford racing or trick flow. I don’t have stock valve covers, car came with ford racing valve covers. I have a cowl hood so hood clearance isn’t an issue. Who is running this set up Or has done it and knows what needs to happen.

I installed a Systemax onto a 302 running AFR 165's and stock valve covers with no spacer.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Yea the stock valve covers supposedly clear and the battle can be altered in the valve cover to clear roller rockers, i don’t have stock valve covers, and would like to replace the valve covers with a new set. Thinking the trick flow valve covers, but not sure if the intake will clear then or what size spacer i would need to clear.

Also with the short runner of a systemax running a spacer may be a good idea anyway to put a little low and midrange in it. With a stock rev limiter the cam I’m running and the heads it will potentially put my shift point right on the 6250 stock rev limiter. I am thinking about raising the stock rev limiter and getting a full msd set up so i can control the rev limiter through it to cut spark instead of the stock on cutting fuel.

The 1" spacer would give you more clearance but you can probably get away with 3/8" and it wont add too much length to the runners. I dont think you'll notice much of a difference either way, its more pronounced when you go from the long runner intake to a box intake which has super short runners. The thin spacer is really more of an insulator than anything which is also a good thing. I would think that the phenolic material is better than the plastic or nylon ones as far as insulative properties. I have some stock covers for the price of shipping if you decide to go that route. Good Luck!

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999