Close

Default 1980 4/Cy Auto 66K miles

I could not pass on this deal but my intention is to wrench on a t-top. It has collected a couple "love taps" though the years. Solid California car with no rust. 0 performance mods and unmolested. No mechanical issues. Thoughts on price range would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and expertise....

Name:  DSC_5900.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  62.3 KBName:  DSC_5899.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  73.9 KBName:  DSC_5896.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  64.5 KBName:  DSC_5892.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  105.4 KBName:  DSC_5894.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  113.5 KB
    Last edited by 4EyedCaliDream; 01-21-2018 at 05:12 PM.

More Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Engine Bay:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thank thin would look great with some TRX's on it.
    Current Cars:
    83 GT Turbo All org w/ org paint 127k miles
    84 GT350 5.0 Period correct changes 5spd T Top 44k org miles
    83 LTD Wagon I6 65k miles
    2010 Mercury Milan AWD
    2019 Flex SEL

Past Cars: 79 Pace Car 5.0 Auto, 80 I6 Coupe, 79 I6 Coupe, 81 4cyl Coupe, 92GT, 83 Capri RS Turbo, 82GT TTop, 83 GT 5.0, 84 GT350 5.0 Auto, 86 ASC Capri coupe #1, 78 5.0 Granada Coupe, 03 MACH 1 2013 Flex Limited

I would say low end 1500 max 2500, but that's just me
    Current Cars:
    83 GT Turbo All org w/ org paint 127k miles
    84 GT350 5.0 Period correct changes 5spd T Top 44k org miles
    83 LTD Wagon I6 65k miles
    2010 Mercury Milan AWD
    2019 Flex SEL

Past Cars: 79 Pace Car 5.0 Auto, 80 I6 Coupe, 79 I6 Coupe, 81 4cyl Coupe, 92GT, 83 Capri RS Turbo, 82GT TTop, 83 GT 5.0, 84 GT350 5.0 Auto, 86 ASC Capri coupe #1, 78 5.0 Granada Coupe, 03 MACH 1 2013 Flex Limited

Clean and honest-looking VERY low option car. I'm not the best at estimating value, but maybe $1500-$3000 would be reasonable. A detailing (including underhood), new taillight, and some repro TRX's would make the car look very good.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

((Update))

Passenger side tail has been fixed.

I would like to thank everyone that has submitted a reply.

This car has been very well documented. The person that first bought the car was an owner of a Ford dealership here in California who then sold it to a middle aged woman who kept it until she passed.

I have included a picture of to documentation for the car....

Name:  edit.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  96.0 KB

Most people here seem to be purest. I am not the sort. But the originality of this 38 year old vehicle is preventing me to do so....

FEP Power Member

The value is kind of limited due to the 4cyl. And automatic. In my opinion, the current value is a big piece of what the future value should be. It don’t see this going up much anytime soon. I think it may be worth up to $5000 with some clean up. Today’s purchase price, max about $3000 to someone interested in it. Less for those with no interest in a 4 cylinder. Nice car.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I would like to see full size images of the un-redacted build sheet and owner card. Would also like to see the door tag and buck tag. I collect, database, and decode them all. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

A couple more thoughts:

There aren't very many original unrestored early Four Eyes which are in good condition, despite the large production numbers. About the only ones seen are Pace Cars. After all, early Four Eyes are approaching 40 years old (!!). Newer unrestored Four Eyes are more common, but still relatively uncommon as compared to Aero Nose cars. Even more uncommon are non-Pace-Car early restored Four Eyes (like mine).

I will admit I am biased, but I like seeing the more common models. But, as Kevin has pointed out, most people don't prefer them, which limits this car's value and appeal. So we have the problem I think you have identified: This car likely would take little work to make it at least worthy for the local cruise-in; that is what I would do with it. But is that what you want to do? Is this car a better canvas for some minor (or even major) upgrades?
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I must admit, even in its current state, severely under powered to even attempt to get onto the city freeways, it is tons of fun to drive around town locally for the quick errand or shuttle the kids to their after school activities. I get a lot of looks from other people (not sure if it's good or bad) on the road and a few "thumbs up" from fellow mustang-ers. I absolutely love getting in and out of the car and slamming the door for that distinct "thud" you never hear in parking lots and garages like you used to...

If I keep the car, the first to go would be the power plant. Thinking of the 4.6L for the shear cost and mate it with a t-56 with an 8.8 rear end posi. Brakes would be naturally upgraded prior to the car getting back onto the road. The only thing I would change in the interior would be the front seats and add a harness for safety. Ideally have the car setup for road racing/track days. As more time goes by eventually throw a Coyote motor in the bay.... But that's just my dream...
    Last edited by 4EyedCaliDream; 02-07-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Nothing wrong with dreaming, it may come true. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 4EyedCaliDream View Post
    I must admit, even in its current state, severely under powered to even attempt to get onto the city freeways, it is tons of fun to drive around town locally for the quick errand or shuttle the kids to their after school activities. I get a lot of looks from other people (not sure if it's good or bad) on the road and a few "thumbs up" from fellow mustang-ers. I absolutely love getting in and out of the car and slamming the door for that distinct "thud" you never hear in parking lots and garages like you used to...

If I keep the car, the first to go would be the power plant. Thinking of the 4.6L for the shear cost and mate it with a t-56 with an 8.8 rear end posi. Brakes would be naturally upgraded prior to the car getting back onto the road. The only thing I would change in the interior would be the front seats and add a harness for safety. Ideally have the car setup for road racing/track days. As more time goes by eventually throw a Coyote motor in the bay.... But that's just my dream...
    Leave it stock. Way more uncommon to see an original car like that than one someone has hot rodded. If you want a mustang with more power better seats etc just buy a newer gt. By the time you spend all the money on the upgrades to the old one you could buy a new edge GT. And have 2 cars to boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk