Close

Question Anyone familiar with vintage Ford Motorsport red Koni adjustable Struts?

I can't remember how long they've been on the car, but it's been a LONG time - probably 20 years or so. Since I'm in the middle of changing to a cobra steering rack, I figured I'd freshen up some of the suspension while I'm there. I removed the control arms, springs and struts for cleaning and inspection.

The struts appear to be in fine shape - no obvious leaks and, with some cleaning would probably pass for nearly new, but I thought that the struts were supposed to always try to extend - these just stay in whatever position you compress or pull them to. Maybe I'm thinking of the shocks, l just can't remember because it's been so long.

Other than my extended/not extended question, is there anything to check while it's out?

Thanks everyone.

I have red Koni at rear, and they try to extend. I suppose front struts should do the same.

The SVO came with the Red Koni's factory. The rears will work on any 79-04 Mustang however the front struts will only work on a SVO due to the design of the strut to work with the SVO lower control arm. Koni does make a red strut that will work with any mustang control arm and they usually go on sale in May.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

You might try turning the adjuster on top of the strut. Depending on what setting they are on that can affect how they extend.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

I have some vintage adjustable SPA1 Koni shocks. They had been on my 82 since the 90's. When I did some upgrades, I took them off and put them onto another car.

I had similar observations in that they looked completely fine externally but none really had good bounce back. I have installed them and not noticed any driveability issues for the small amount they have been driven on.

I repurposed these ones again as they fit the earlier spindles. I did more research on them and these are actually a drag shock. Not the best for my application but they are working for now.

http://www.koniracing.com/SPA1.cfm

Name:  IMG_7696.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  56.0 KBName:  IMG_7703.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  42.3 KB

Thanks for the reply guys. The end result was that the driver's side strut was indeed bad. Once I removed the passenger side, the strut always tried to extend itself. It pays to keep your receipts because I managed to find mine - 1997 was the purchase date. I contacted Koni for an RMA number and used their "Advanced Replacement" Warranty (basically you pay in advance for 2 new struts and, once they receive the old one's, determine if they are warranted or not). Fortunately, they refunded my Visa and I have 2 new struts on the car.

Sweet!