Close

Default 1985 5.0 distributor vacuum

Where does the vacuum hose attach to on a stock 5.0 carbureted car? The carburetor or one of the ported vacuum switches at the back of the intake? I found a pic of the vacuum hose routing guide for the radiator support and it looks like it goes to one of the switches. If so which one?

It does go to one of the valves. I think the passenger side. Someone should be able to confirm. The valve gives it manifold vacuum when, cold then switches to ported when it warms up.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

How different is the setup for 84? I have a full set of Ford manuals for 84 but I don't have the emissions part of the 85 set

FEP Supporter

It goes to the one without the electrical connection. Vague sounding answer, I know, but accurate as one has wires and the other doesn't.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    It goes to the one without the electrical connection. Vague sounding answer, I know, but accurate as one has wires and the other doesn't.
    Not at all vague. Thats exactly what I needed to know. Now does it matter which port of that switch the hose go to?

FEP Supporter

My underhood decal shows it as going to the middle port with the rearmost going to manifold vac through a vacuum restrictor and the front port going to the carb.

Two ports will flow together when cold. One would be manifold vac and the other the advance can. When it warms up the "common" port will switch to the line going to the carb.
    Last edited by qikgts; 01-20-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    '85 GT

On my 85 GT "M" code with the high altitude compensation system and 5 speed trans the underhood decal shows the middle port goes to the distributor, the bottom nipple goes to the carb (not clear which port) by the bottom front and the top nipple goes to the manifold vacuum fitting. It also shows a vacuum restrictor in that top line between the vacuum switch and the manifold fitting.
    The vacuum/electric switch is gray with a reddish brown top.
    Last edited by JacksAO; 01-24-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks. Can you tell me or show me what the restrictor looks like? Is it one of the blue and black ones or a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Thanks. Can you tell me or show me what the restrictor looks like? Is it one of the blue and black ones or a different one.
    I'll take a look at it tomorrow AM and also check the hole size of the restriction. If I remember correctly it's a standard looking plastic vacuum tube connector with an internal restriction.

Name:  Mustang Restrictor 2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  47.7 KBName:  Mustang Vacuum Restrictor 1.jpg
Size:  90.6 KBName:  Mustang vacuum Restrictor 3.jpg
Size:  56.9 KB

2nd pic shows vacuum restrictor inline next to thermo vac switch with "red" top
    1st pic shows what ends look like
    3nd pic shows restrictor orifice which is aprox .050 dia

Sorry about the pic size, I'm new to posting pictures.
    Last edited by JacksAO; 01-25-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Got it. Pic size is just fine. Thanks

Ya the details showed pretty good.