Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Default Getting keys cut for '82 Zephyr

On Saturday I picked up an '82 Zephyr Z7. It's kind of a long story, but to get to the point, the previous owners didn't have a key for the trunk.

When I got the car home and off the trailer, I discovered that there was a tag on the key ring with the 2 copies of the ignition key. The tag says "RECORD & REMOVE" and then has a stamped code - FA2055. I figured that was probably a key code, so I took it to the local Ford dealer to see if they could reproduce a key based on that code. The guy I talked to there was able to get the key machine to come up with a pattern for that code, but from what I gathered he wasn't sure what key blank it should be. He cut me the key with the round head in the picture; it has an H on one side, and 1 on the other side. It's the right orientation to fit in the trunk lock (it's opposite from the ignition key), but it doesn't work.

Is there any way to know what the right key blank is? Maybe what I've got is the right shape, but too short? I dunno. I was hoping there would be some old salt at the dealer parts dept that would know how to figure this out, but no such luck. Young guy was helpful, but I don't he was even born when this car was sold!

If you can get into the trunk from the backseat area or something to get the lock cylinder out of the car you can take the whole works to a locksmith and they can cut you a key

That will be the plan if I can't get a key from the dealer. I'm just trying to avoid that, as it'll probably be a heckuva lot more expensive than the $4 I paid at the dealer. (I could be wrong on that. My experience with locksmiths has always led me to think it would be a good career when I get out of the Navy, because they charge $$$$ for 30sec of work. )

Imho go to the locksmith, either he can cut key on spot (no guarantee ) or they can replace lock. Call ahead to verify the situation. Had both sides of my t tops locks replaced. Cost approximately 100.00

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Auto parts stores sell complete locksets for fairly cheap. I say break into the trunk any way you can, then just replace the cylinder with a new one.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I had the lock cylinder changed in my Saleen to match the glove box lock and it cost me less than $25.

Default young buck old salt

The blank looks correct. Later years had larger head.
    Dealers have the good metal blanks. Nickle or something.
    Not easy to snap or fatigue like brass or aluminum.
    If machine was set up right, key should work.
    Try rounding/dulling the key cuts, edges, and end point a little.
    New cut keys are too tight. Need wiggle room.
    Some oil in lock and/or on key wont hurt.

Try it in the glove box (opened). Mine works the hatch and glove box.

Worked at a dealer, parts counter (VW) back in the late 70's.
    Had a customer come in needing a key for daughters car.
    At school, 150 miles away. Locked out.
    Told me it better be right. Was leaving immediately.
    Got the code, set up
    Cut 5 keys, same code, for good luck.
    Rounded each key cut a little more than the other.
    From new edge to pretty worn looking.
    Trick was to slightly round out the fresh sharp cuts with a wheel or file.
    He came back 2 weeks later and thanked me. One or more worked.

Or drill, punch it out? New cyl time. Autozone or something.

Also, may want to remove the code from the post.
    Someone could cut some keys and get your car.

The key when cut properly will have the pattern on both sides. Only one is required but only if it's in the lock the cerect way.

spin the key 180 and put it back in the lock with the cut side opposite to where it was. Jiggle the hell out of it and turn slowly.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

FEP Power Member

Looking at your keys in the picture, it would seem they cut the ignition key pattern into the trunk key. That’s not going to work. Not sure about the Zephyr, but the Mustang has a plate accessible from the bottom side, outside. Just drill out the stainless steel rivet and pop the retaing plate out. Then the lock will fall out.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Member

Which key works on the doors?

Trunk/hatch and doors and glovebox should all match.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Trunk/hatch and doors and glovebox should all match.
    Not necessarily. I don't know about the Fairmont/Zephyrs, but some of the early 4 eyes used the same key for the doors and the ignition. The glove box and trunk were a separate key. That is how my 79 PC is. Not sure when Ford went to the doors/hatch/glove box matching key, so . . . .
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The only cars with one key for everything was the SSP cars.
    my 79 TBird has one key for ignition and doors and a second key for glovebox and trunk.

After looking at the key pic again it looks to me like the round key does not have enough cuts it it. There should be some smaller cuts in it that aren't there I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    The only cars with one key for everything was the SSP cars.
    my 79 TBird has one key for ignition and doors and a second key for glovebox and trunk.
    I never said one key. I said one key for the doors and the ignition. A second key for the hatch and glove box.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Auto parts stores sell complete locksets for fairly cheap. I say break into the trunk any way you can, then just replace the cylinder with a new one.
    Hmmm, I'm not seeing any sets online (Rock Auto, Autozone, Advance) - just individual ignition cylinders and the doors. Where did you find them?

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Try rounding/dulling the key cuts, edges, and end point a little. New cut keys are too tight. Need wiggle room. Some oil in lock and/or on key wont hurt.
    I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Looking at your keys in the picture, it would seem they cut the ignition key pattern into the trunk key.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Not sure about the Zephyr, but the Mustang has a plate accessible from the bottom side, outside. Just drill out the stainless steel rivet and pop the retaing plate out. Then the lock will fall out.
    Yeah, I went through that years and years ago on my '89. I haven't looked to see if this one is set up the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    Which key works on the doors?
    Honestly, I haven't even looked. The previous owners had commented that they couldn't get the trunk open, so I assumed (I know, I know) that the doors were the same as the ignition.

Out of curiosity, trolled the internet.
    As usual, found info different that goes against the majority.
    For what its worth:
    1982 Futura and Z7 info if trunk lid or cyl is unique from other years or the 4 door.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...al-interchange

Power trunk latch was optional.
    Installed one on the Mustang's hatch long ago and rarely have used the key.

This would make one think cyl is nothing special. The power latch is a generic item.
    But Zephyr trunk key cyl avail stops at 1981 per Rockauto, to 1982 for Fairmont.
    No data for Futura or Z7 as to if the trunk latch or cyl is unique or why it would be.
    Lots of Ford products interchanged the same lock sets for multiple years. Chrome and black.
    Sometimes new keys do not work because lock is stuck.
    Trunk keys have fewer cuts than door/ign.
    Codes can usually be found stamped on lock cyl. Driver door, trunk, sometimes glove box cyl.
    Older Fords had separate codes for doors and trunk.
    Locksmiths are able to code cut, rekey cyl. stores no.
    Ford keys can be double cut with two diff codes, one on each edge. Only one edge is needed for cyl.

Yep.... at one time my dad had door and ignition to his 83 Ford Clubwagon van and my 1986 GT cut on just square head and one round head key.

lol

Needed trunk key, took car to locksmith, he came outside filed down a new key, $15.
    At the junkyard, trunk was locked, removed backseat, put together all ratchet extensions, removed 2 bolts from latch.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

The extra trunk key I had cut for my Zephyr at Ace hardware was made on a H50 blank.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Looked at the doors, they're the same shape as the trunk, so it looks like I don't have a door key, either.

The car really isn't drive-able at this point, so I'll probably get into the trunk from the back seat and do as RED '78 so I can take the trunk lock cylinder to a locksmith. Or I guess I could take out one of the door locks, since they should be the same as the trunk.

gr79, thanks for commenting about the Fairmont listing on Rock Auto; I had looked at the Zephyr, but hadn't looked at the Fairmont. I can't imagine the '82 Zephyr actually has a different lock cylinder than the '82 Fairmont, so it's probably just a mix-up on Rock Auto. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a mistake like that.

My '78 Fairmont has the same key for doors and ignition. Pretty much standard for trunk cars. Valet-style parking can move the car for you but can't get into the trunk.

Mike

I actually bought a Mustang lockset. No difference. There's no way the '82-83 Zeph and '83 Mont use different cylinders. This isn't the first time I've heard of Rock Auto's cross-referencing being wrong. I'm sure they play it as safe as they can when they can't find complete information.

Also of note, you can use a Mustang notchback's power trunk latch on an F/Z. Bolts right up.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I am an old parts guy and remember these keys well, you do have a little bit of a problem getting a key cut for the trunk with the FA code on the tag. The FA code is for the ignition, the trunk and door codes are an FB code. They came as a different tag and were usually handed out with two tags, an FA and an FB codes. Looking at the cuts on the round key though, that doesn't look like the ignition code either. If I had to guess, I'd say someone had a tag laying around or left another key tag on the key ring. Your best bet would be to pop the trunk cylinder out and take it to a locksmith, they can pull it apart decode it, make you a key that would fit the doors, trunk and glove box.

Thanks for the old parts guy knowledge! I do intend to go to a locksmith, just need to find the opportunity to get it done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast