Close

Default Might start making progress on the project cars

I've been getting a little work done on pace car #2 while I was on dry land for a few weeks. I managed to pull the 7.5 rear, rebuild an 8.8, and address the surface rust on the back half of the chassis. It's ready to go back together, but I'm back on the boat for another 28 days. Time goes by fast when I'm home.

Fortunately, it looks like I'll have some more time after this 28-day hitch. I accepted a shoreside job in our safety dept. It's a long-term temp job, but I don't plan on going back to the boats after this. I've been doing this lifestyle for almost 12 years now. 28 days on/28 off (technically, it's 29 on/27 off). I'll have to adjust to the rat race again. I'll have a 40 minute commute mon-fri, but I can pretty much make my own schedule. I prefer going in early and coming home with some day left to do what I want...such as wrenching on cars. This should also work out better for family life. Dad passed last year and we just moved mom back to town (they lived about 4 hrs away). I'll get to spend time with her, the wife, and my 3 boxers. Two of our dogs are getting up in age, including my buddy "Biff". I hope he'll be around another couple years. He's 10 but pretty healthy.Name:  Screenshot_20220808-114015_Gallery.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  155.0 KB
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 08-08-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Supporter

Sounds like a bunch of good stuff going on! Enjoy, Sir!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of good stuff going on! Enjoy, Sir!
    Thanks. Not sure I remember how to manage normal life so it will take some getting used to lol!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I'd be curious to see pics of these projects.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    I'd be curious to see pics of these projects.

I assure you, they exist...albeit, mostly under piles of LMR and Rockauto boxes lol! I'll start posting pics of some progress here soon.
    Name:  Screenshot_20220215-171603_Gallery.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  272.6 KB
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Good to see the garage is working out. Looks like a fun playground to me.
    Can get at things still room at the fresh wood bench
    Having worked ship/receive for a long time, constant shuffling, sorting, decluttering, most everything was half the job.
    At the shop, annual inventory days were a mess. Most items on racks and shelves had to be moved to floor to count and tag.
    Count and location had to be entered in database. Busy time for the girls in the office. Pretty much shut down operations.
    At the warehouses, inventory control was FIFO when possible, always stored in their assigned and recorded location.
    Necessary to make retrieval and storing parts faster using a hand scanner and its location database.
    In a fast paced environment, searching for lost parts was stressful. No hoarding attitude allowed. Dumping was ok.
    Organizational, packaging, labeling, skills from work are just as useful at home if allowing time to apply them correctly.
    Even so, wish i knew where my 20.00 red plastic faucet tool is.

Certain floor space was flexible or 'prime real estate', others keep clear work zones like the docks and near doors.

I built 2" deep plywood shelves in the shed. Deep enough but not too deep, 4' off floor.
    1' wire shelves for oil and clear shoe boxes for storing small similar contents. Hooks and utility wall brackets as needed.
    Seasonal and priority items get sorted and staged from back to front. Long items, snow shovels, are stored up across the rafters.
    The nice vac there takes up less space than big round ones. Looks to have the good flex hose.
    They like to tip without casters, but a brick inside fixes that. Same thing with my little 1 gal version.

Nice! My next house will have a garage. Tired of just a carport. And a short one at that. If I get the rear bumper almost touching the wall, the edge of the carport is right about the cowl.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

New User

Nice shop!