Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I have always been a manual kind of guy in my muscle car/sports car. Always wanted the 4 spd, then the 5 and lastly the 6 spd over the automatic, no questions asked. BUT I have to honestly say the Ford 10 speed is one bad a$$ transmission. Everyone I have talked to that owns one says the same and my limited experience with it, I was very impressed. First time in my life I would seriously consider the automatic over the manual. This is especially true with the Mustang 6 speed having QC issues long term.

In trucks, I have always preferred and automatic. Probably because that was my work truck and I was always working in it/with it so I was on the phone, etc. and rowing gears was not what I wanted to do. Nothing wrong with a manual, but honestly the automatics in the PSD since 2004 have been very good again. I haven't heard virtually any complaints from new Super Duty owners with the 10 speed and the PSD. They all say it shifts perfectly, never hunts for the right gear, and always downshifts to the perfect gear for the situation when driving and towing. The added fuel economy is awesome too. Obviously there aren't any other options for a transmission, but Ford got that one right.

NOW onto the Bronco MIC hard top issue! WTH! My Bronco is built and sitting in Michigan awaiting a new top because of QC issues with the current design/suppliers. Latest news is the new top won't be available until October at this point. Current owners that have taken delivery and those in transit currently will get tops first and then all produced Broncos in the order of production. So odds are I might be lucky to get my 2021 Bronco by November or December at this point in time. Right before the 2022 MY starts production in late December according to the latest guesstimate. Thankfully I only have a $100 reservation into the deal at this point, but having to decide if its worth actually moving forward with the purchase when its all said and done or just walk away at this point. I know someone else will snatch it up if I do and can't even get a new reservation until the 2023 MY at this point. What a gigantic cluster F#$% at this point. I applaud Ford for finally fixing the MIC roof debacle, but WOW what a PR nightmare.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I've seen that Tremec is making a trans with a super long tail housing to go in the S550 to replace the one that's in there. Funny.

My dad owns a '11 Ranger and says he can't believe how huge the new one is. Two of his brothers that have been Ford loyalists from the beginning have defected to foreign brands this year. It's a sad state of affairs. Maybe Ford will end up dumping some of the current nameplates just because of the bad feels from the current situation. Certainly not Bronco or F150, but still. They do love to make a fresh start, whether the situation warrants it or not. How about throwing a sedan into that mix of freshness Ford? Please?

If I become desperate and one of my two DDs becomes unworkable, I may go to a Bronco. Long after all this BS is over though. Two door with a manual, please.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...d-roof-issues/

yah a 2 door

sticks and slushboxes
    manual was always for performance or utility, base econo. std 3 speed on floor or column shift 3 on the tree.
    Times changed for fast automobiles and trucks. Auto is durable, shift quick, better fluids.
    Heavy off road equipment are commonly automatics of some sort.
    Have paced heavy trucks with an Allison off a traffic light just to hear the shift points.
    Trash trucks being hammered house to house stop and go hour after hour.
    Old mopar with gear pushbutton selectors on dash are interesting, as are Hurst Dual Gate and Lightning Rod shifters.
    Will never forget as a kid late 50's seen a small blue four eye 58 ford dump small tires with an allison stick on the dash.
    Semi truck drivers shifting in city driving. The old dual sticks. School busses had manual trans too.
    How the heck do women manage to drive sticks wearing high heels?

Yup, that roof thing is one of the things that will be long over by the time I'd be looking. I watched a Doug DeMuro about the Bronco yesterday. He said only 5 percent are choosing the manual. 18 sounds a lot better. EDIT: I forgot to mention that seeing the Bronco in detail, I really think this was something they could have just as easily done 10 years ago. Doug says their timing is perfect, but Ford was really leaving money on the table after 2011 not producing a Ranger and not basing something like the Bronco on it. That was just stupid. Maybe they wouldn't have even been in the bad position they were in from 2017 or so onward where they cancelled all the cars and stuff if they'd made the theoretical "all new US market 2012 Ranger" really appealing. And the Bronco would have been just as dazzling then as it is now.

I remember manual transmission school buses. I don't think they need to come back everywhere they once were, but that doesn't mean they need to go away completely. One time I drove an F250 with the V10 and a manual. That thing was bada$$. I accidentally started in 3rd and it didn't even blink. They DO have their place, but cheapa$$ companies like Ford would like nothing better than to dump them completely. That's why I was SHOCKED they are offering one in the Bronco. They might even be able to convince me to buy an F150 (I am NOT a truck guy) if I could get a regular cab shortbox with the Coyote and a manual. I know that will never happen though.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-15-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Just got back from the Woodward pre cruise.
    Ford has several areas with product on display. It is odd not to see a regular sedan.
    Touched, looked inside, noted details, took pics of the new full size Bronco and Maverick.
    Seen 2 and 4 door Bronco. Spare tire is outside in back.
    Very cool. May be my fave new Ford. Two door Cyber Orange with black trim is sharp.
    Front door glass has big view and squared off no curves.
    Removable ht sections have inside latches. Wonder how they come off with the roof rack so close?
    Cool black fender flares
    Dash is pretty much flat faced and clean looking no weird vents or giant screens.
    Black w/s cowl assy extends outboard of fenders for the mirror mounts.
    Fenders have front tie down anchor points. Bronco Sport does not have these.
    Smaller Bronco Sport is not the same design or scaled down version too bad.

Maverick is close to the traditional Rangers of the past height wise and overall.
    Ranger is much taller bigger closer to F-150.

Seen one F-150 had the trans shifter back on the column.
    Some had only dials, some models had both.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-19-2021 at 11:45 PM.

The Bronco Sport is super lame. It's the Bronco equivalent of the Mach E. Diluting the name by slapping it on something completely unrelated. They are so excited about doing this sub-brand thing. I think it's their way of getting the public used to other types of products having their legendary names on them so they can phase the originals out. You wait. This generation of pure Bronco will be the last.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Someone in my neighborhood has had a Bronco Sport since last year. Believe color is Cactus Gray.
    Continues to be more pleasant to look at than most all the other vehicles anywhere.
    Much better looking than any version of a Hummer. Most Jeeps are still done well.
    Big Bronco has real good clean vis upright A pillar and flat w/s. Rear is the usual dark tinted blind spots.
    Yesterday was the first time could tell the diff between the two. Its the black hood fender marker/tiedowns.
    The 4 door First Edition Bronco in the display had the front grill Safari bar that blocked out the BRONCO lettering.
    Did not see any headliner on the dark grey multisectioned hardtops. It was dark out and did not see any flaws.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...es/8111220002/
    https://fordauthority.com/2021/06/20...pplier-issues/
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...uality-issues/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dThtJTR_Y
    https://thebronconation.com/new-bron...es-comparison/
    Last edited by gr79; 08-26-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    The Bronco Sport is super lame. It's the Bronco equivalent of the Mach E. Diluting the name by slapping it on something completely unrelated. They are so excited about doing this sub-brand thing. I think it's their way of getting the public used to other types of products having their legendary names on them so they can phase the originals out. You wait. This generation of pure Bronco will be the last.
    The Bronco Sport is the replacement for the Ford Escape and IMHO goes back to more of the 2012 and earlier styling that I prefer. I bought a 2008 and a 2009 Mercury Mariner version of those year model Escapes and they have been great vehicles for both of my older daughters. On demand AWD, 3.0 v6 engine and enough room for them to pack all their crap for college. Both have over 150K miles on them and still going.

The New Bronco Sport is no full size Bronco, but its no different than the ole Bronco II of the 80's. Not a GREAT vehicle, but they have their following and lots of people still love them today. I vividly remember riding with my Grandfather in his 1984 Bronco II when it was new. Didn't know any better then and thought it was a cool vehicle.

The Sport has gotten decent marks for its off road capabilities and overall styling and space on the interior. The interior and colors look pretty decent to me. I am not a huge fan of the 1.5 Ecoboost 3cyl, but at least a 2.0 4cyl Ecoboost is an option although I believe you have to go with at least the Badlands in order to get the 2.0.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The Escape is still around though. The current body style has only been out for a couple of years. The Bronco Sport's styling is a straight ripoff of the first gen Escape with a black roof so you don't notice. Just another lame thing about it.

I have no problem with the Bronco II. At least it was still truck based and stuff. Way more a real Bronco than the Sport.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    The Escape is still around though. The current body style has only been out for a couple of years. The Bronco Sport's styling is a straight ripoff of the first gen Escape with a black roof so you don't notice. Just another lame thing about it.

I have no problem with the Bronco II. At least it was still truck based and stuff. Way more a real Bronco than the Sport.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I understand what you're saying. I guess the Sport being called a Bronco bothers me much less than the Mach E being called a Mustang.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I understand what you're saying. I guess the Sport being called a Bronco bothers me much less than the Mach E being called a Mustang.
    Yeah. And I'm just bitter they can apparently put out new crossover models to infinity, but they "can't" make the models I liked.

And yes, I remember the Bronco II rollover fiasco. I even knew a guy who rolled his.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Good point about the names.
    Maybe Ranger and Maverick names are reversed?
    Noted Ranger? had a 14" giant screen hanging and dominating the center dash.
    Gosh what are thumbs going to do? Did schools teach typing with thumbs? All thumbs?
    Just can't shake LCD blue screen emissions and cell phone always in hand addictions during waking hours.
    Funny how rollovers have become 'accepted' since the 90's Explorer thing, fwd and airbags. Nader and Corvair?
    The more safety built in, the higher the perceived safety limit is pushed. Then add the new driver distractions.
    High HP and tall vehicles sure have not ever been done as safety factors.
    Either supersize or keep shrinking. Formal norm of middle ground thinking not acceptable?

Older people got to love the high drivers climb in/out designs. Or ground hugging sports cars.
    Bring back the Dusters, Fairmonts, slow regular cars and smaller wheels?

Speed. Stress. Companies push for more productivity. Work faster and do three peoples jobs but be safe?
    Then attempt to solve this with more unnecessary tech and resources, which created the problems in the first place?
    Over complication and over thinking of simple tasks via tech. Micromanaging. Who benefits?

I do find my new Ryobi 18v 150w power inverter tool a useful product. Seems well designed and practical all the way.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-21-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Take a look at the Doug DeMuro video about the Bronco. The one he tests does indeed have the giant middle dash screen. The one in the cluster is pretty useless too. And that's the only way it comes. It's strange to see Ford fixing all the problems to the Nth degree on the Bronco. Where was that with the Focus's automatic? Maybe they learned their lesson? No, they just really want the Bronco to succeed because they've built their future around SUVs. That was not the case with the Focus.

My wife is a pharmacist, and you should see all the cuts the big chain have been doing. Less and less and less employee hours per shift. Now, she's by herself trying to handle long lines of people a lot of the time. It's just people's LIVES, but hey, there's money to be made.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Did go back to the Ford exhibit Saturday.
    The huge dash screen was in a Mach E. No others had one that big. Has a 2" x 8" gauge? cluster too.

Bronco ad info display:
    Name:  2021 Bronco models 3030.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  27.0 KB
    Last edited by gr79; 08-22-2021 at 10:09 PM.

The standard screen in the new Bronco is an 8" with the 12" screen optional. Both are integrated well and look like part of the dash rather than the current trend of having them look like an afterthought that was tacked on top of the dash or just stuck somewhere it kinda works.

I sat in a Mach E at my dealership and the screen in that one is HUGE! I know they are competing directly with Tesla on that one. Personally looks terrible to me, but I wasn't that impressed by the Mach E interior. I hear it drives well and has some power, but this futuristic minimalist interior thing in the E cars just doesn't interest me.

I wasn't a huge fan of the INFO displays that started about 5-6 years ago now, but since they are here to stay I do appreciate the slightly large screens as it does make them easier to operate and read as my eyes get older. I opted for the 12" screen in my Bronco that comes with the High Package. I didn't want the Lux package with all the lane centering, auto cruise, etc. Although the heated steering wheel would have been nice here in the winter.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

My ST has the screen that's an overhead view of the car, and all it really tells you is if the headlights are on or doors are open. Even though there's indicator lights for that. I've seen people go in and modify the code somehow and they can make that the screen you see in other Fords that repeats what your center screen is doing like your song title, who's on the phone, or nav directions. That would be a LOT more useful. I've seen them upgrade to the latest Sync, and add HVAC controls to the screen too. Pretty sweet. It's tempting to try.

Oh, and my ST has heated steering wheel too. It's cool.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Default Broncos at a 90F evening night cruise lot

Seen last nite, in local Ford dealer cruise display area, first one in the new Kroger's parking lot.
    Fine looking blue Bronco II one, clean white Bronco I.
    Name:  harper 82521 blue bronco II 3030(9).JPG
Views: 176
Size:  41.4 KBName:  harper 82521 white bronco I 3030 (10).JPG
Views: 290
Size:  38.0 KB

Also was one new Bronco 4 door automatic with manual soft top. Comes with removable nylon mesh up there.
    Cactus Gray. Owner installed thin clear film over front part of hood and chassis lights. Bronco has Bilstein shocks!
    The doors unbolt but storage bags are optional.
    Owner liked it has had it for 2 months. Dealer invited owner to show.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...eggs-revealed/
    https://www.bkford.com/blogs/2764/wa...w-ford-bronco/

F series Ranger 8pm
    Name:  harper 82521 f100 Ranger 3030 (8).JPG
Views: 129
Size:  38.4 KB
    Last edited by gr79; 08-26-2021 at 02:09 PM.

I think it's really funny you have to UNBOLT the Bronco's doors. ANY car's doors unbolt, Bronco. You are not special in that.

Maybe I'll unbolt my Zeph's doors and slap a "Bronco Sedan" emblem on it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The bolts are the hinge pins unlike a car. There is an ele connector that detaches too.
    Mirrors are attached to cowl wing assy, not the doors.
    The owner said he has removed door himself with no help. Door has no glass frame.
    Is like trying to carry four 1/2 sheets of plywood. Need 4' arms to grab the bottom. Said to weigh <60#.
    I think a plywood carrier and a moving pad may work. Handy tool for sheet goods.
    https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wise idea to park new vehicles lacking parts in farmer's fields?
    It is being done. Yah they got security and portable lights out there.
    No shortage of nesting mice and 'possums. Park in a field. Rust city.
    Surly there are new foreign sourced parts tied up on anchored boats.
    Payback time. Same mistakes nothing learned from the discarded analog past.
    Paperwork did not cause accounting and projections get ahead of itself.
    Tech may have started to cause more problems than it solves and is slowing things down.
    Imperfections that are real world are left out of programming. Faulty data input= faulty results.
    Did not see this back in the day.
    Non home computers are a huge middleman that wastes too much time, money, and resources. Phones too.
    They are like digital data hoarders so much stored cant find what they have quickly or at all most of the time.
    Office paperwork limited data overload. Now everything has to be inputted a million times and saved for what?
    'Paperless society' created to save paper. Ha what a mess and myth.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for them, honestly. They clearly don't want me as a customer anyway. I got some good seat time in my Focus ST yesterday (I don't drive it much because I'm a stay at home dad/part time worker with a short commute). I had a blast. Such an amazing product. Too bad Hackett sucked all the fun out of Ford. This is karma.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I think Ford have it sorted. The T6 platform and C2 platform share have totally sorted FoMoCo's platform sharing and cost structure.

See https://youtu.be/BYXfg_5Oaq8

The Sedan is dead. Ford isn't Deaf. The hatch lives on as a CrossOver Vehicle. Fords focus is on COV's and SUV's.

When Suzuki opted out of Four Door sedans in the USA because it couldn't make money from them...so did Ford.

Everything is moving back to previous Studebaker Starlite, pretty 1947 two box cars and tray utility pickups. Vale the Sedan!

I have two Rangers a 2020 and an 1987
    87 with 306 V8, world windsor sr heads, roller rocker, tri y headers, 5 speed, lowered. built it about 18 years ago.
    2020 is stock except MPBR dual out exhaust, average 19 to 21 mpg around town.

Name:  rangers 1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  128.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    I think Ford have it sorted. The T6 platform and C2 platform share have totally sorted FoMoCo's platform sharing and cost structure.

See https://youtu.be/BYXfg_5Oaq8

The Sedan is dead. Ford isn't Deaf. The hatch lives on as a CrossOver Vehicle. Fords focus is on COV's and SUV's.

When Suzuki opted out of Four Door sedans in the USA because it couldn't make money from them...so did Ford.

Everything is moving back to previous Studebaker Starlite, pretty 1947 two box cars and tray utility pickups. Vale the Sedan!
    No. What exactly was "fun" about the original Rav4 again? And just because Ford spent a little more money on marketing and stupid gimmicks that doesn't mean they're headed in the right direction. Just because they're putting out more and more crossovers and some of them look more butch is hardly "exciting". If they saved so much money developing the Focus, why can't I have one? They could import them. Why not? Nope. Trucks only. F*** them.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast