Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Thoughts on the new Ranger?

Name:  cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  199.8 KB

I am glad to see it back. Only drivetrain options mentioned so far is the 2.3EB + 10sp auto which might be interesting. I am hoping for a 2wd, regular cab option (stick would be nice but I won't count on it). There seems to be a Raptor version in the works. I am still hoping Ford brings back the Lightning at some point, but a Lightning Bolt based on the Ranger could be fun too....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/a14783721/2019-ford-ranger-debut-release-date-specs/

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/...g-bolt-ranger/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NY5speed; 01-16-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

I like it, think it looks sharp. But I'd like to see it in person. I also like the new Chevy Colorado (no brand loyalty with me, I currently have a Tahoe), which I think this directly competes with.

I've never driven anything with that may forward gears, but I wonder how well a 10 speed auto performs.

I'd be worried about the trans constantly "hunting" for the optimal gear plus the durability of a 10 speed auto....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I agree, I am curious about the 10sp also. The press seems to like it in the full size trucks and the ZL1 Camaro. I haven't seen anything about towing capacity yet. I too have a Tahoe at the moment, 1998 with a Vortec 350, love that thing.
    Last edited by NY5speed; 01-16-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    -Randy

Not a bad looking truck, but honestly it does nothing for me. The style is a bit blah IMHO. Again not bad looking, but doesn't have a tough look or a style that excites me.

Probably not really their demographics anyways since not really in the market and would most likely buy a Super Duty, although the F150 is a nice truck. Oh well, have to get a couple of kids thru college before a new truck is an option anyway.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 01-16-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I like what I've seen so far. I'm not really a truck guy, so a monster-huge F-150 does not appeal to me (except for the Coyote). I'm very curious how much cheaper the Ranger will be and how much smaller. I'm also really curious what the differences really are between the North American one and the one sold elsewhere. It sure looks the same, which is cool.

I guess I have to give Ford a little credit for introducing something it can build here in the US if it's going to refuse to build ANY of it's cars here.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I for one am a Ranger fan. Having owned more of them than I have Mustangs, I might be a bit biased. I hope Ford nailed this one finally and I can't wait to see where it goes.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by NY5speed View Post
    I agree, I am curious about the 10sp also. The press seems to like it in the full size trucks and the ZL1 Camaro. I haven't seen anything about towing capacity yet. I too have a Tahoe at the moment, 1998 with a Vortec 350, love that thing.
    I've got a 2008 Tahoe with the 5.3L Vortex. 138k and running strong.... This is my second Tahoe, previous one was a 2005 that I ended up selling to my parents. Great vehicles!

Back to the original topic, the new Ranger and Colorado are both nice looking vehicles but both have increased in size compared to the original versions (Ranger / S-10). That's par for the course anymore. Look back at any 80's/90's cars then and now and the bloat factor is amazing.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Default Keep a truck a truck

At least offer work versions.
    MSRP will be a factor as always.
    Overall, outside toned down from prior peeks.

Have had 2 Rangers since 1990. Both 2.3/5sp/7' bed.
    85 XL and 93 XLT (current). Bought the 93 in 1994 with 5000 miles on it from Ford dealer.
    Been studying a pic of the 2019 interior, comparing the 93 to it.
    The 93 does everything i need it to do. Durable and reliable.
    Rust has turned into a big problem even with prior care.

Interior
    Dash
    93- Gauges, shape great. Glove box small, items fall out. HVAC slider, rotary fan, easy to see/use. Minimal controls, durable.
    19- dash decent. Fake gauges ok. HVAC square vent shape, placement good, fancy border not. HVAC controls out of view.

Door area
    93- has flat sill to rest arm. Armrest finger tub fills with water if exposed to weather. 'A' piller blind spot minimal. 3.00 key
    19- has flat sill to rest arm. Armrest shape like Fox Mustang. 'A' pillar blind spot same. 30.00? key. Better outside handle.

Seats, console
    93- 60/40 fabric ok, padding no, armrest broke, small storage. Updated to bucket and console with cup holders.
    19- seat shape, fabric, look better. Console, armrest look ok. Horz buttons will collect dirt and liquid.

Windshield
    93 Large, hard to clean outside middle (height) especially cleaning off snow/scraping ice.
    19 Large, looks harder to clean, especially snow/scraping ice.

Steering wheel
    93 changed to sportier Grant GT with thicker grip
    19 nice shape and grip. Got to lose all the car style buttons.

Headlight switch
    93 Pull push type. The best grip and action.
    19 Rotary twist type. The worst. Less grip, feel for position.

Cab room
    93 std ok overall. Not enough room to store items behind seat. Seat back barely reclines enough.
    19 large cabs too much room for one person to use. Cuts rear visibility, adds weight, cost, shortens bed.

Improvements?
    Do not need touch screens. Obsoletes after few years. Make optional. Put a deep bin with big cup holders there.
    No power mirrors, windows. Both years look the same and door glass will freeze up.
    Do the door seals also freeze up due to lack of roof gutters?
    A/C that functions well past warranty period.

Has effort been directed to improving windshield wipers and fluid sys as much as to high tech gadgets?
    Does bad weather still spill onto seat when opening door?

DS floor pan for mud/snow/water management?
    Tire jack? Spare tire access?

Both have full frame
    RWD or FWD
    93 simple proven drive train and engine
    19 complex unproven drive train and engine but interesting 280 hp+/10sp auto/Dana axles.

Map lights?
    93- no, had to add clip on swivel LED
    19- ?? no pics of headliner for all models.

Paint color choices
    93- 13
    19- ??

I've had 4 Rangers. An 85, 89, 91, and currently a 93 i've had for 15+yrs. All were 4WD, all were V6's, and all were manual transmissions. The 93 has been the best one. 325,000 original miles, same powertrain with many of those miles offroad. If the new ones dont have a manual option i wont be interested. Thats the problem with all of todays trucks, they just have to much crap going on with them. I want a truck not a car with all the bells and whistles that just so happens to have a bed.

Looked for an automatic but only found a stick in the config i wanted.
    Installed a Hurst shifter assy last year. Night and day. Fun to drive again.
    Factory shifter is too sloppy.

Auto in a 19 would be ok if heavy duty.
    What? No paddle shifters?

True everything nowadays is designed to do it all.
    Like they say, Jack of all trades, master of none.
    No choice. Have to buy bundles not needed. Then hope it still works after payoff.
    So much junk, they would need a 10' window sticker to list it all separately.
    Most will lease products like this. Use and dump.

I disable the key chime on my personal cars. Squeaks, rattles and chatter drive me nuts. Every led light on a phone charger or other electronic gets disabled before it goes in my car.

New cars drive me nuts. Beeps when you turn it on. Beeps when you connect Bluetooth. Beeps when you don't connect blue tooth. Beeps to tell you are in reverse without a seat belt on. Beeps if you don't have the seat belt on when you start it, beeps when you have the seat belt on. All the lights, sounds, and notifications every time you do anything.

No easy way to "cancel" the many beeps and notifications that you get for no reason, all the time.

Another thing new cars have lost me on, fully loaded options. In 5 years, that $2000 stereo will look ancient. I'd rather have an am/fm with a dial. I remember a kid at my work thinking it was really cool I could manually roll my windows down without the car running. He'd never seen manual windows before.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I definitely agree with the above statements on all the tech. A relatively bare bones work-truck version will probably end up in the mix. I like to avoid things that go terribly obsolete in a few years too. My 30 year old f150 and 20 year old Tahoe still do everything I need them to do and nothing in the interior screams "relic" the way SYNC probably will in 10 years. Does anyone remember the cutting-edge talking Chrylsers and Nissans from the late 80s?
    -Randy

The ranger is the top truck in the lineup in Brazil and has been for a few years AFAIK. I saw them for the first time on a recent trip to São Paulo. I hope to never go back if I'm being honest.

I liked my 2006 FX4. I miss that truck.
    Name:  IMG_0400.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  169.4 KB
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I like my Ranger

Name:  ranger1.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  136.4 KB

my daily driver and parts chaser !
    People who say it cannot be done should not get in the way of the people doing it!

1979 Mustang 2.8V6
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited

I'd love to see the "real" Ranger brought back, a small light duty regular-cab truck good for running errands and using as an inexpensive second vehicle. The problem is, I don't see that happening. I was looking for a small truck, as I don't need to spend $35,000 on a truck that I'll only need to use as a truck occasionally. The problem is the Colorado and Tacoma are actually longer than a single-cab 1/2 ton, because they're actually family trucksters with a short bed on the back. You can't buy them in regular-cab anymore, it's actually hard to get even a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge 1/2 ton truck in a single cab, though you can get them.

There are a few reasons for this, some will tell you that it has to do with the environmental standards set and the best way to get around them is to increase the wheelbase of the vehicle. There's some truth to that, but the reality is that it's mostly about MONEY. The Ranger competes with the f150 which is Ford's biggest seller. They phased out the small trucks a few years ago in order to focus on the larger and more profitable ones. The only way they bring the Ranger back, unless it's simply to ward off competition from GM and Toyota, is if the Ranger offers something that the f150 doesn't. My fear is that these will be the same bloated "small" trucks that will be in a similar price point as the f150, which in my opinion defeats the purpose of a real light truck.

I'll be hopeful, I'd like to be wrong about this. I'd really like to buy an actually small truck!

My thoughts?......meh.....I'd rather have an early 90's version.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

I think you are right. The ranger will cost almost as much as a f-150. Bet it has way less capability abd a few options will sell f-150 more then ranger.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I agree that the only way the ranger could work is if they would make it a cheap truck and not compete with the F150. We all know Colorado is doing that with the Silverado and the MPG is still the same if not worse.

Name:  Colorado.PNG
Views: 470
Size:  44.3 KB
    Name:  Silverado.PNG
Views: 657
Size:  40.1 KB
    2015 F350 6.7 CCLB Platinum
    2008 Taurus 3.5
    1997 F250 7.3 RCLB ZF5
    1985 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0/T5
    1968 Pontiac LeMans 400/ST-300

How true. Simple and affordable is what brought Ford business in the beginning.
    Looking at, say 60's F-150. Lot more more truck, hints of car.
    Now no way. A real truck outside and full car inside. Pay for 2 get one.
    At least the gas tank is not behind the bench seat.

There is 250, 350 for heavy work.
    Ranger in the 80's same thing. To small? Buy full size, not bitch.

Ranger would have sold more had not Ford kept raising MSRP using proven paid tooling and materials.
    Or was it bait and switch to sell 150?
    Offer 1/2 the options and make the darn things available as basic and comfortably affordable.
    Not how much profit to make. They wont. Not competing, team player, game attitudes. That's for sports, not mfg.
    If there is good resale and low MSRP, buyers can trade more, rather than have to keep forever to pay off.

My 1993 Ranger XLT was 13,000.00.
    A/C, 2.3 5 sp, 7' 114 wb reg cab RWD. 20+ mpg.
    A/C quit, carpet is gone. Rust is the major issue. Needs repaint.
    Does the job. Pretty easy to work on. Tough truck. Great brakes.
    Am restoring it slowly for less than new. Lots of new parts.
    Always been pleasant to drive, especially with Hurst shifter.

I really like the styling of the new Ranger, they look better in person. Great proportions and perfect size IMO. Only concerns are the 2.3EB and 10 speed auto. If they came with a 2.7EB and a 6 speed manual in Raptor trim, I'd be hard pressed not to buy one if my current Ranger finally dies.

They have big shoes to fill. My 99' 4x4 Ex-cab Ranger w/a 3.0 and 5spd has been an amazing truck. 235k miles and all I've had to do is brakes, 1 battery and a clutch (pilot bearing failed at 148k miles so I replaced everything). Still original alternator, u-joints, water pump, fuel pump, etc. Uses 1qt of oil every 5k miles and still knocks down 20+mpg hwy without trying. Love that truck. Gonna drive it until it evaporates.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

I've got a 16 Colorado with a ladder rack, a front leveling kit, a toolbox and one size larger tire ,so i can use a snow plow (boss recommends). I will say everyone I know is getting 25 mpg. I can only manage 14 at the very best even before I uplifted it for work. Priced a few thousand less than a full size, let's face it the full-size trucks are 10k overpriced to start with. For what I do it does 99% of what I need, and you can actually get it through a drive thru or park at target. I have driven s 10s for years... and years. Except for mileage and some warranty stuff I can't seem to get fixed, oh and it's rusting on the bed sides already( 25k miles) I like it alright

Looks a LOT like the new Chevy Colorado!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast