Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nobody wants to discuss the new Bullitt Mustang?

I like it.... won't be selling my soul to own one though. Cool car, that would have been cooler in a 13-14 model year.

I was shocked to read that the hero car (the other original 68 Bullitt from the movie) was unveiled. That car has been the talk of the Mustang crowd for many years. I had to read all the articles on it because I too had been curious about the car's history for the past 46 years. All the article have different pictures and different details. Not sure if I could have kept the secret for that many years being a car guy. An interesting read to say none the less.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    I like it.... won't be selling my soul to own one though. Cool car, that would have been cooler in a 13-14 model year.
    Meh, car is ok. Personally, I could go for the SN95 version....
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Meh, car is ok. Personally, I could go for the SN95 version....
    I like all of the previous cars. It's a shame to me that whenever I find one for sale it is either overpriced, heavily modded or both. Kills it for me. The only thing that ruins this new one for me is thinking about the price.

I also really liked seeing the original car in an unrestored condition. Cool stuff.

Default Local Ford news from Detroit

A snowy all Ford day for me.
    Mustang sat home. Drove the Ranger.

Made a trip to the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn MI Monday.
    5 hours worth.
    'Engines Exposed' and MLK day exhibits current events.
    Out and about total of 13 hours.

Got home 12am. Friend left messages with questions about Bullitt.
    Did not know of anything special going on until then.

That 68 Bullitt would fit right in the musuem with other famous cars.

Pretty classy marketing intro by Ford with Molly McQueen at the annual NAIAS Detroit Auto Show, press preview days.
    She had to recently learn how to drive a stick.
    The 68 sounded healthy when she started it.
    Show opens to the public Saturday here in Detroit.
    Guess both cars will be on display.
    Kind of hard to realize that movie car is sitting 30 miles from my house.

Starting the car her grandpa drove in movie:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q5pHm2Cfq4

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...on/1033958001/

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/01/...auto-show.html

Inside look at filming the movie:
    http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/BULLITT.html

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...uts/109404938/

Have an Autoart 1/18 diecast, Green, 2001 version.
    Was not cheap at 60.00 but bought it from a Ford dealer, and its paid for.

A 68 with the 390/4sp would be fun to drive.
    2001 is sharp. That era still had fox in it.
    Others? eh. pass.

The latest one 2018? 2019? looks fine in the front shot.
    No glitz.
    Rear shot. All Mustang.
    Side profile view. What is it? No Mustang clues.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-15-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Looks good to me, I always like the Bullitt specials. Its been a while since I drove any of the 05+ mustangs (and I haven't sampled the newest gen yet) but they always felt too big to me vs the fox/sn95, maybe I'll grow into one someday.
    Last edited by NY5speed; 01-16-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

I think the new one is the best iteration since the original. Very sharp with a sinister look. This is my favorite 2015+ Mustang yet.

Cool story about the original too. I probably would have sold it back to Steve McQueen.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I was more interested in Molly McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by tORMENtOR View Post
    Can't blame you there!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

ive owned both the 01 and 08-09s and they were great cars to drive. Very cool feel, especially the 08-09s. This one looks to be very sharp as well. My very first car was a 68 Galaxie XL, in my favorite color...Highland Green! That color and will always be forever burned into my psyche and one of my all time favorite colors. It's nice they boosted the HP. The digitally designed exhaust on the 08-09s produced some of the most beautiful dbs ever to resonate out of a SBF in my humble opinion, just as sweet a note as you can get. good on Ford.

I like it well enough. A regular GT is already wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range as it is though (at least one with the stuff I'd want on it). I haven't thought about owning a new Mustang since the New Edge cars when I did buy one (a GT). Seems to me like Mustangs have gotten disproportionately expensive compared to other Fords in the past 10 years or so. I'll go ahead and blame THAT on Barrett-Jackson too.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Oh, I had another thought. It's too bad car magazines refuse to do a re-match of Mustang vs. Camaro. GT PP or Bullitt vs SS 1LE. I'd be willing to bet with all Ford has done for '18 and with the Bullitt addresses every shortcoming to the Camaro in the last round. But car magazine hate Ford, so we'll probably never know.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

They keep getting less and less special with every version. This one has to be hovering on $50,000 in base form. The 2001 had a lot more unique parts and the 2008 really had none aside from a grill and this continues that trend. Full details are not out on this one yet though so it COULD change. All the outside is base Mustang for extra money. There is a unique $125 fake gas cap on the back and for $2,000 extra they don't put the Mustang in the grill or emblems on the side that comes standard with every Mustang. For even more $$$ than that, they will program the computer to sew the inside with green stitching instead of black (not standard mind you) you have to pony up for the Recaro seats for $2,500 more. It also has a $15 white shifter knob. I guess if that's your definition of cool I say go for it.
    The only really semi-cool thing about it is it comes with the GT350 intake and special Mufflers. It does sound awesome in the (probably enhanced) video for sure. That's the first use of the GT350 intake outside of that program and likely was in the plans 5 years ago when they told the bean counters they would use that intake on other models to recoup the cost of tooling. If you want to own a cool serialized Bullitt then buy a 2001. The reason they don't serialize these is because they will make as many as anyone on the planet will cough up enough cash to own. I remember when we thought the Probe was the end of the Mustang. I personally believe the people that are in charge of the Mustang now are end. They think people will just continue to pay a premium for a car with a TON of compromise built in and I guess we will see.
    Last edited by homer302; 01-16-2018 at 08:14 PM.

No emblems per movie car. They said McQueen had them take em off.
    Which had a white Hurst shifter ball. No giant gas cap.
    Ford could not resist super sizing something.
    The era of aggression, overkill, strange priorities, un-practicability, and hype.

FEP Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW60y2x3x0w

Great commercial...love the car. Ford nailed it.

FEP Senior Member

I think that is McQueens granddaughter driving....

It is.

"The company called Molly McQueen.

The 30-year-old actress and producer flew to Detroit from Los Angeles in December to learn how to drive the 2019 Mustang Bullitt and videotape chase scenes in Dearborn for a debut film promoting the collector’s edition. The Audi owner had never driven a manual transmission until she was asked to be part of the top-secret launch.

"I honestly didn't know how to drive a stick shift and I stalled it quite a few times. By the end of the second day of shooting, they asked me to slow down. It becomes second nature. And you're thinking about the gears and the clutch and driving becomes a fun activity as opposed to just a way to get from one place to another," McQueen said in advance of Sunday's event at Cobo Center.

“This is something my grandpa would have loved. And my mother, Terry McQueen. She used to always say, ‘God, he would’ve loved you. You’re so similar to him.’ But I never knew my grandpa. He died in 1980 and I was born in 1987.”

Few people know Molly McQueen is the famous actor’s granddaughter. She grew up in Pacific Palisades with a film producer mother who spent most of her time as at home as a mom. Now Molly is a writer, actress and producer who recently sold her first project to Warner Bros., the company that made her grandfather famous."

Quote Originally Posted by tORMENtOR View Post
    YEP
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Found another article
    Said may be the most valuable Mustang in existence.

Close up pics of the 68.
    Rusty bumpers?
    New one has none.
    Steel wool to the paint job?
    New one is too shiny
    Added dents?
    New one has that covered in a way with crease work, sculpturing everywhere.
    The greens do not match.
    Smoke machine?
    New one wont need one.

Jan 14, 2018
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...steve-mcqueen/

Motorweek likes the '18 GT...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalbn0mFI3w

I seem to remember Davis have a lot to criticize about the '15.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Member

As they build the Mustang into to more a world car I quickly loose interest in it. It was America’s car. Our pony car! It was something the world wanted, but few ever had. The 11-12 Mustang is gorgeous with a great engine. Make mine a 12 Boss 302. But the one I kind of fancy is the 03-04 Mach 1. The original movie car did it best. All other incarnation of the Bullitt doesn’t do it for me with the color as the only exception.

Quote Originally Posted by boss82gt View Post
    As they build the Mustang into to more a world car I quickly loose interest in it. It was America’s car. Our pony car! It was something the world wanted, but few ever had. The 11-12 Mustang is gorgeous with a great engine. Make mine a 12 Boss 302. But the one I kind of fancy is the 03-04 Mach 1. The original movie car did it best. All other incarnation of the Bullitt doesn’t do it for me with the color as the only exception.
    Art Hyde (the creator of the 2001 Bullitt for those that don't know) was at the Mustang Day Celebration in Charlotte today. I was there and he did a presentation of the development of it and how it was never actually a legitimate special "project" so therefore, it never needed "approval" from management and never was. His team just "DID IT". It was truly unique and special from front to back and head to toe. I love the 2001. The '08 was a badge 'N sticker job with nothing at all unique. I haven't really checked in to the final details of the new one to see how much is really unique aside from the price tag. I know the "pre" production stuff says it has unique exhaust and a GT350 intake so it is at least better than the 2008 version. And you can pay extra for green stitching inside. Yay....
    Side note - he claims the 03-04 Mach1 actually saved the Mustang from going front wheel drive again in 2005. I certainly believe him but I've never heard it before. He was at Ford and I was not. He said they made so much profit on the Mach1 that he was able to convince Ford to let him work on what became the S197. He told them they would be able to start making serious bank on them and as the price tag today reflects, he truly had foresight. A Mustang GT is $20,000 more today than in 2004.
    Last edited by homer302; 04-14-2018 at 06:42 PM.

FEP Member

The Bullitt in 01 was way more special than the 08 version.
    The Mach 1 wasn’t huge in numbers if memory serves, but beside the Terminators it was one badass car. Not too far behind a later Boss 302. One thing is for certain, they will live on as top models of their era and collections of enthusiasts.

Yep, couldn't agree more. That's exactly what I said above. They sure "phoned that one in" for the '08 Bullitt. It's just a paint job and a standard grill that they actually took stuff off of to make it look more plain. That's about it. Fancy brakes and suspension? Don't think so.

The Mach1 was almost entirely Bullitt parts PLUS a DOHC engine. They are really neat. The 5 speeds even got the forged Terminator Crank. Autos made do with a lesser cast version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast