Close

Default A/C cutout solenoid

I would like to make the air work on my 85 5.0 carbureted car. I'm putting a new Edelbrock carb on and I either need to bypass the solenoid or know how to adapt it.
    Also, if the cutout solenoid is shot is there a replacement available or can I just plug it into the harness and let it non working?
    Last edited by dagenham; 01-15-2018 at 06:05 PM.

So there are two things up there at the carb: one is an idle kicker solenoid to increase RPMs at idle when the A/C is on and the other is a micro switch that is tripped when the throttle is opened to WOT. That de-energizes a relay behind the dash above the glove box that provides power to the A/C clutch.

To make your air work, you just need to make sure the two micro switch wires are jumpered if you remove the switch, but the clutch will not release when the throttle is WOT. Without the idle kicker solenoid, the idle won't be bumped 250 rpm. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how you could adapt that to your new carb.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

Adapting to the new carb will be a matter of fabbing a new bracket. Which two wires would I jump if I wanted to eliminate the whole assembly just to see if the air even works? It has 134 fittings on it already but I don't know if it's charged or not even.

The two wire connector are the two that should be jumped/continuous. The switch opens the circuit between the two wires.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

FEP Senior Member

You don't need to do anything to see if the air will work. The throttle kick up solenoid just moves the throttle a little bit to help keep the engine from stalling. The WOT switch shuts off the a/c at WOT to take the load off the engine to get full power. If the air doesn't work, then it will most likely come down to a pressure switch in the a/c lines.

I wondered about that but wasn't sure. So if I turn the air on I should have power at the clutch switch connector unless the pressure switch or something is bad, right?