Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Got it. Thanks, Jack!

Interesting project Pat (though its distracting you from completing the four channel ABS on the '89 ;-)

Couple of things. I may have some useful sheetmetal coming off the drivers quarter panel of my 85 LTD LX this summer which may be a match to your car, I have a donar quarter for it and was going to cut and weld below the belt line and at the edge of the door opening while using Fuser to meld in the outer wheel tub. Some lightweighting due to rust but I think the portion you could use is in good shape, certainly straighter than what you have and the color will match.

Second suggestion is on paint. Instead of using off the shelf rattle can, you can get custom mixed spray paint cans at many auto body supply places that have the hardener in a separate chamber in the bottom that you can release into the upper chamber just before you paint. Get an organic vapor mask, maybe a disposable on that protects your eyes as well, if you go this route. Much more durable then a rattle can that relies solely on evaporation of a solvent to harden.
    1985 LTD LX original owner

double post
    1985 LTD LX original owner

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
    Interesting project Pat (though its distracting you from completing the four channel ABS on the '89 ;-)
    *sigh* One of these days I'll get back to that. I yanked basically all of the wiring out a couple/few years ago with the intention of just starting over, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Couple of things. I may have some useful sheetmetal coming off the drivers quarter panel of my 85 LTD LX this summer which may be a match to your car, I have a donar quarter for it and was going to cut and weld below the belt line and at the edge of the door opening while using Fuser to meld in the outer wheel tub. Some lightweighting due to rust but I think the portion you could use is in good shape, certainly straighter than what you have and the color will match.
    I've never really looked to see if the 2-door and 4-door have the same rear wheel well. I guess I just assumed it was different due to the bit near the rear door, but I guess my damage is on the opposite side, so that may be moot.

I suppose talking about body work is moot, too, as I don't have the skeelz to do any of that. Maybe some day, and probably this would be the platform to practice on, but that's not in the short term plans. I'm just hoping the current damage won't be an issue. If it is, there will be more BFH work in the short term.

Second suggestion is on paint. Instead of using off the shelf rattle can, you can get custom mixed spray paint cans at many auto body supply places that have the hardener in a separate chamber in the bottom that you can release into the upper chamber just before you paint. Get an organic vapor mask, maybe a disposable on that protects your eyes as well, if you go this route. Much more durable then a rattle can that relies solely on evaporation of a solvent to harden.
    Good to know, I'll file that aware for future reference.

Gorgeous day out today, so on a whim I pulled the fiberglass front bumper out of the basement just to eyeball what it'll look like.

It's not attached to anything in the pics. There will be some trimming involved to get it to fit properly along the sides, and I'll almost certainly end up putting a big central opening in the valence portion to help feed the radiator to keep things cool on track. For now, though, it's back in the basement.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Haven't done anything to the car recently, been trying to get my CTS-V (seen in the pics above) back on the road. But yesterday I agreed to buy a Gen 2 Coyote engine and controls pack, plus a GT350 intake manifold and TB. The guy's had the stuff for a couple years, but the intended project apparently never got off the ground. I've sent him a deposit and will go pick it up in the coming weeks.

Edit: It occurs to me that I need a hydroboost setup. I hope MM hasn't already had their "hydroboost-in-a-Fox" kit in their Weekend Deal, cuz I missed it!
    Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 11-12-2019 at 10:59 AM.

My brother and I made a quick () trip down to SC and back yesterday to pick up the Coyote engine and controls pack. Thanks to rather glacial roadside assistance response to a flat tire on the UHaul trailer, we got back to my house a bit after 2am Saturday (having left a bit after 6am Friday). Woke up later in the morning and a friend came over to help my brother and me manhandle the engine out of the trailer and into the garage. My friend actually did the truck-backing duties to get the trailer up to the garage (my trailer backing skills are limited, as are my brother's).

And yes, the garage is a pig sty. Having to rearrange things to get the engine in there actually made it better, believe it or not!
    Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 12-01-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Took advantage of the "Holley Days" sale to order a set of their Blackheart 1-3/4" Coyote swap long tubes; those should be delivered Saturday.

Also picked up a stainless steel '87-93 V8 Mustang brake line set from Classic Tube. That will be combined with a MM hydro-boost conversion setup, along with hydro-boost parts from the junkyard (which I have yet to source) to replace all of the original brake lines. I haven't determined yet how the brake lines will be done at the rear of the car, as I'm not certain yet if I'm going to do an IRS or stick with the solid axle.

Any updates?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Unfortunately, no. I've accumulated a bunch of parts, but haven't started doing anything. I've told myself that I need to finish up one of my other projects (a Subaru engine swap that I started literally years ago ) before I can start working on the Zephyr. I need to get off my ass and get working on the Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Unfortunately, no. I've accumulated a bunch of parts, but haven't started doing anything. I've told myself that I need to finish up one of my other projects (a Subaru engine swap that I started literally years ago ) before I can start working on the Zephyr. I need to get off my ass and get working on the Subaru.
    I wasn’t busting your balls or anything, I am also building a Zephyr and was looking for some inspiration lol. Your car is so nice.
    Good luck with your projects!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks! And don't worry, I didn't interpret your post as busting my balls - I'm just busting my own balls!

Haha haha

For hydro-boost, do what I did and just snag the whole pedal assembly, booster and master cylinder from an SN95 GT. Or find a Cobra and get the brakes as well.
    I've got Cobra front and rear brakes in mine, down to the proportioning valve (at least for plumbing...I'll put a properly adjusted one after I get the rest of the car assembled...someday...).

^^^ That is my intention, I haven't gotten around to grabbing the parts yet since it would just be adding more parts to the pile that won't be touched for a while. I have an email alert set up with the semi-local junkyard chain so I get notified any time an SN95 comes in. Most are V6s, but they've gotten GTs occasionally, so I should be able to snag the hydroboost off one when the time comes.

As for the brake hard parts (spindles and hubs and calipers and rotors), I've got all of that already - both a Mach1 setup and a bigger Roush/Alcon 4-piston setup. I have a set of cheap SN95 wheels that won't clear the Alcon calipers, so I figured when I initially do the suspension install and 5-lug swap that I'll use the Mach1 setup, since it'll fit with those wheels.

I used the MM hydro boost mounting kit, using ‘99-‘04 booster and master cylinder. That way I can keep the fox pedal. Also using ‘99-‘04 GT sized brakes with 5 lug axles and 94-95 spindles.
    Last edited by massacre; 09-25-2020 at 07:38 AM.

On a whim I took the car for a spin down the road and back. I haven't moved it in quite a while, but had been thinking about moving it recently. Step one was to get my '89 GT moving, since it sits in the driveway behind the Zephyr (both under car covers). I drove the Mustang a week or so ago, so it was at least somewhat alive. (Still runs like crap, and in the process of taking it for a spin I got stranded at a gas station for a bit because the battery didn't want to start it back up again and stupid me hadn't brought a jumper pack with me.)

Tonight I moved the '89 to the other side of the driveway, then took the cover off the Zephyr and tried to start it. Not surprisingly, having not been touched in months, it didn't have enough juice to start - it would barely turn over. I put the battery on the charger for a couple hours, then went out and was able to start it. It was 10:30 at night, no street lights in the neighborhood, filthy windshield, fogged up on the inside, and ancient headlights - the low beams weren't much more than a suggestion of light - I could hardly see a thing. I went down my street and back, maybe 3/4 of a mile, then stopped to clean the windshield a bit before going any farther than that. High beams worked well to navigate my way out of the neighborhood safely, and then once I was out on the main road I could see fine.

Got up to a whopping 50mph or so, drove about 5 miles total. Tomorrow I'll hide it under its cover again and let it go back into hibernation.

If you install either a late or early hydroboost unit in a Fox chassis car, it is not possible to keep the Fox brake pedal. The geometry will be wrong.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Over the weekend the wife and I moved from a rental house into our own house, and the Zephyr made the trip to the new place. I had started the car a couple days ahead of time in preparation, as I hadn't started it in a couple/few months, so when it came time to move it the engine started right up. Had to put air in all of the tires; they're new (as of a couple/few years ago, with <20mi on them), but since the car just sits in the driveway they were all down on pressure. I think this was the longest trip it's made, and that was a whopping 11-1/2 miles or so - about a 25min drive through suburbia in northern VA. The brakes were pretty sketchy, but other than that the car did just fine.

I still need to finish up working on another car before the Z7 can be pulled into the garage to really get to work on it's transformation. Some day...

By the time the Subaru is done, it may be time to put it in a museum.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    If you install either a late or early hydroboost unit in a Fox chassis car, it is not possible to keep the Fox brake pedal. The geometry will be wrong.
    Yes, you are correct. I just re-read my post and i was dead wrong.
    The MM kit comes with a new brake pedal that corrects the geometry.
    Sorry for the bad info, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    By the time the Subaru is done, it may be time to put it in a museum.
    Hey, it's only been 8 years since its EJ25D last ran!

Just testing, since someone else said they weren't able to upload any pics...
    Name:  Zephyr - rear end.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  256.7 KB

No real updates on this someday-I'll-get-to-it project, but I did meet up with someone from FB Marketplace yesterday to grab a Mustang GT front swaybar. I already have a rear swaybar - I bought a complete 8.8" rear end a couple years ago that came with the rear LCAs and swaybar.

Spent about 11hrs in my beater Subaru yesterday visiting two guys to pick up some parts - from the first I got a mostly complete '99 Cobra IRS, and from the second I got a decent set of '98 Cobra wheels.

The IRS doesn't have the springs or shocks, but that's no biggie, since they would've been replaced/upgraded anyway. It came with a box full of uninstalled, new-in-packaging Full Tilt Boogie IRS upgrade parts - bushings and fasteners and toe links, etc. The guy had fully disassembled the setup to install all the parts, then never finished the job. That actually worked to my advantage, because if the control arms and knuckles had been bolted to the subframe it would never have fit in the car! As it was, the subframe fit quite nicely into the back seat of my little Impreza coupe. And since everything is disassembled already it'll make it easy to clean things up, get some stuff powder coated, and install all the FTBR parts before the setup gets installed on the car.

The '98 Cobra wheels are, I think, the only 17x8" wheels that will clear the big brakes I've got. I assembled a rotor and caliper onto one of the knuckles/hubs and brought that with me so I could do a test fit at the guy's house. They do fit, but not by much - the fact that this setup I've got uses 13.5" rotors (rather than the 13" Cobra rotors) pushes the barrel clearance to the limit. I'll have to be careful with locating the balancing weights inside the wheel. In the longer term the plan will be to run bigger wheels, but to get things started the 17x8s and smaller, cheaper tires will be easier to work with.

One wheel on either side of the subframe in the back seat, one wheel in the passenger footwell behind the front passenger seat, and the last wheel in the front passenger seat. You can see one of the lower control arms (with bushing removed) poking out under the cardboard box, and can just see a bit of the rear subframe above the box. Axles, swaybar, diff carrier, and box of FTBR parts were in the trunk.
    Name:  carload of parts1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  390.9 KB
    Name:  carload of parts2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  409.9 KB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast