Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Can you provide more info. on the fiberglass bumper please

Quote Originally Posted by Boxtop78 View Post
    Can you provide more info. on the fiberglass bumper please
    There are a couple of different F/Z groups on Facebook ("FORD~Fairmont and Zephyrs 78-83 Classifieds", for instance). If you join one of those groups and look for a guy named Robert Samuel Walker, he's the one making/selling them. I don't know that he has any presence (website or whatever) off of FB. He's charging $375 shipped.

Patrick Olsen, Thank You

I should have my fiberglass front bumper / valance this week. It'll be a while before I permanently mount it on the car, but I'll at least do a mock-up in the near future and post up some pics. I've been thinking of my paint options. What I've kind of been leaning towards is painting the upper "bumper" portion of the fiberglass part with "chrome" rattle can paint, then the lower "valance" portion with flat black. That way it would kind of retain the stock look, plus that's something I can do myself pretty easily (since it would just be rattle can). Or, rather than doing "chrome" paint, I could just go with "aluminum", and either spray the rear bumper to match, or just hit it with a Scotchbrite pad to dull the polished aluminum.

Anyway, that's all something I'll worry about later...

For now, in anticipation of the fiberglass part arriving, I pulled the front bumper off so I could weigh it. Total weight on my postal scale was 39lb 6oz. That's a stock bumper with the bumperettes + the shock absorbers + all the mounting bolts. I think the fiberglass piece is supposed to ~10#, plus whatever I end up coming up with to mount it - should be a nice weight savings, all the way on the nose on the car, so a very good place to lose weight.

I did have to fight with the bumper shock absorbers a bit to remove them. On the rear, you remove the bolts that hold the shock absorbers in the frame rail (1 bolt on each side), and the whole assembly (bumper + shock absorbers) slides straight out. I assumed the front was the same, so I removed the two bolts that hold the shock absorbers into the frame rails and tried to pull the bumper off. No joy. I could move it a little bit on each side, but it wouldn't come off. Hmmm... I removed the 3 bolts on each side that hold the bumper to the shock absorbers and removed the bumper, leaving just the shock absorbers sticking out of the frame rails. As I was wiggling them and pulling on them and twisting them to try to get them out, I discovered that they have to twist 90deg, and then they slide right out. Aha!
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

I installed the rear bumper with the stock shocks to get some "before" pics, then took it off, put the shorter front shock absorbers on there, and then reinstalled it for some "after" pics. I gotta say, the 2" tuck looks pretty damn good - I'm not sure I'll bother trying to tuck it another inch (I had originally thought it needed to be tucked in 3-3.5" or so).

Before:

After:

I think I'll call it good for now. I'll have to take the bumper back off at some point to remove the steel reinforcements, and maybe some day I'll see about narrowing the bumper a little bit, but that's not likely to happen any time soon.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Member

Iíd say thatís just about perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lookin' good!

Mike
    1985 ascMcLaren 5.0 SC Roadster
    My '78 Fairmont build - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...539-78-Big-Red

Love the "after" pic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234