Close

Default NY5speed's 1983 Mustang GL "Build" Thread

Well it’s been a few years so I guess I should start a Member’s Ride thread. This is my 1983 Mustang GL, 3.8l V6, C5, notchback roughly how it appeared when I brought it home from my buddy’s dealership.

He acquired it in PA, the body and interior were in reasonable condition.

A little compound and polish brought the paint back to life a bit:

The car ran ok, the brakes were terrible and it bumpsteered badly. The V6/c5 combo also made it the slowest car I have ever owned but I didn’t really care as the plan at this point was to throw all of the original drivetrain and interior away and turn it into a coyote/t56/IRS street and track machine. The only modifications to the car were dual exhaust (which is some home-brew setup that doesn’t quite fit right) and the five lug conversion with tri-bars. The five lug conversion was done with one 94-95 spindle and one 96+ spindle… it was not ideal.

I corrected the spindle situation, added maximum motorsports bumpsteer kit and caster/camber plates, new shocks and struts and Ford B springs and threw some fresh tires on the tri-bars so I could drive it around for a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NY5speed; 01-14-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

After getting the four eye to where it was able to be driven reasonable safely, it was time to tighten up the interior. It had no headliner, dome light or trim when I brought it home and the rest of it needed a thorough cleaning.

I added a cupholder arm rest because... c'mon I need a cup holder.

A lot of the interior bits were loose and missing screws, some plastic tabs were broken. I got a headliner, dome light and an interior screw kit from NPD and got to fixing whatever I could.

I did a little cooling system overhaul when the radiator that was in it cracked. New LMR aluminum radiator, hoses, thermostat. I didn't take any pictures but I also changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor and reset the base timing (which was at like 5*!).

I also got a vanity plate for the old girl.
    Last edited by NY5speed; 01-15-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    -Randy

So after correcting the issues that the car came with and driving around a bit, I started scrapping the idea for ripping this car apart to make a racer out of it. I was falling for the old cruisery charm. Despite how un-quick it is, with a proper alignment and good tires it is still a blast to drive.

A fairly clean calypso '92 hatch fell in my lap so that one will get the severe modifications so I can keep the '83 a little more calm and period correct.

I robbed the four lug stuff and ten-holes from the '92 to get the four-eye a little closer to original (I prefer the look of the tribars on the aero body). I refinished the weathered ten-holes in gunmetal for an almost SSP look.

-Randy

So I am sure there is a bunch missing since I bought this car two and a half years ago. Now that I finally started this thread I'll do better keeping up to date with pictures and info. Plans have changed a bit since I got it, my hope now is to keep the cruiser attitude and just tighten everything up a little bit. I have a 351w from my f150 sitting on an engine stand just looking for a refresh and a new home, I'd like to make that fit under the stock hood. An 8.8 rear will be acquired next and I'll freshen the trac-lok (I enjoy that for some reason). Not going for tons of power, I'll leave the c5 until it gives up and then swap in a strengthened c4. That's the idea for now anyway. I'll update this as I make progress or change my mind some more haha...
    -Randy

Very nice car and great pics!

Thanks! Once we thaw out here (probably May...) I'll take her out for some fresh pics.
    -Randy

Nice coupe, same original color as mine.

So, are you planning to put the 351 in it? Will you be freshening up the 351 with anything special?

The 351 was running well when I pulled it out of the truck. I'll tear it down and see what kind of shape everything is in. If I can find a good deal on some better heads I'll go that route. At the very least it will get a more mustang-appropriate cam. It doesn't need to be fast, a moderately quick cruiser with a proper rumble will suit me just fine for this car.
    -Randy

Quick update. The weather is starting to break a little here so I went out to play in the garage a bit today. Tore the 351w down to the block, other than years of grime needing to be cleaned up, it looks pretty good! Since this will basically just be a budget, cruiser-build for the time being, I am going to do a little home-cleanup on the factory heads, grab an intake and a 4bbl, spec a more interesting cam and get ready to shoehorn this lump under the factory hood. I need to acquire some swap headers, a duraspark distributor and front cover for a mechanical fuel pump and I think I'm good to go. Any recommendations are welcome on the swap and/or associated parts. Pics to follow, thanks!
    -Randy

Not-so-great update (though the car is fine haha)

Unfortunately, after 5 years of helping rebuild an 80 year old company, my job was lost this week in some "corporate restructuring." If anyone has a good idea at where to price this car (or is interested in purchasing it) please let me know and I'll make a formal FS thread. I'd like to keep the car in this community for sure, it is a nice cruiser as-is or would be a very nice start to a project for someone.
    -Randy

Oh man Randy! That sucks so bad, I'm so sorry for you.

I hope you find a new job really fast brother.

Good luck to you.

Thanks Dave, it was a shock for sure. I have a little money set aside and a handful of photoshoots booked to hold me over while I regroup.
    -Randy

Life update... still out of full time work although I am keeping busy with photo shoots. My newly found "free time" has allowed me to take advantage of a scholarship I was offered so I am back in school full time now working towards my CPA (and masters). That said, I really don't have a ton of spare time or spare funds and do need to thin the herd a bit.

Got to take a few nice drives with the 83 this summer... weather is starting to turn here. If anyone local would like to come have a look or a drive before I put her up for the winter, let me know. I have some 351w swap parts I could pass along to a new owner (heck I have a nice 88 f150 shell I'd be willing to pass along too!). Pm me for details.
    -Randy

Well... I haven't updated this in a looooong time. I spent the last 2.5 years managing the sales department at a cool shop in Syracuse while I finished my Bachelor's Degree (summa *** laude). Master's degree will be done in Dec and I just started as a staff accountant at a great firm this week. Enough about me, back to the car.

I put together a pretty basic 351W - Mild comp cam, comp roller rockers, Edelbrock heads, Performer RPM Air Gap intake, Holley 670 street avenger, and ARP hardware everywhere. That's mated to the stock C5 for the time being. I need to build a C4 or c4/c5 hybrid of sorts (or just 5sp swap it... we'll see). Exhaust is BBK shorties and x-pipe into a pretty nice magnaflow cat-back. I got a trac-lok for the 7.5 while I source another 8.8. If anyone in the Northeast has an 8.8 (or cobra IRS!) laying around, please lmk.

I'll dig up some more progress photos (and take more as I move along with other upgrades). But here she is as of a few days ago:
    Name:  p2566046604-4.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  309.7 KBName:  p2566046629-4.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  318.7 KB
    -Randy

About 500 miles of "spirited" driving was all all the old c5 could take it seems. T5Z swap is underway along with a bunch of other updates, the first of which was finally installing the 8.8 rear I built a few years back. Trac-loc rebuilt with GT500 clutches, 3.73 gears, Ford girdle diff cover, TC Disk brakes and stainless hoses. New stock UCAs, MM Adjustable LCAs, Koni Yellows. Stay Tuned for more...

Name:  IMG_8832.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  183.3 KB
    -Randy