Close



Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Default 88 Turbo Bird rough start up

    I have a 1988 Turbo TBird, and the car runs pretty good for its age but it has a very persistent issue on start up. The car will stutter several times from 250 rpm to 1250rpm but will stop after running for about 15 seconds and run fine after. I have tracked down a few bad parts but nothing seems to be affecting the main start up problem. Timing is set at 10, it is a hotter coil, 8mm wires and copper plugs. I have taken the car to another shop and even they could not identify the problem.

  2. #2
    FEP Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Roseburg Oregon
    Posts
    3,237

    Default

    Have you checked fuel preasure .
    I am assuming you are stating this happens when cold after sitting over nite ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

  3. #3

    Default

    It happens at random. sometimes it happens on cold starts and sometimes it happens when the car has been running. I am running about 35psi of fuel pressure. I had this problem before, and found the alternator was over charging cutting the spark. but now it is back and it is not the spark that I am losing.

  4. #4

    Default

    Check grounds.

  5. #5

    Default

    How many ground wires are there in the engine bay? I have checked the, ground above the break booster, left of the cylinder head on the fire wall, battery grounds, head light and horn grounds. I know that I missed some, where else should I look?

  6. #6

    Default

    Codes.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

  7. #7

    Default

    I will check for codes, but I am going to put the car off to the side for awhile due to the turbo seals going out. Waiting on parts

  8. #8

    Default

    Long awaited update, I have the over charging issue solved(bad regulator and under sized pulley) but now i have the problem of the car stuttering on cold starts or when an electric load is applied(mashing the brakes and turning the headlights on at the same time) I hooked up an inline spark tester and when it does stutter it is losing spark at the coil. I have been talking to my 2.3 turbo guy and says that it is a common problem but dont know how to fix it. wondering is anyone has looked into this problem.

  9. #9

    Default

    What codes do you get? Takes 5 mins and a paper clip.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    What codes do you get? Takes 5 mins and a paper clip.
    I will check for codes sometime this week, anything else too check?

  11. #11

    Default

    There's lots of things you can check, but I find making sure the sensors all work properly is a good first step. The computer does this automatically as well as storing codes if its an intermittent issue even if the "check engine" light isn't on.

    The only reason I push so hard on codes is because I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars chasing down an issue that didn't even end up being a problem. It was a broken vacuum line on the map sensor. Even though the computer didn't know the vacuum line was broken, it did know that it wasn't getting enough vacuum and pinpointed the map sensor as something to check.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    There's lots of things you can check, but I find making sure the sensors all work properly is a good first step. The computer does this automatically as well as storing codes if its an intermittent issue even if the "check engine" light isn't on.

    The only reason I push so hard on codes is because I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars chasing down an issue that didn't even end up being a problem. It was a broken vacuum line on the map sensor. Even though the computer didn't know the vacuum line was broken, it did know that it wasn't getting enough vacuum and pinpointed the map sensor as something to check.
    I pulled for codes and found none in the system, checked my vacuum lines again and for proper firing order. What would be the next steps to take?

  13. #13

    Default

    No codes or a pass code? Because no codes mean the computer isn't working.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    No codes or a pass code? Because no codes mean the computer isn't working.
    Sorry, got code 11 thats all my little reader told me.

  15. #15

    Default

    Could the ignition module be going in and out, intermittent? When the distributer was replaced the extinction on the ratchet bumped the hot lug on the back of the alternator, could that have caused an issue. The alternator has been replaced along with all relays and fusses.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •